Sponsored by:

Metal Shavings in the Oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 07:52 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,070 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Another thing to check into. Porsche sells short blocks for the 996 for $6500. Not sure the cost of a 3.8, but worth a look.
Shortblock, yes shortblock, from the dealer is outrageously priced:

M97.013.8 Liter05-08 Carrera S, 06-08 Carrera 4S, 07-08 Targa 4S997 100 997 TX$17,450.72

List is over $19k and core charge is over $6k.

Once you make it a complete engine, you're in the price range of a track performer from Flat 6 Innovations, and with the factory engine, it's bone stock with zero improvements.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:54 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groovzilla
I think everyone here is getting there panties in a bind.
That oil filter debris doesn't look that bad - I've seen 996's with worse and cause was just normal wear with no possibility of a bad engine or in need of rebuild.
Change the oil, have fun and drive it and then check out the filter after 3K miles
That's not normal wear and tear. Guaranteed. There is internal damage. How long it continues to be driven will dictate what else might get damaged or if it ends up windowing the block. Then you have no core and your only choice is to buy a used engine and roll the dice.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:09 PM
rednerrus
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Here is my post from last year on the aluminum bits I found and tips and steps to drop the oil pain.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...er-debris.html

Dropping the pan is pretty easy if you have jack stands and a expert in your area willing to assist, like Wayne Smith did with me. It will also give you the ability to scope the bottom of the cylinders, which is where the scoring is typically found, vs going through the plugs.

What area do you live in? Maybe we can get some local volunteers to help out.
I live in So Cal. I would love it if I can get some help here. I have a Porsche friend whos mechanically inclined but even he has never dropped the oil pan.

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Swap your engine + a bit of cash (i'd say $10-15k) with the guy who wants to build a 4.0 here from a perfectly good 997.1 2006 C4S X51 engine
???

Edit:
After thinking about this a bit the ONLY downside I see for either of you is no longer having matching engine numbers to your chassis.
You get a (assuming) perfectly good UPGRADED X51 engine and he gets his build nearly half subsidized. And obviously you split the cost to R&R the swapped engines.
Thats an option. But not at the moment since I dont have that cash lying around for a swap.

Originally Posted by OnlineAlias
I can't say this is very ethical, but you could trade it in. In fact, given that you don't really know anything is wrong with it at all for certain, you could almost rationalize it ethically.

Find a nice 997.2 at a Porsche dealer and rock out?
The was actually the first thing that came to mind when they told me they found metal scrapings in the filter lol. I mean yeah its not for sure. And the stealers will definitely low ball me anyways. I would make a PSA here with the vin number.

Originally Posted by dgjks6
How long since the last oil change?
I changed it at 47 k, around 5 months ago.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:51 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Where in SoCal are you located?

It's not that difficult to remove.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:45 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,418 Likes on 2,693 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
That's not normal wear and tear. Guaranteed. There is internal damage. How long it continues to be driven will dictate what else might get damaged or if it ends up windowing the block. Then you have no core and your only choice is to buy a used engine and roll the dice.
I am not a mechanic but I have to respectfully disagree with your conclusion that the oil filter shown cut open posted by the OP is cause for concern.
My first 996 had 62K miles on it when I purchased it and my 1st oil change at 62,300 showed MORE metal flakes than the OP's photo.
I drove that car and sold it at 123K miles and never any issues. I have also seen friends oil filters in 964's 993'a with the same amount of metal flakes and there were never any issues with their cars.
Am I missing something here?
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (01-06-2022)
Old 06-15-2018, 06:16 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

