Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 07:27 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
5w is good to -20F cold starts.

I'd be more concerned if you do drive the car in the winter that if you do short drives, that you follow a shorter service interval. It is very important that you get the oil to 215F to get the moisture out of it.
Thanx for responding Charles! Always appreciated.
Porsche must be more conservative as my manual notes 5W down to -13F..... Anywho..... If Porsche says it is fine, then I have no problem using it in the winter.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 10-06-2019, 09:57 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 678 Likes on 321 Posts

5w is good to -20F cold starts.

I'd be more concerned if you do drive the car in the winter that if you do short drives, that you follow a shorter service interval. It is very important that you get the oil to 215F to get the moisture out of it.
random thread to ask this question, I have a third radiator and now that it’s in the 50’s the oil struggles to get above this temp unless significant stop and go traffic. It get to about 200-205. Do you recommend covering it during the fall and spring? It’s great in the summer. I’ve been making a point of it to get it to 212 but it’s a chore putz’ing around town before I put the car away.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:05 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by rtl5009
random thread to ask this question, I have a third radiator and now that it’s in the 50’s the oil struggles to get above this temp unless significant stop and go traffic. It get to about 200-205. Do you recommend covering it during the fall and spring? It’s great in the summer. I’ve been making a point of it to get it to 212 but it’s a chore putz’ing around town before I put the car away.
Don't worry about it as that is what the thermostat is for. It fully opens before 200 anyway and if you follow what LN Engineering says a lower thermostat opening, 161, is better. I don't have a third radiator and live in Texas and I rarely see my oil temp get above 200 unless I am pushing it hard. Just enjoy the ride.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:22 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by rtl5009
I'll second doclouie's sentiment. Just drive it. It will be very difficult in colder climates to get the oil to 212F. That's why I recommend more frequent oil changes on daily drivers in colder climates. The oil in my parent's GTI looks horrible after 3 months, but it only gets driven about one mile to and from our office, and rarely sees extended use. In the winter, the oil never gets hot.

I'll clarify thermostat operation as it was brought up by doclouie - the stock thermostat starts to open at 186F and isn't fully open until 210-215F. When coolant temperature lowers closer to 186F, the thermostat will start to close and will cycle between various shades of open during normal operation.

The low temperature thermostat starts to open at 160F and is fully open by 185F.

The gen 2 cars can be fitted with a low temp thermostat, however often it will trigger a pending CEL for cooling system. Nothing that will affect operation, but may cause a CEL. Porsche Motorsports sold one and we later had our own made for all our track cars.

981/991 use a computer controlled thermostat, so short of coding the car for Sahara (which apparently lowers the opening temp to 160F - I cannot confirm), coolant temp is managed by the ECU.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:15 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

I'll second doclouie's sentiment. Just drive it. It will be very difficult in colder climates to get the oil to 212F. That's why I recommend more frequent oil changes on daily drivers in colder climates. The oil in my parent's GTI looks horrible after 3 months, but it only gets driven about one mile to and from our office, and rarely sees extended use. In the winter, the oil never gets hot.

I'll clarify thermostat operation as it was brought up by doclouie - the stock thermostat starts to open at 186F and isn't fully open until 210-215F. When coolant temperature lowers closer to 186F, the thermostat will start to close and will cycle between various shades of open during normal operation.

The low temperature thermostat starts to open at 160F and is fully open by 185F.

The gen 2 cars can be fitted with a low temp thermostat, however often it will trigger a pending CEL for cooling system. Nothing that will affect operation, but may cause a CEL. Porsche Motorsports sold one and we later had our own made for all our track cars.

981/991 use a computer controlled thermostat, so short of coding the car for Sahara (which apparently lowers the opening temp to 160F - I cannot confirm), coolant temp is managed by the ECU.
Charles, I will be changing out my 997.2 water pump and thermostat this winter. I want to run your low temperature thermostat, but wonder about the check engine light that most likely will come up. Will the CEL turn on one time and stay on forever until it is cleared by my scanner? Will the CEL turn on one time because it is taking long to heat up and the next time not at all? Thanks for your comments in advanced.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:57 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie
Charles, I will be changing out my 997.2 water pump and thermostat this winter. I want to run your low temperature thermostat, but wonder about the check engine light that most likely will come up. Will the CEL turn on one time and stay on forever until it is cleared by my scanner? Will the CEL turn on one time because it is taking long to heat up and the next time not at all? Thanks for your comments in advanced.
It's not consistent. Sometimes it's a pending fault that doesn't throw a CEL and other times it sets a hard fault that requires it to be cleared out by a scanner. That's why we only install them in race cars in .2 cars. Regardless, it doesn't put the car in limp mode.
Old 10-27-2019, 03:21 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

