Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Functional Aerokits for 2009 997.2 Carrera 2

Old 06-16-2018, 12:25 AM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
Just buy a GT3. There are things about the GT3 that will be very hard to replicate with a Carrera as a base car.

Even if you did, the cost to get there will be huge—likely more than buying a GT3.

Also, there are things that you would not be likely to replicate, such as seam welding the chassis for additional stiffness.

If you ever sell the car, a highly modified Carrera will be a big losing financial proposition. The GT3 has a much better chance of retaining your original investment.
Hence why I wanted to make sure it was functional first and foremost. I would not want to hurt performance (not even thinking of resale) for the sake of appearance. Problem with the "Just buy a GT3" ... is they have gone up in price to where unless I am willing to put myself into big debt, it's just not going to happen. It's okay, I'll figure it out. I have a few more ducks that need to be lined up. Plus asking about adding after market aero components to a car I do not even own is rather premature. LOL ... thanks for the feedback to all.

PS: Want to talk about modding another car I do not even own? I test drove a different car today, a 997.2 3.8L C2S equipped with PDK and I hated the thumb shifters on the steering wheel and doing manual shifts on the shifter is backwards in regards to how you shift sequential shifters. In other words to shift up you press forward on the shifter and to downshift you pull back on the shifter? What? That does not seem right but that's how you do it on the 997.2 and it really messed me up. But how about swapping out the stock 997.2 PDK steering wheel and replacing it with a wheel with paddle shifters? Now that would be the bomb. Of course here I am again talking about modding a car I don't even own. haha
Old 06-16-2018, 09:38 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
Hence why I wanted to make sure it was functional first and foremost. I would not want to hurt performance (not even thinking of resale) for the sake of appearance. Problem with the "Just buy a GT3" ... is they have gone up in price to where unless I am willing to put myself into big debt, it's just not going to happen. It's okay, I'll figure it out. I have a few more ducks that need to be lined up. Plus asking about adding after market aero components to a car I do not even own is rather premature. LOL ... thanks for the feedback to all.

PS: Want to talk about modding another car I do not even own? I test drove a different car today, a 997.2 3.8L C2S equipped with PDK and I hated the thumb shifters on the steering wheel and doing manual shifts on the shifter is backwards in regards to how you shift sequential shifters. In other words to shift up you press forward on the shifter and to downshift you pull back on the shifter? What? That does not seem right but that's how you do it on the 997.2 and it really messed me up. But how about swapping out the stock 997.2 PDK steering wheel and replacing it with a wheel with paddle shifters? Now that would be the bomb. Of course here I am again talking about modding a car I don't even own. haha
Even if a GT3 is not in the cards, you may do better looking for a car that has already been set up for the track.

The reason is, the sale price will reflect a deep discount on all the aftermarket items you need. Ideally, find a car that is/was owned by a DE instructor with track experience. That way you get a car well sorted for the job out of the box and spare yourself the large expense of modifying a stock street car, which is going to cost you a whole lot more than you think.

Here is an example of a car ready to go....

https://showroom.windingroad.com/listings/product/3687/

Tell me you can do that for $50,000, including the cost of the donor car.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:52 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,124 Likes on 3,900 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2

Yes, you can do real paddles on a PDK car with left to downshift and right to upshift. I think sandwedge posted a photo of his paddle shifter wheel in another thread yesterday if you search for it.

I hate the thumb buttons for the Tip in my 09 Cayenne Turbo S too so I bought Mercedes paddles and sm going yo mid the Cayenne steering wheel to have real paddles in addition to the thumb buttons as well.

Last edited by Petza914; 06-16-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:32 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Functional Aerokits for 2009 997.2 Carrera 2