Sponsored by:

frunk/engine lid broken tabs repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 04:53 PM
modlin
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default frunk/engine lid broken tabs repair

Hello...this is how I fixed broken tabs/hinges on frunk/eng switch. I found broken pieces in the unit and within the space of the removed door sill. Used crazy glue with an accelerator, added reinforcing (orange plastic from a bottle cap).
The original design is a rather poor concept (see the notches next to tabs/hinges...they will do what notches do in a repeated/fatigue operation).
How to remove sill and the unit, pls search web.
Hope this will save you few $$$

Old 06-13-2018, 06:39 PM
mblueracer
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting. Mine was broken beyond repair. I replaced it with a spare from www.caymanpartsdirect.com. Not too difficult DIY.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:09 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Good job. I can't count how many times I've reengineered poor, flimsy cost-cutting designs that broke prematurely. Case in point is the 997 key fob. Some plastics though require a bond-enhancer with superglue or it won't stick. I'm a big fan of JB weld (epoxy) and GC resin (acrylic resin) also.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:32 PM
modlin
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
Good job. I can't count how many times I've reengineered poor, flimsy cost-cutting designs that broke prematurely. Case in point is the 997 key fob. Some plastics though require a bond-enhancer with superglue or it won't stick. I'm a big fan of JB weld (epoxy) and GC resin (acrylic resin) also.

if anyone familiar with Volvos....fuel tank lid plastic hinge...Volvo probably made/making ton of $$$ off this crappy design...

Quick Reply: frunk/engine lid broken tabs repair