Metal Shavings in the Oil - Page 2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
997 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal Shavings in the Oil

Old 06-13-2018, 03:51 PM
  #16  
dgjks6
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
dgjks6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,014
Default

Cmon man. We need an update with pics of the filter.
dgjks6 is offline  
Old 06-13-2018, 06:55 PM
  #17  
rednerrus
User
Thread Starter
 
rednerrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 99
Default

Here we go guys. Not looking good.





No huge pieces but plenty of small ones. The oil filter is looking like a planetarium... sigh..
rednerrus is offline  
Old 06-13-2018, 07:07 PM
  #18  
qikqbn
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
qikqbn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 331
Default

Bummer... Sorry bud

That's a bit much for my liking too. No huge pieces, but something is not happy in there.

What year and mileage?

Maybe some others can chime in as far as how bad this really looks. You are still driving the car, so nothing catastrophic yet, but you don't want to wait too long either. You may want to send these pics to some mechanics you trust that are Porsche specialists.
Maybe try Jake Raby or some other engine rebuilders although I am sure they will recommend you do something soon $$$
qikqbn is offline  
Old 06-13-2018, 07:08 PM
  #19  
DesmoSD
User
 
DesmoSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 817
Default

That's definitely an area of concern but on the bright side, it looks like you caught it early. Do you plan to drop the oil pan for further inspection?
DesmoSD is offline  
Old 06-13-2018, 07:13 PM
  #20  
rednerrus
User
Thread Starter
 
rednerrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 99
Unhappy

Originally Posted by qikqbn View Post
Bummer... Sorry bud

That's a bit much for my liking too. No huge pieces, but something is not happy in there.

What year and mileage?

Maybe some others can chime in as far as how bad this really looks. You are still driving the car, so nothing catastrophic yet, but you don't want to wait too long either. You may want to send these pics to some mechanics you trust that are Porsche specialists.
Maybe try Jake Raby or some other engine rebuilders although I am sure they will recommend you do something soon $$$
Its a 2007 C4S with 52K miles. Who do I contact Jake Raby? Which one is he? Real bummer. I cant believe I hit the lottery on this.
rednerrus is offline  
Old 06-13-2018, 07:14 PM
  #21  
rednerrus
User
Thread Starter
 
rednerrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 99
Default

Originally Posted by DesmoSD View Post
That's definitely an area of concern but on the bright side, it looks like you caught it early. Do you plan to drop the oil pan for further inspection?
I was planning on doing it, but do you guys think theres a point of doing that? The filter is pretty obvious. How long do I have? Sniff..
rednerrus is offline  
Old 06-13-2018, 07:20 PM
  #22  
karl1672
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
karl1672's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: So FL
Posts: 133
Default

Sorry to hear. '07 C4S here too (44K). Fingers crossed for both of us
karl1672 is offline  
Old 06-13-2018, 07:20 PM
  #23  
qikqbn
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
qikqbn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 331
Default

Originally Posted by rednerrus View Post
Its a 2007 C4S with 52K miles. Who do I contact Jake Raby? Which one is he? Real bummer. I cant believe I hit the lottery on this.
What city/state are you in?

Jake is the first name that popped in to my mind.
Jake Raby is the owner at Flat6 Innovations. Invented the IMS solution. Well known engine rebuilder.
http://www.flat6innovations.com/

But there are several great engine builders/mechanics out there. Check your local PCA membership contacts to see about highly recommended local Porsche mechanics.

Hopefully some one else can chime in who has been in your situation.
qikqbn is offline  
Old 06-13-2018, 07:23 PM
  #24  
dgjks6
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
dgjks6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,014
Default

That is too much to keep driving. Even if you ID the problem the experts will still recommend pulling the engine apart to clean it and get the metal out (ask me how I know)

Some options at this point since you still have a good core

1-RND engine
2-full flat 6 rebuild
3-and this is what I did and not sure if still a viable option - is use UFO motor sports or 9xxmotorsports. They pull apart and clean and replace whatever is broke. Assuming it's not the cylinder wall < 10,000
4-used engine
dgjks6 is offline  
Old 06-13-2018, 07:44 PM
  #25  
rednerrus
User
Thread Starter
 
rednerrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 99
Default

Originally Posted by qikqbn View Post
What city/state are you in?

Jake is the first name that popped in to my mind.
Jake Raby is the owner at Flat6 Innovations. Invented the IMS solution. Well known engine rebuilder.
http://www.flat6innovations.com/

But there are several great engine builders/mechanics out there. Check your local PCA membership contacts to see about highly recommended local Porsche mechanics.

Hopefully some one else can chime in who has been in your situation.
I see. I guess Ill email him the pics and see what he thinks. I can find him on the website?

Originally Posted by karl1672 View Post
Sorry to hear. '07 C4S here too (44K). Fingers crossed for both of us
Thanks bud.



Originally Posted by dgjks6 View Post
That is too much to keep driving. Even if you ID the problem the experts will still recommend pulling the engine apart to clean it and get the metal out (ask me how I know)

Some options at this point since you still have a good core

1-RND engine
2-full flat 6 rebuild
3-and this is what I did and not sure if still a viable option - is use UFO motor sports or 9xxmotorsports. They pull apart and clean and replace whatever is broke. Assuming it's not the cylinder wall < 10,000
4-used engine
Do you know how much would the other options run me?
rednerrus is offline  
Old 06-13-2018, 07:50 PM
  #26  
dgjks6
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
dgjks6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,014
Default

No idea for 2007. For a 99 with a 3.4 was between $18,000 and $23,000.