It's not consistent. Sometimes it's a pending fault that doesn't throw a CEL and other times it sets a hard fault that requires it to be cleared out by a scanner. That's why we only install them in race cars in .2 cars. Regardless, it doesn't put the car in limp mode.
Thanks Charles. My car up to this point has not been tracked. I am in the fence if I want to go there or not. Depends on the day. I will need to just make a call in what thermostat to install. Cheers.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:20 PM
SF997S
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Welcome...incredible oil! Have you offered us any coupons or specials yet??
Old 11-28-2019, 09:54 AM
Nick_L
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 60 Posts

Mr.Motul: I have a base model 996 with around 100k miles on it. Which oil would you recommend for the following usages:
1. Daily driver, no track
2. Week-end driver, 2-3 track days per year
3. Seldom driver, 2-3 track days per year
4. Seldom driver, no track.
5. Track days only

Old 12-02-2019, 02:39 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Motul
Thank you! We should have a discount specifically for Rennlist members in December to coincide with a partnership announcement we are making.
Ok, It is December now.. where are the deals?? I'll need to do an oil change for my car soon
Also, if you can recommend the right oil types based on the previous post (below), that would also be great.

Originally Posted by Nick_L
Mr.Motul: I have a base model 996 with around 100k miles on it. Which oil would you recommend for the following usages:
1. Daily driver, no track
2. Week-end driver, 2-3 track days per year
3. Seldom driver, 2-3 track days per year
4. Seldom driver, no track.
5. Track days only
Old 12-03-2019, 02:45 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 105 Posts

Here is what I would recommend:
1. 8100 X-cess 5W40 in most cases, 8100 X-Max 0W-40 in colder climates.
2. Motul Sport 5W-40 contains Ester/PAO that holds up well to some track abuse and a longer drain interval (~5,000 miles), if okay with changing the oil every 3,000 miles then 300V is preferred.
3. Motul 300V, change after each track day
4. Motul Sport 5W40 if higher mileage with no warranty concerns, Esters bond to porous metals and offer great protection for cold starts after sitting for extended periods.
6. Motul 300V 0W-40 or 5W-40, ideally it should be changed after every track day.

This will depend on the car, but that would be the best recommendation for your 996 with that mileage. If you are running a built motor with higher horsepower than 300V would be recommended for any track use.

The best deal right now is during the RallySportDirect.com Cyber Week deal with 15% off, though shipping is only free with $200+ purchase and Amazon will have the best deals for smaller orders fo popular products like 8100 X-Cess 5W40.

We are working out a deal for Rennlist members specifically later in the month.

Thank you,
Nolan
Thanks for the reply. I'll scout for deals on RallySportDirect and also Amazon then
--shyam
Old 12-04-2019, 08:48 AM
Nick_L
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 60 Posts

Thank you very much for the recommendation.

Your recommendations crashes a bit with my knowledge of oils and I think I need to have my oil-knowledge updated a bit.

From my understanding it is advisable to use a heavier oil when you expect a hotter engine, like in the case of track driving/hot weather, so I would assume a 50 weight oil is more suitable for that. The same goes for old engine which is worn and have larger clearances, a heavier oil would be recommended.

I also thought that the winter weight had no play when the engine was at working temperature but I see your recommendations for track just differs in winter weight which I would assume makes no difference except for cold start.

Is it the modern oils and their additives that makes this knowledge a bit out date?

Here is what I would recommend:
1. 8100 X-cess 5W40 in most cases, 8100 X-Max 0W-40 in colder climates.
2. Motul Sport 5W-40 contains Ester/PAO that holds up well to some track abuse and a longer drain interval (~5,000 miles), if okay with changing the oil every 3,000 miles then 300V is preferred.
3. Motul 300V, change after each track day
4. Motul Sport 5W40 if higher mileage with no warranty concerns, Esters bond to porous metals and offer great protection for cold starts after sitting for extended periods.
6. Motul 300V 0W-40 or 5W-40, ideally it should be changed after every track day.

Quick Reply: Introduction: Motul