Considering buying a 997

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 02:17 PM
Cyberlemon
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering buying a 997

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum and am considering to purchase a 997. Currently I own an 2017 M4 and I'm considering to trade it in for a 997.
Question is, the CPO 997 I have in mind at the nearby dealership is a '09 launch model 997.2 PRG color, sand beige interior and 82000 km on it. They are asking for 65k CAD which is equivalent to around 49.k USD.
Is this a reasonable price? PRG is not really the color I like the best but this seems to be a good deal.
I am meeting up with a salesperson at the dealership to get a quote on my M4 on Thursday.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:32 PM
HiAperture
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...1-carrera-s-3/

here is a comp on that exact color combo a few weeks ago on Bring a Trailer.

However 997s aren’t exactly rare, why do you want to buy that car if you don’t like the color? Unless you just change cars a lot and want to try it out, find one you like better.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:41 PM
Cyberlemon
6th Gear

Originally Posted by HiAperture
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...1-carrera-s-3/

here is a comp on that exact color combo a few weeks ago on Bring a Trailer.

However 997s aren’t exactly rare, why do you want to buy that car if you don’t like the color? Unless you just change cars a lot and want to try it out, find one you like better.
Thanks for the input. I feel like there are not too many 997.2 on the local market right now at this price range. Other than the color everything else is what I want and I do change cars quite often. (every 2 or 3 years)
Old 06-04-2018, 07:13 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

I'll bet that colour really grows on you, particularly with a sand beige interior.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:35 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,965 Likes on 2,044 Posts

Make sure that car is actually CPO from Porsche. Maybe in Canada CPO guidelines are different, but in the US, I think it is 8 years from in service date.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:21 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

OP, you didn't say what options were on the car. My opinion is that the car's overpriced at that mileage (~51K miles), but then it's at a dealership. They're wanting big margin to pay the overhead. Is that really a Porsche CPO? I'm not conversant on what the Porsche CPO quals are, but a 9-10 year old car at that mileage seems a stretch. Personally I think your better option is to hunt a Private Party candidate.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:29 PM
Cyberlemon
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Make sure that car is actually CPO from Porsche. Maybe in Canada CPO guidelines are different, but in the US, I think it is 8 years from in service date.
I will talk to the dealership to clarify on that issue on Thursday.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:33 PM
Cyberlemon
6th Gear

Originally Posted by swingwing
OP, you didn't say what options were on the car. My opinion is that the car's overpriced at that mileage (~51K miles), but then it's at a dealership. They're wanting big margin to pay the overhead. Is that really a Porsche CPO? I'm not conversant on what the Porsche CPO quals are, but a 9-10 year old car at that mileage seems a stretch. Personally I think your better option is to hunt a Private Party candidate.

Options

• 12-way power seats with driver memory package
  • Automatically dimming interior and exterior mirrors
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
  • Preparation for mobile phone
  • Satelite Radio XM
  • Sport Chrono Package Plus
  • Universal audio interface
Old 06-05-2018, 08:55 AM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

A decent list of options, that. My '09 has few options (heated seats, dimming mirrors, Carrera S II wheels, mobile phone, Bose, audio interface) but not the higher-cost items like PDK, Sport Chrono, XM radio and power seats. MSRP was $83.3K USD; I'd say car you're looking at was well above that. Good luck with your hunt. Wonder what dealership offer will be on your M4.

Last edited by swingwing; 06-05-2018 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Added sentences.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:12 PM
LISsailor
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 85 Posts

I'd love to see PRG. I think it could be a very cool color going forward since most are black/silver.
The following users liked this post:
Kineticdg (02-03-2020)
Old 06-05-2018, 07:44 PM
jeffleept
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Base Carrera with Porsche CPO?
Sounds about right if it were US pricing (not sure about Canada market). About 7 months ago I paid 52k for a CPO 37,000 mile '10 carrera coupe at a dealership.

I don't know how much CPO jacks up the price, maybe someone else could chime in. Probably a few grand. The checklist is pretty thorough (get a copy of it).
Old 06-05-2018, 11:13 PM
Cyberlemon
6th Gear

Originally Posted by jeffleept
Base Carrera with Porsche CPO?
Sounds about right if it were US pricing (not sure about Canada market). About 7 months ago I paid 52k for a CPO 37,000 mile '10 carrera coupe at a dealership.

I don't know how much CPO jacks up the price, maybe someone else could chime in. Probably a few grand. The checklist is pretty thorough (get a copy of it).
This one is a C2S. I think the CPO in Canada covers up to 2 years unlimited mileage, but I need to speak to the dealer to confirm.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:57 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Is the dash also beige on the launch 997.2?

I was going to buy a new 2009S, white, with a full sand beige interior They look great-but when I drove the car in bright sunlight, there was a lot reflection off of that beige dash, which I assume is why
Porsche offers the option of a black dash with a beige interior.

I was wondering why you want to trade in the M4 after one year? The M-cars are, for sure, in a different league that the newer Porsches, but I enjoyed mine and trading in after one year, you will take a hit with the depreciation.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:35 PM
Cyberlemon
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Tsilnner
Is the dash also beige on the launch 997.2?

I was going to buy a new 2009S, white, with a full sand beige interior They look great-but when I drove the car in bright sunlight, there was a lot reflection off of that beige dash, which I assume is why
Porsche offers the option of a black dash with a beige interior.

I was wondering why you want to trade in the M4 after one year? The M-cars are, for sure, in a different league that the newer Porsches, but I enjoyed mine and trading in after one year, you will take a hit with the depreciation.
My mistake, the M4 is actually 2016. I took possession of the car in Apr 2016. The M4 is a good car with good power, but I feel like the new M is too bulky for me. It actually feels like a muscle car sometimes and I have to say I prefer naturally aspired engines. The interior is full beige. I'm going to ask for a test drive to see how it performs.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:16 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberlemon
My mistake, the M4 is actually 2016. I took possession of the car in Apr 2016. The M4 is a good car with good power, but I feel like the new M is too bulky for me. It actually feels like a muscle car sometimes and I have to say I prefer naturally aspired engines. The interior is full beige. I'm going to ask for a test drive to see how it performs.
You are going to love it!
The following users liked this post:
termigni (02-11-2020)

Quick Reply: Considering buying a 997