Sponsored by:

Seeking help removing an aftermarket headunit to replace a blown fuse

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 03:37 PM
sf_c63
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Seeking help removing an aftermarket headunit to replace a blown fuse

Long story short my car had a faulty slave cylinder requiring the clutch & flywheel to be replaced, I opted to do it at a dealership. After retrieving my car I noticed my radio wouldn't turn on at all. The dealership responded that when they received the car the battery was really low and may have caused a fuse to be blown. They refuse to remove the headunit and diagnose the issue since it's an aftermarket H/U.

Extremely disappointed, I figured I would try to remove it myself to confirm a blown fuse but I'm at a point where I can't figure out what is keeping the H/U in place preventing me from removing it from the deck.

This is where I am in the removal process and the H/U where I expect the headunit (with the aluminum frame) to simply slide out, it appears screws somewhere are keeping it in place:

Does anyone have any idea at all as to what can be keeping the H/U in place???
Old 06-11-2018, 03:48 PM
sf_c63
Rennlist Member

Do I need to remove the following screws:

Old 06-11-2018, 04:51 PM
mbatarga
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts

This site appears to provide some useful information:

https://cai-store.com/pages/997-boxs...o-installation
Old 06-12-2018, 01:30 PM
sf_c63
Rennlist Member

Anyone familiar with aftermarket headunit installs? Should I try removing the glovebox to see if there is a screw on the side keeping the H/U in place?
Old 06-12-2018, 02:42 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

I googled alpine ina-w900 install and lots of links for YouTube installs resulted. Try it, you should be able to figure it out from watching one. GL
Old 06-12-2018, 02:54 PM
karl1672
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends how it was installed as there are a number of ways. Mine (Pioneer AVIC) slides in / out on a shelf and is held in place by the trim / cover. For the factory head, there are 4 Allen head screws (2 on each side side). If I recall, these just need to be loosened. There is also an 8mm bolt on the passenger side the needs to be loosened as well. You may need a couple of DIN removal tools, but again depends on the install.

As mentioned in a couple of posts, YouTube is your friend - lots of videos, also CAI-Store has some good resources, got some stuff from them and very helpful.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:57 PM
devioustrap
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not trying to suggest the obvious, but have you checked the actual fuses in the fusebox? Unless something is shorting in the back of the radio, it's very rare for that fuse to blow. I'd expect the one in your footwell to blow first.

Something as simple as taking the fuse out and putting it back in (to reset the constant power supply) could also do the trick.

The screw in the side is only for the oem radio, that shouldn't apply now. My radio is held in just by the trim piece. In your case, I think someone installed a cage, check to see how the radio is clipped into that metal cage.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:25 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 105 Posts

There is a bolt holding the PCM securely within the cavity that needs to be loosened to take it out.
Not sure if the bolt was reinstalled after the aftermarket HU was added. Usually these HUs go into an enclosure and that goes into the cavity in the console.
Another thing to watch for is.. the enclosures usually have locking tabs that lock into the same places as the OEM PCM did.
PCM has 4 hex bolt that you give half a turn or so to unlock the tabs. So try pushing into the same holes as you would with the PCM.

Here's a short video that shows the locations of all the bolts involved..
Old 06-12-2018, 11:42 PM
sf_c63
Rennlist Member

Really appreciate the suggestions from everyone. The helpful guys over at “City Car Radio” looked at the install and told me the cage has “keys” required to extract the head unit.

But the real solution is what @deviousrap mentioned, there is a head unit power fuse found in the driver footwell that had to replaced.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:35 AM
E368
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by shyamvenky
Another thing to watch for is.. the enclosures usually have locking tabs that lock into the same places as the OEM PCM did.
This ^^^

I just installed an aftermarket Pioneer in mine, and it had 4 tabs total on the left and right side that would snap into place. From the reviews I read online regarding the particular adapter kit that I used, everyone recommended breaking those tabs off prior to installing. They were right, for my HU, it slides in so securely that there is no need to have the tabs lock it in place. Makes for a much easier job when having to take the HU back out for whatever reason.

EDIT:

Oops, nevermind, I now see your post that you got it figured out. Awesome!

Quick Reply: Seeking help removing an aftermarket headunit to replace a blown fuse