I am not a mechanic but I have to respectfully disagree with your conclusion that the oil filter shown cut open posted by the OP is cause for concern.
My first 996 had 62K miles on it when I purchased it and my 1st oil change at 62,300 showed MORE metal flakes than the OP's photo.
I drove that car and sold it at 123K miles and never any issues. I have also seen friends oil filters in 964's 993'a with the same amount of metal flakes and there were never any issues with their cars.
Am I missing something here?
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I get at least one failure email a day if not more and we also service cars in our shop and debris is not normal in any filter.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:50 PM
GT3_ISH
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this were me, I'd drive the car (assuming that it still drives normal) another 200 miles or so and change it again. This time I'd inspect the filter AND send an oil sample out to have it analyzed. Yes, you're potentially risking a valuable core, but I think you'd have a better idea of whats going on once you got that sample back.
Robocop305 (01-06-2022)
Old 06-15-2018, 07:12 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3_ISH
If this were me, I'd drive the car (assuming that it still drives normal) another 200 miles or so and change it again. This time I'd inspect the filter AND send an oil sample out to have it analyzed. Yes, you're potentially risking a valuable core, but I think you'd have a better idea of whats going on once you got that sample back.
Not a bad suggestion. Be sure to pull the pan as well and clean it. If nothing reappears in the filter at 200 miles, then perhaps you've dodged a bullet. I would reinspect the pan again at that point as well. If you don't have a magnetic drain plug, I'd put one.

The spin on oil filter adapter which eliminates the bypass would help prevent any debris from being re-ingested into the engine.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:56 AM
rednerrus
Advanced

Thanks everyone. My current plan is to drive it locally here and there, drop the pan and change oil and filter. Get oil sample to be analyzed (btw where do I do this?)
Also, how much more would it cost me if I end up ruining my core?
Robocop305 (01-06-2022)
Old 06-16-2018, 08:21 AM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rednerrus
Thanks everyone. My current plan is to drive it locally here and there, drop the pan and change oil and filter. Get oil sample to be analyzed (btw where do I do this?)
Blackstone or there are others. Google oil analysis. Different companies gi e different core values also depends on your engine condition but around 5 grand. Honestly id carmax it and get a base 997.2

mike
Old 06-16-2018, 09:03 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

I think everyone here is getting there panties in a bind.
That oil filter debris doesn't look that bad - I've seen 996's with worse and cause was just normal wear with no possibility of a bad engine or in need of rebuild.
Change the oil, have fun and drive it and then check out the filter after 3K miles
That does not appear to be normal wear. I would trade out of that if I could not afford a new engine. Driving it more may result in the inability to trade so perhaps you are willing to help him out if he gets stuck with a paper weighted 997.1 when it reaches the point of actual knowledge and inability to trade.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:08 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by rednerrus
Best of luck to you..
Old 06-22-2018, 11:41 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
Blackstone or there are others. Google oil analysis. Different companies gi e different core values also depends on your engine condition but around 5 grand. Honestly id carmax it and get a base 997.2

mike
Save your money. Oil analysis won't help with determining the health of the IMS. It doesn't measure particle count of debris that you can see with your naked eye unless you use a lab that does particle size and count on top of normal testing.

Used oil analysis is good for measuring items in the PPM and is a good indicator of cylinder bore and main/rod bearing, to give a few good examples.

Last edited by Charles Navarro; 06-22-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:04 PM
rednerrus
Advanced

UPDATE****

How is it going everyone? I wanna finally give you guys an update on the situation. I just had my third oil change since the metal shavings scare. It's been squeeky clean each time with no signs of metal shavings at all! Praise the Lord!
The car has been running well besides getting a p1346 fault code a couple times. So any theories on what could have caused the metal shavings? Btw I just got the magnetic drain plug, so we'll see if that catches anything.
Robocop305 (01-06-2022)
Old 01-09-2019, 08:14 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,418 Likes on 2,693 Posts

So you've driven about 6000-8000 miles since the drama started?
I'm not surprised at all with your findings - Like I said in my earlier posts, 5 years ago my 996 C4S had identical amount of metal particles in the oil filter and never any issues resulted.
Glad to hear the good news!
Robocop305 (01-06-2022)

Quick Reply: Metal Shavings in the Oil