Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4S Radiator(s) question(s) + Happy Father's Day

Old 06-17-2018, 01:28 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default C4S Radiator(s) question(s) + Happy Father's Day

Congratulations Porsche for the your LeMan's performance this year. As a Prius hybrid and 911 owner, I feel more part of this win than the last time the KU Jayhawks won the Final Four.

And Happy Father's Day to all the 911 owners that picked this car for its ability to put a toddler in the rear seat. My guy loves riding in 'daddy's car'. And I got him a matching Hot Wheels that he calls 'mine car'.

So on to the radiators questions. Mine appears to have 5 after cleaning all of the leaves out of it. From left to right looking at the front of the car (C4S)

Passenger medium upper = ??
Passenger lower slit = ??
Center large unit = ??
Driver medium upper = ??
Driver lower slit = ??

I vacuumed 5 cigarette butts from the driver's side and none from the passengers side ? Was the PO a tailgater that had revenge exacted on him by people tossing butts out their drivers window????

The leaves that were found were all very stiff and appeared to have no chance of decaying anytime soon. They often layered over in the same area so thankfully they didn't cause any over heating.

As noted before temps are 200 for oil and 175 for water. This has been consistent since I bought the car and typical Texas heat.

It took 45 minutes to get every single bit out. The DIY grill guards are definitely in my future.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:07 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

AC condenser (this is driver's side) is in front of the radiator, with electric fan behind that. Debris you see at top of radiator is not accessible with bumper in place.

AC condenser can be moved enough to clear debris in front of radiator.
Cleaning out the intakes what you can see is good, but to do a really thorough job requires removing the front bumper. There's a lot of debris that builds up between the AC condensers and the side radiators. My car's a MT so doesn't have the third radiator as your PDK car does. Removing the bumper is a bit fiddly but IMO is easiest if you put the car up (at least front end) and remove the front wheels. Single fasteners behind the side marker lights were a b*tch going back in.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:25 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Did you have a cause to go that deep ? An alarm or code ?
Old 06-17-2018, 04:40 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

This is driver's side condenser and radiator. Notice how the debris build-up on lower right corner of the radiator has started corrosion of the metal, as it deteriorates and turns acidic. Cleaning this junk out will prolong component life. It's worth doing once a year in my opinion.
I'm a DIYer, so am learning how to work on the car. This falls in category of basic maintenance, so no codes. There's some good YouTube videos on this project - see Burner's Cars or Van Svenson.

Last edited by swingwing; 06-17-2018 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Added sentence.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:58 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

I spent most of my time in those corners on both driver and pass sides.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:57 AM
ocgarza
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Meursault88
Congratulations Porsche for the your LeMan's performance this year. As a Prius hybrid and 911 owner, I feel more part of this win than the last time the KU Jayhawks won the Final Four.

And Happy Father's Day to all the 911 owners that picked this car for its ability to put a toddler in the rear seat. My guy loves riding in 'daddy's car'. And I got him a matching Hot Wheels that he calls 'mine car'.

So on to the radiators questions. Mine appears to have 5 after cleaning all of the leaves out of it. From left to right looking at the front of the car (C4S)

Passenger medium upper = ??
Passenger lower slit = ??
Center large unit = ??
Driver medium upper = ??
Driver lower slit = ??

I vacuumed 5 cigarette butts from the driver's side and none from the passengers side ? Was the PO a tailgater that had revenge exacted on him by people tossing butts out their drivers window????

The leaves that were found were all very stiff and appeared to have no chance of decaying anytime soon. They often layered over in the same area so thankfully they didn't cause any over heating.

As noted before temps are 200 for oil and 175 for water. This has been consistent since I bought the car and typical Texas heat.

It took 45 minutes to get every single bit out. The DIY grill guards are definitely in my future.
The leaves were probably from live oak trees. I have five in my yard and am convinced if you could sew them together, they would stop a bullet. They never seem to decay and even my lawn mower with a recycling blade will rarely cut those leaves into smaller pieces. I'm in Victoria TX and my oil temp is the same as yours, 200 for most driving, although it will rise in August if you are in stop n go traffic. After a short warm up, my water temp is always at 175, even in stop n go traffic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C4S Radiator(s) question(s) + Happy Father's Day