Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One time Coolant DUMP

Old 05-29-2018, 06:49 PM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default One time Coolant DUMP

Anyone have a one time coolant burp? Had a puddle yesterday that put the level to about min line on reservoir.

About 6 weeks ago I changed water pump and put in the LN 175F thermostat. Can't see any leaks. I don't have the fill vacuum system so I burped ti after fill, been tight and cool ever since except yesterday, one time.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:12 PM
jll1011
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I did also have a burp a couple of days after swapping out coolant. System had been pressurized too. Had it topped off and no issue since then.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:14 PM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Thanks, cross fingers. When I cracked the coolant top it bled some pressure too. Thanks for the comment.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:10 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,137 Likes on 3,910 Posts

Did you lift the burp valve?
Old 05-30-2018, 11:33 AM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Yep, 3 weeks ago.
Its done it twice now. Going to have to investigate.
Doesn't do it when hot right after shut down. I go back later, 2-3 hours and there it was on the ground again.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:34 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Check the lid as well. Part number should end with "04". Otherwise you have the old one. It's prone to leaking. Exact same thing happened to me. All of a sudden min level. Changed cap and OK since.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:21 AM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Racetwin2.
I was thinking the same thing. Picked up one this afternoon and installed. Drove to garage in 95F Houston weather with oil temp at 225 and water at 175. Car didn't drip after stopping for 3 hours. Drove home and parked in the garage. An hour later about a 1/4 cup on the floor but level about right, maybe a touch high. Possible just the last burp to clear a slight overfill.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:58 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,137 Likes on 3,910 Posts

Originally Posted by jellonailer
Racetwin2.
I was thinking the same thing. Picked up one this afternoon and installed. Drove to garage in 95F Houston weather with oil temp at 225 and water at 175. Car didn't drip after stopping for 3 hours. Drove home and parked in the garage. An hour later about a 1/4 cup on the floor but level about right, maybe a touch high. Possible just the last burp to clear a slight overfill.
Though your gauge is showing the water temp at 175, it's likely not that. It's a heavily buffered gauge and with the oil temp at 225, it's unlikely the water temp remained that low. If you ever see the water temp gauge move beyond straight up and down, it means the water is really hot, otherwise it just stays right there - though that looks like a gauge, it's really more an idiot light and not a true gauge so don't pay what it displays much attention.

If a puddle is forming within an hour of parking the car, can you see where it's coming from (evidence of it running down from somewhere - there should be a drip or a crusty pink trail. Failing that, maybe setup a GoPro under the car with a light shining up and let it film continuously for an hour then watch the playback to see and hear what's happening. If you don't have a GoPro, for $20 you can get an HD Wyzecam that will hold a micro-SD card to film continuously - they even have options for motion or sound activation as well as IR night vision. Maybe get 2 and put one above looking at the coolant tank area with the engine lid open and one below where the coolant won't fall directly onto it. Once you're done with this project, you can set them up around your house for home security and monitor them via your cell phone.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:18 AM
cosanchez
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure you don't have a cracked reservoir. I went thru the same thing. I thought I had done a bad burp. Was chasing it for 2 weeks puddles etc . Finally saw the crack....

Old 05-31-2018, 10:43 AM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

cosanchez - maybe, but in the hierarchy of repairs I went with the easy 2 minute $29 fix first. It's very possible that is exactly what it is. I will know soon!
Thanks
Old 06-30-2018, 10:23 PM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Update:
going to order the reservoir and a few associated hoses.
This doesn't quite make sense as the leak happens quite a while after shut down, well after max temperatures and pressures, like an hour or more. Almost feels like the cooling to ambient process with the coolant bleeder valve not holding or adjusting to the pressure change.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: One time Coolant DUMP