Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New addition to stable (NOT a 991)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 02:08 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts
Default New addition to stable (NOT a 991)

So, it has been a while since I've posted on here. Was previously keeping my eyes open for a GT3 (and considering most generations), including trying to get off the dreaded dealer waitlist...

I got tired of waiting and went a different direction. Bought a blue/white second generation Viper GTS. Wanted something raw and visceral, and this provides that. Love the classic lines too and paint scheme. Ticks all the boxes.

Keeping my 911 as well, as I just couldn't bring myself to give it up. Will post pictures when the car is delivered. I also plan to post some comparisons (as odd as that sounds) after I've settled in with the car for a bit. Performance specs are eerily similar (3.9 0-60mph, 12 second quarter mile, 188 top speed) though achieved in a polar opposite way.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:02 PM
jeffleept
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats!

Growing up, our neighbor had a 96 viper gts. That was my favorite car for a decade.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:52 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats and enjoy! I've driven all the generations of Vipers as I have been contemplating adding one also. I too prefer raw and visceral cars and Viper is one of very few left other than my two Lotus.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:35 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
So, it has been a while since I've posted on here. Was previously keeping my eyes open for a GT3 (and considering most generations), including trying to get off the dreaded dealer waitlist...

I got tired of waiting and went a different direction. Bought a blue/white second generation Viper GTS. Wanted something raw and visceral, and this provides that. Love the classic lines too and paint scheme. Ticks all the boxes.

Keeping my 911 as well, as I just couldn't bring myself to give it up. Will post pictures when the car is delivered. I also plan to post some comparisons (as odd as that sounds) after I've settled in with the car for a bit. Performance specs are eerily similar (3.9 0-60mph, 12 second quarter mile, 188 top speed) though achieved in a polar opposite way.
Another congrats. Can't wait to hear your impressions and opinions on the differences between the two cars. The speed numbers may be similar but I bet that's where the similarities end.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:32 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,169 Likes on 3,933 Posts

Cool, but where are the pics? Specs are about the same as my RUF 997 - 3.9 0-60 and 189 MPH top speed.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:01 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Petza914
Cool, but where are the pics? Specs are about the same as my RUF 997 - 3.9 0-60 and 189 MPH top speed.
Here ya go :-)

Transport got here at 12:30am this morning. Will post some nicer shots when I get a moment...

Old 06-11-2018, 02:28 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Gorgeous 👍
Old 06-11-2018, 02:54 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 69 Posts

Try to stay alive with the Viper and do not drive it under the rain.....
You have two cars which are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. On one side, finesse, refinement, elegance, incredible performance on all terrains.....
On the other side, powerful beyond measure, raw, unreliable, dangerous in curves and wet pavement.

Choose wisely according to the weather.

Yves
Old 06-11-2018, 03:26 PM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Beautiful. Vipers are head turners for sure. Must be a blast to drive.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:28 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Thank you all for the comments (and concerns :-))

Car is great "out of box" but I will be making sure any/every small item is addressed - no expenses will be spared, though thankfully the costs are a fraction in most areas of Porsche. The big item I had addressed immediately was to put brand new Michelins on it, largely in recognition of how dangerous these cars can be. A lot of Vipers I looked at had old (10 year+) rubber on it. Crazy in my mind for such a high torque, dynamic car.

I bought this car to be the Mr Hyde to my 911 Dr. Jekyll, intentionally wanting something very raw. I will ease into it, for sure.

Will post driving impressions over the following weeks.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:36 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Took the first extended drive yesterday before the rain clouds rolled in. First, the clutch is heavier than my 911 but still has a nice progressive feel - while heavier, it is still definitely smooth and I never felt like I didnt have good control through it at low speeds. Driving position is not bad (I am 6’3”) especially with the adjustable pedals. Seats are grippy and superior in holding ability vs my adjustable 911 seats (realize good sport bucks in the 997 are the better comparison). View out of the cabin is inferior to the 997 (of course the 997 sets the highest bar here) but tolerable. Long hood took a little time to get accustomed to but overall very similar to my first gen 2.8l Z3 just more exaggerated (especially width) and with a much lower seating position. Steering and road feel were good, the former inferior in feedback to a 997, the latter difficult to judge since I didnt push the car hard. Overall, however, drove and felt much smaller than was my experience test driving a few of these (more time in seat = better feel for dimensions?) Now for the power delivery... night and day different feel vs my 997.24S ... best way to describe is “surging linearity”... I kept all throttle inputs smooth, always, as I knew any binary movements would likely send me into the trees. The throttle was easy to control and the car felt incredibly linear (and immensely powerful) in how it built speed. I was concerned by its reputation that it would somehow be difficult to control but I suspect it is driving-style based. I imagine many new owners jab at the throttle and end up getting bitten badly. The way power develops so instantaneously to pedal adjustments (500lb/ft of no-turbo-lag NA power in a rwd 3,300lb car, remember) means that a heavy foot rips through the traction limits of even the 335s out back... Something I wouldnt test outside a very very wide open empty parking lot...or runway.

Overall a much more intimidating car to drive than my 4S and requiring more thoughtful control. I will definitely take it easy getting to know it better... so far an incredible complement to my other cars!

Will post more updates as I run it through the paces (clear skies permitting!)
Old 08-27-2018, 05:37 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Drove it some more. Car is a beast. Have a better handle on how it puts down power, but still will of course respect it. Have been able to take it on some twisties and it does respond and it does grip. But it does not feel as poised as my 4S.

I am extremely happy with the combination and complementary nature of having the 4S and GTS to choose from. They really are like Jekyll and Hyde, except that they are both manual, very analog feeling cars. One thing that is growing on me is the V10 exhaust note. The 911 is still clearly superior here* but it really is like my foot is Thor and controls thunder while accelerating. And this is a stock exhaust.

Next up is a detailing of the car and maybe some photos (for the odd 997 enthusiast who, like me, appreciates Vipers!)

* My 4S has Sharkwerks center bypass and Fister ceramic side mufflers... so definitely not bone stock...
Old 08-27-2018, 06:13 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
... but it really is like my foot is Thor and controls thunder while accelerating. ...
Love this quote 👍
Old 08-27-2018, 06:32 PM
ocgarza
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

Nice write up, keep us in the loop as the Viper "break-in" continues.

Quick Reply: New addition to stable (NOT a 991)