Abnormal wear on rotor

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 10:22 AM
Bulldawg2001
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abnormal wear on rotor

Hey all,
I recently purchased a 2006 4s and have been fixing up a few minor issues that were found on the PPI. One that I could use some input on is abnormal wear on my front driver's side brake rotor. See pics below. It appears that the brake pad isn't making contact with the outermost ~1/2" of the outside of the rotor as you can see by the rust. The inside of the rotor appears normal. The pads are in really good shape. The car doesn't pull when driving or when braking. I haven't gone to the trouble of taking the caliper completely off yet. Any suggestions as to what could be causing this and how I could remedy?

Many thanks![img]

Old 06-16-2018, 11:30 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 243 Likes on 159 Posts

Not a mechanic. But have 9 cars and do a lot of brakes. And this is just my opinion based on experience.

After years of swapping pads and rotors for many reasons including uneven wear, I finally figured out how to make them last like new. It's always the hardware. Brake dust builds up and things rust and the pads don't retract evenly. Take everything apart and clean it, especially the pins, and put back together.

May solve the problem or may be too late. I have had it go both ways. But for an hours work and a can a brake clean it's worth a try.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:05 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Subscribed
Old 06-16-2018, 12:53 PM
ronvanr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

If your 997 is not a daily driver, sounds like a good excuse to remove and rebuild/paint the caliper. Fun project if you have time. I'm not sure about the rotter; I'll let other discuss if it is still good. Not sure if that type of uneven wear would cause any time of pulsing while breaking.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:08 PM
swartzzz
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Brake Pad Sweep

It would be my suggestion to swap pads from the front of the caliper to the back and etc. Can you look at the rear of the rotor? Are you seeing the same issue?
Old 06-16-2018, 01:23 PM
Bulldawg2001
Track Day

thanks for the replies. Yes I can see the rear of the rotor and the same issue is NOT happening.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:49 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

I assume only one rotor looks that way. You have to back-track why this is happening. It could the rotor, pad, or the caliper anchor points, or even the caliper bolts itself.

At the very least, jack up the car and check the caliper bolts to see it it is torque down correctly. Those 2 bolts are tight and you need a good torque wrench. Secondly, the uneven wear could be attributed to the pads's backing plate and the anchor points. There are 2 protrusions anchor positions that the pad slips onto. Check to see if the pads are binding on them. Quite often after market pads' sizing are not consistent and when you slip into the slots and it seems to fit, but in reality they don't sit perpendicularly to the rotor surface and that would cause even rotor wear. Thirdly check the rotor to see if it is defective. It should be flat around the entire circumference of the rotor. There will be acceptable tolerances, but surely not as obvious as in your case if this is the cause. Now if you don't turn wrench yourself, the best option is to visit a shop to let them figure it out.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:07 PM
Bulldawg2001
Track Day

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Is regular brake cleaner ok to use on these calipers? I would assume so, but wanted to double check.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:28 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 243 Likes on 159 Posts

Yep. Regular brake cleaner. If you are disassembling everything be careful of the sensor. Sometimes hard to get off without breaking it. And if you have to replace it get the cheapest one you can find.

Quick Reply: Abnormal wear on rotor