Sponsored by:

my FIRST oil change. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 07:11 PM
joe084S
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default my FIRST oil change. HELP

So I just bought my first Porsche in novenmber on 2017. it is a 2008 4s X51 PCCB PSE car. it has 66000 miles on the car and I decided to change the oil in the car yesterday. this is my first time doing this on the car, yes I have changed oil in tons of cars and I am not a complete moron lol.

I put in a new OEM oil filter with gasket and new drain plug all from my local Porsche dealer. I did everything which was super easy and no issues at all. The owners manual calls for 8.7 quarts and that is what I put in the car. I used Mobile 1 0-w40 btw.

I started the car and let it warm up for about 10 minutes then shut the car off. waited about 2 -3 minutes then turned key to ignition on and ran the oil level check. It took 10 minutes to run and after it was done it is showing FULL. The oil level light bar is completely lit up even above the higher line on the oil level bar.

My question is should I drain some oil out of the car? is it okay where it is? should I run the oil level test on a cold car or warm? any help would be great at this point. I just don't want to drive it if there is to much oil in the car and possible cause damage to the engine.

Thanks guys,
Joe
Old 06-14-2018, 07:17 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

You check cold. If tomorrow the bars are all lite, I'd take some out, because you don't know how much over you are with the gauge fully lite, all bars.

How long did you let it drain? You're not that much over. Maybe 300-400 mls over.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:56 PM
joe084S
Instructor

I let it drain for about 15 minutes from the plug and about 5 minutes from the filter houseing
Old 06-14-2018, 10:39 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

I see your problem here... you used Mobil 1. haha j/k

Did you prime the oil filter or install it dry? Check it tomorrow before starting your engine. It'll only take 6 secs to get a measurement.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:26 AM
larrysb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Which engine?

When I bought my 2011, it had just had an oil change and was a bit overfilled. Wasn't entirely sure how to interpret the oil meter function on the dashboard, but quickly found out that it meant it was over-filled. I got messages every so-many miles "check oil level" and a puff of smoke on start up a couple of days later. I started over and put in less oil, got to the middle of the range on the oil meter and left it there. It's been happy ever since. Over the years, I've found that most cars are happier with the oil a bit on the low side than a bit over the line. Best spot is right in the middle of the range on the dipstick and presumably, the electronic display.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:13 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,154 Likes on 3,923 Posts

You're at least a 1/4 to a 1/2 quart overfull based on your process. These cars need to drain for an hour at least in order to get anywhere near the capacity back in listed in the spec sheet. As others have said, .1 cars should be checked level and cold, before the first start in the morning. Once you start the car, which you have to do after an oil change to finish filling the filter, you can't get an accurate level reading until the next morning. Once it's started, it will always read low, so since yours is reading high after the first start, it's a good bit high, which can foul your plugs and damage your AOS. You can remove small quantities by removing and dumping the filter - only what's in the filter plus a little will come out. I would bet you may need to do this once or twice to get into a proper spot on the gauge. It's better to run these cars 1 segment down from the full arrow (which is half a segment down from the top of the gauge) than to run them overfull. It's not like the cars in the old days where the little bit of excess will just harmlessly burn off.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:02 AM
joe084S
Instructor

so it sounds like I need to drain a little bit out. ill just loosen the drain plug and let a little out then check the level and add if need be.

Thanks for the help and im glad I decided to not drive the car until I resolve the issue
Old 06-15-2018, 11:06 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joe084S
so it sounds like I need to drain a little bit out. ill just loosen the drain plug and let a little out then check the level and add if need be.

Thanks for the help and im glad I decided to not drive the car until I resolve the issue
That's easier said than done. You might end up with a gusher on your hands and throwing away 8 quarts of brand new oil. The filter removal technique is the easier and safer way to remove some.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:08 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Do the oil filter trick mentioned above by Petza914. Much easier. Do one or 2 times. Next oil change, drain hot-hot oil for about an hour. Hey, at least you drained the oil and not the gear lube! Yes, others have done that, and still added 8 quarts of oil to the motor, and drove without gear lube.

EDIT: ha, I see Petza914 is a fast poster this morning, and beat me to it.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:12 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

You're never going to get ALL the oil out of the engine no matter how long you let it drain.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:32 PM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I let it drain for about 15 minutes from the plug and about 5 minutes from the filter houseing
There's your problem. Oil just keeps coming and coming and coming. You need to let it drain for an hour.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:37 PM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Petza914
You're at least a 1/4 to a 1/2 quart overfull based on your process. These cars need to drain for an hour at least in order to get anywhere near the capacity back in listed in the spec sheet. As others have said, .1 cars should be checked level and cold, before the first start in the morning. Once you start the car, which you have to do after an oil change to finish filling the filter, you can't get an accurate level reading until the next morning. Once it's started, it will always read low, so since yours is reading high after the first start, it's a good bit high, which can foul your plugs and damage your AOS. You can remove small quantities by removing and dumping the filter - only what's in the filter plus a little will come out. I would bet you may need to do this once or twice to get into a proper spot on the gauge. It's better to run these cars 1 segment down from the full arrow (which is half a segment down from the top of the gauge) than to run them overfull. It's not like the cars in the old days where the little bit of excess will just harmlessly burn off.
Yep, that's why OP is overfilled. In (semi or full) dry sump engines the oil just keep coming and coming. Its like relying on gravity to bleed your brakes. Eventually you'll get there but its gonna take some time.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:57 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OnlineAlias
There's your problem. Oil just keeps coming and coming and coming. You need to let it drain for an hour.
This is also why you can't get an accurate level reading except first thing in the morning after it has all drained back to the pan. Once you start it you're done with readings for the day. On a trip, resist the OCD response of stopping for lunch which lets the level check timer reset, then checking the oil, having it read low and you wanting to add some. Next check would be the next morning.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:44 PM
joe084S
Instructor

so just remove the oil filter and dump out what is in there? not 100% sure what the "oil filter method" is.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:48 PM
joe084S
Instructor

also, the car was sitting for a couple days before I changed the oil so Id imagine that most of the oil was in the pan when I drained it.

Quick Reply: my FIRST oil change. HELP