Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 09:31 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by rednerrus
UPDATE****

How is it going everyone? I wanna finally give you guys an update on the situation. I just had my third oil change since the metal shavings scare. It's been squeeky clean each time with no signs of metal shavings at all! Praise the Lord!
The car has been running well besides getting a p1346 fault code a couple times. So any theories on what could have caused the metal shavings? Btw I just got the magnetic drain plug, so we'll see if that catches anything.
Thanks for getting back to us. Rare people update their threads.

Originally Posted by groovzilla
So you've driven about 6000-8000 miles since the drama started?
I'm not surprised at all with your findings - Like I said in my earlier posts, 5 years ago my 996 C4S had identical amount of metal particles in the oil filter and never any issues resulted.
Glad to hear the good news!
Good call. This is my biggest worry with the cost of the engine being most of the total price of the car. Easy to say watch but when its your own hard to throw the dice.

Still need that drive....
Old 01-09-2019, 10:29 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,424 Likes on 2,699 Posts

Originally Posted by kellen
Thanks for getting back to us. Rare people update their threads.

Good call. This is my biggest worry with the cost of the engine being most of the total price of the car. Easy to say watch but when its your own hard to throw the dice.

Still need that drive....
Kellen - Got to remember this forum full of worry warts with nothing better to do - 997 failure rates are no different than any other german car. Of course the Sponsers and shops that get business off the forum won't agree.
Just enjoy your car - Besides, only a few Small Intestine Resections will take care of the rebuild bill if needed
Looking forward to a drive in couple of months when Airstream finished.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:22 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 294 Posts

UPDATE****

How is it going everyone? I wanna finally give you guys an update on the situation. I just had my third oil change since the metal shavings scare. It's been squeeky clean each time with no signs of metal shavings at all! Praise the Lord!
The car has been running well besides getting a p1346 fault code a couple times. So any theories on what could have caused the metal shavings? Btw I just got the magnetic drain plug, so we'll see if that catches anything.
Hallelujah!! Great to hear your oil filters are squeaky clean! As suggested and just to be safe do another oil change in 1000 miles. check the magnetic plug that you have now and inspect filter again. With each clean pass you may feel a bit more peace. Still no absolute answer, but you may be in the clear. I just changed my oil and cut up my filter this weekend and it is a relief to find a clean filter with no metal shavings. now i do have a a magnet and it does pick up the tiniest particles like little hairs, but nothing you would look twice at. So it is a good feeling. Enjoy and keep us updated on the next oil change

Last edited by qikqbn; 01-10-2019 at 06:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (01-06-2022)
Old 01-10-2019, 07:11 AM
rednerrus
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by qikqbn
Hallelujah!! Great to hear your oil filters are squeaky clean! As suggested and just to be safe do another oil change in 1000 miles. check the magnetic plug that you have now and inspect filter again. With each clean pass you may feel a bit more peace. Still no absolute answer, but you may be in the clear. I just changed my oil and cut up my filter this weekend and it is a relief to find a clean filter with no metal shavings. now i do have a a magnet and it does pick up the tiniest particles like little hairs, but nothing you would look twice at. Si it is a good feeling. Enjoy and keep us updated on the next oil change
Originally Posted by groovzilla
So you've driven about 6000-8000 miles since the drama started?
I'm not surprised at all with your findings - Like I said in my earlier posts, 5 years ago my 996 C4S had identical amount of metal particles in the oil filter and never any issues resulted.
Glad to hear the good news!
I've driven it about 5000 plus miles since. I changed the oil after 1000, then again after another 1000, then after 3000. Im planning on chaning it again at 3000 and see how it looks.
Robocop305 (01-06-2022)
Old 01-10-2019, 03:49 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,424 Likes on 2,699 Posts

I've driven it about 5000 plus miles since. I changed the oil after 1000, then again after another 1000, then after 3000. Im planning on chaning it again at 3000 and see how it looks.
Great news! Enjoy your car ----> Good thing you didn't spend the $20K and do a complete rebuild as some suggested
**You'll find a much more happy Porsche ownership experience by spending less time looking at majority of negative/worry wart posts on this forum regarding 997 issues.
In the real world only 1% of 997's have had issues but because this forum is a go-to for car issues, they get magnified. Don't get me wrong this forum great resource for help but engine issues seem to take over the threads.

Robocop305 (01-06-2022)
Old 01-10-2019, 06:20 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree completely with you groovzilla, most people that are on here are desk jockeys rather than drivers... Remember money makes the world go round.
Robocop305 (01-06-2022)
Old 01-10-2019, 09:08 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvt19672
I agree completely with you groovzilla, most people that are on here are desk jockeys rather than drivers... Remember money makes the world go round.
I wouldn’t generalize that much. Most of those desk jockeys never find a great forum like this as they don’t know or care anything more than where to put the gas. Porsche is a purely status symbol for them. Those on here are more gear heads than desk jockeys for sure.

Quick Reply: Metal Shavings in the Oil