Unexpected things I found after all my research

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 01:36 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
Nice post.

As far as the wanting for power goes... these cars aren't about absolute power. You don't really get to see how scarily fast it is until you take it to the appropriate environment.. on track for example. It's a momentum car, much like the MX-5 you mentioned (get it on boil and use the brakes judiciously, connect the corners without losing momentum, just keep that power up and she'll look after the rest, ). Some might disagree but there are a number of similarities I've found between the two cars. But on the street, a 997.2 is not an especially quick car by todays standards (another MX-5 similarity)

One thing I feel can't be overstated, look for ways to trim weight. Starting with the wheels is a great place. You'll get gains in every department by going with lighter wheels, even fuel mileage.

Car and Driver managed to shave 3/10ths of a second off their 0-60 and 2.2mpg on a Golf just by trying a few different wheel/tire combinations. Seems like a pretty big difference and over a long enough period of time the savings in fuel mileage will pay for the wheels.
Those 3/10ths difference is greater than the difference between a 997.2 C2 and 997.2 C2S for 0-60. http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/s08dtcb1lzv6

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...d-tires-tested
Yes...bigger deal than most (myself included) didn't realize the scope of. Some of the heaviest factory, cast Porsche wheels are approaching 30 lbs each, My current Forgelines weigh just shy of 20 lbs each. Close to a combined 40 lbs reduction of unsprung weight of the wheels. Not insignificant and not terribly expensive to achieve.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:57 AM
GT3_ISH
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also had a pretty significant change when I took my OEM wheels and spacers off to run just my lightweight forged wheels. More so than I've experienced in other cars.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:33 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,160 Likes on 3,925 Posts

I have a set of lightweight, forged, polished Champion RS171 wheels for sale in The Marketplace if anyone is looking to upgrade their wheels. I'm running the same make, model, and size of tire on my Forgelines that I was running on these Champions. I weighed the Forgelines prior to having the tires mounted and then again after mounting and balancing. Using those #s I calculated the weights of these Champion wheels in case anyone is interested in significantly reducing their unsprung weight for better acceleration (less rotational inertia), better handling, and improved gas mileage. Surprisingly, my current Forgelines are actually 1.5 lbs heavier per wheel.

Champion RS171 Front wheel weight is 20.75 lbs
Champion RS171 Rear wheel weight is 21.8 lbs.

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...l#post15076098
Old 06-13-2018, 11:37 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by geeky
My biggest gripe in purchasing a 997 was the lack of auto headlights. I mean come on, a 1997 Toyota Avalon has auto headlights for christ sake.
I find keys annoying. My 2012 Prius has the auto door unlock sensor and push button start with key never leaving pocket.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:41 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by josserman
Not BT - Direct plugging in. I have the y adapter to old ipod cable, which I convert to a lightning. Works great! Not sure why anyone would want to stream over BT. Direct connection is always better!
I either jump in the car quickly and don't remember about plugging in the phone till I'm under way, and/or forget to unplug it and take it with me when I get out of the car. BT is much more convenient. In a Lexus or Mercedes maybe I could hear the difference but not in this car what with the cabin acoustics and road noise, let alone the somewhat unerwhelming OEM stereo.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:44 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I don't think there's all that much power difference between an S snd NonS. Maybe on paper but I can tell you that on the track it's not enough power to pull on a straight and pass. These cars are quick and handle well. Brute power has never been their forté.

I have Auto dimming mirrors but never have them enabled because my windows are tinted. It's just too much darkness.
Listen to him! He knows that it's the driver. To blame the machine is to eternally postpone driver education.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:08 PM
josserman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Listen to him! He knows that it's the driver. To blame the machine is to eternally postpone driver education.
Consider I run faster times even now in an NA s2k then most guys in gt3’s run at almost every track, yes I know this well

Old 06-13-2018, 09:39 PM
josserman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ben Z
I either jump in the car quickly and don't remember about plugging in the phone till I'm under way, and/or forget to unplug it and take it with me when I get out of the car. BT is much more convenient. In a Lexus or Mercedes maybe I could hear the difference but not in this car what with the cabin acoustics and road noise, let alone the somewhat unerwhelming OEM stereo.
What about battery drainage?
Old 06-14-2018, 12:49 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

If the car is stock... it drains about 1Ah/day - equivalent current 45mA.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:09 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

I added remotekey which plugs into car fuse box to allow one touch windows down / up from remote and horn honking with lock / unlock.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:05 AM
josserman
Instructor

If the car is stock... it drains about 1Ah/day - equivalent current 45mA.
i meant in the phone
Old 06-14-2018, 01:56 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Most of my trips are of short duration so it's never been a problem. The only time it is is if I'm using the phone for GPS on a long ride, in that case I do plug the phone into 12V. My car's a .1, no aux input. I have a Tranzit-BLU HF unit, it only does BT. In my other cars I do have USB inputs but still use BT only, plug the phone in to 12V only when on a long drive. One car's a Corvette, much quieter on the road than the 997 but still noisy and with weird cabin shape; other car is an E-Class Merc, quiet as a tomb and great stereo, still can't really discern any sound difference between BT and USB. Maybe if I was an audiophile listening to classical or jazz I would, but the Stones sound fine either way.

Quick Reply: Unexpected things I found after all my research