The rnd and flat 6 engines have nickies which are a large portion of the price. Even if you go to UFO, if it is the cylinder walls then you will have to do those also.
dgjks6 is offline  
Old 06-13-2018, 08:55 PM
  #27  
qikqbn
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
qikqbn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 331
Default

2007 C4S has the larger bearing already. We don't know exactly what those shavings are from just yet. Unfortunately this is gonna hurt a bit $$$
options
A-A full bullet proof engine rebuild and going to 4.0 liters is $25-27k
B-Used engine from dismantler around $10-12k plus 4k labor/misc parts.
C-Engine rebuilds with exchange $10-12k
D- Inspection, plus fix what's broke... $5k + ????
E- Get an extended warranty, cross your fingers and drive it til something pops

Hard to really say. These are all just guesses. That's why it is best to have your engine thoroughly inspected before going too much further or putting too many miles on it. They can run some tests to see if you have any kind of "wobble" coming from your intermediate shaft. If they can rule that out it may be something else that is hopefully minor, but hard to say at this point without opening things up for an inspection. I would not wait too long before having the oil pan dropped and thoroughly inspected along with all the oil and filter checked again. You want to get as much of that loose debris out as soon as possible. See a mechanic who knows how to run the ims wobble test and read the information from the ecu. Do a bore scoring inspection.

Come to think of it... I had a friend who had a similar situation. He did a couple of oil changes over a couple of weeks to clear out as many shavings as possible. His shavings cleared up and got cleaned out. He has not seen much metal shavings in his oil filters ever since and that was like a year ago and 2 more oil changes. He never cracked open the motor either, even though it's recommended. We have no idea how much time you have. It could be years, or maybe weeks. Hard to say.

Keep us posted. Wishing you the best !

Last edited by qikqbn; 06-13-2018 at 09:49 PM.
qikqbn is offline  
Old 06-13-2018, 09:04 PM
  #28  
TheBruce
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
TheBruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 983
Default

@rednerrus - really sorry to hear that. That sucks. Easiest way to get a hold of Jake is go to the Flat6 Innovations Facebook page and message him there. I dont think you can PM him anymore on Rennlist.

How long have you had the car? Was this your first oil change? Anything you can think of leading up to it: burning oil, ticking or usual noises, running hot, track use, etc, etc?
TheBruce is offline  
Old 06-13-2018, 09:49 PM
  #29  
DesmoSD
User
 
DesmoSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 817
Default

Here is an engine if you're interested

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Porsch...cAAOSwNNVbFXrt
DesmoSD is offline  
Old 06-13-2018, 09:50 PM
  #30  
rednerrus
User
Thread Starter
 
rednerrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 99
Default

Originally Posted by TheBruce View Post
@rednerrus - really sorry to hear that. That sucks. Easiest way to get a hold of Jake is go to the Flat6 Innovations Facebook page and message him there. I dont think you can PM him anymore on Rennlist.

How long have you had the car? Was this your first oil change? Anything you can think of leading up to it: burning oil, ticking or usual noises, running hot, track use, etc, etc?
I have had the car only since October of last year. I did a PPI (just a basic one though) and it checked up. This was my second oil change. When I got the first oil change I asked if there were any metal shavings and they said no. The only thing I can think of is burning oil. I would have to refill it from time to time. And the thing about the 997 is that there is no dipstick. It was always a hassle to check the damn oil level.


Originally Posted by qikqbn View Post
2007 C4S has the larger bearing already. We don't know exactly what those shavings are from just yet. Unfortunately this is gonna hurt a bit $$$
options
A-A full bullet proof engine rebuild and going to 4.0 liters is $25-27k
B-Used engine from dismantler around $10-12k plus 4k labor/misc parts.
C-Engine rebuilds with exchange $10-12k
D- Inspection, plus fix what's broke... $5k + ????
E- Get an extended warranty, cross your fingers and drive it til something pops

Hard to really say. These are all just guesses. That's why it is best to have your engine thoroughly inspected before going too much further or putting too many miles on it. They can run some tests to see if you have any kind of "wobble" coming from your intermediate shaft. If they can rule that out it may be something else that is hopefully minor, but hard to say at this point without opening things up for an inspection. I would not wait too long before having the oil pan dropped and thoroughly inspected along with all the oil and filter checked again. You want to get as much of that loose debris out as soon as possible. See a mechanic who knows how to run the ims wobble test and read the information from the ecu. Do a bore scoring inspection. Keep us posted. Wishing you the best !

Ya I avoided getting an 05 or 06 since the 07 has the larger bore. I was thinking about option E. But is it possible? Can I still get an extended warranty now? Im gonna try to drop the oil pan tomorrow. Should I change the oil and filter again while doing this?


Originally Posted by dgjks6 View Post
No idea for 2007. For a 99 with a 3.4 was between $18,000 and $23,000.

The rnd and flat 6 engines have nickies which are a large portion of the price. Even if you go to UFO, if it is the cylinder walls then you will have to do those also.
Yikes. I can get a brand new Honda Civic for that.
rednerrus is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Metal Shavings in the Oil


Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: