Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Start service intervals from scratch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 03:18 PM
jimf15e
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start service intervals from scratch?

Good afternoon,
I purchased a CPO 2012 C4S Cab this past February. Being a CPO it came from a dealer therefore I didn't receive a good service history or records other than the Carfax, the CPO work, and some work I had done based on the PPI (new battery, lube cab top, odds and ends). I've had no luck so far trying to gather service records so am considering starting from "scratch." It's a 2012 with an in-service date of February 2012 and 24k miles as of today. The last verified oil change was October 2017. The PPI in February 2018 was very good with just a recommendation to change the battery. All other consumables, brakes, and engine downloads were good.

I know it's been asked and answered before, but does any one have new any sure-fire ways to get any existing service info from Porsche? Before I schedule the 6 year service I'd love to verify if the plugs (4 yrs), PDK clutch oil, AWD controller oil, and drive belt (6 yrs) were replaced. Would it have passed a CPO inspection if these items weren't accomplished? I'm thinking so. I know I made a mistake not checking or insisting on service records, but at the time a good CPO and PPI were what I thought were most important. Live and learn, and it might all have been done anyway. Thank you!

Most importantly, a silent toast today to those who gave all in defense of our nation. A true thank you...

Jim
Old 05-28-2018, 05:38 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Whenever I buy a car I always change everything out unless I have documented history of it being done. It is cheap insurance in my mind plus I love working on cars. Since picking up my car in February I have changed all the fluids and filters along with plugs and such.

I found out that most shops will not share information of what they did or did not do to another car. In speaking to one shop they told me they would need permission from the previous owner to share the service records. It is always worth asking though.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:30 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I absolutely don't know this for a fact but it SEEMS that the CPO process would include that everything was done to bring the car into alignment with all of the mileage and time milestones.

How could Porsche make assurances on a car when its own basic maintenance recommendations haven't been met?
Old 05-29-2018, 09:49 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought mine CPO from a dealer but they were also the original selling dealer and had all the service records from day one which they shared openly with me. The only thing they redacted was the P.O.'s name and address. I bought my Corvette from Carmax, it was listed as one-owner, and the Autocheck listed the city where it was originally titled, and a service record listed the name of a Chevy dealer in that city. I called them up, they wouldn't send me a copy of the service records but the guy told me everything that had been done including campaigns and recalls. If you can sleuth out where it was originally sold (or last sold, if it's a multi-owner car), you might try calling the nearest dealer, they might tell you if the service was done by the VIN. Worth a try, worst they can say is no.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:04 AM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Porsche "should" have to bring the services up to date to CPO. You should contact your selling dealer to get proof they did this.

Mike
Old 05-29-2018, 10:09 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 858 Posts

It used to be... dealership data was not shared across dealer systems so you need to find the original dealer (assuming the ownership trail didn;t move away from there). You can contact Porsche North America's customer service line... they should help by telling you where the car was sericed in its lifetime. They will require proof of onwership from you. I know this because I did this.... I think I scanned my bill of sale.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-29-2018, 10:28 AM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
It used to be... dealership data was not shared across dealer systems so you need to find the original dealer (assuming the ownership trail didn;t move away from there). You can contact Porsche North America's customer service line... they should help by telling you where the car was sericed in its lifetime. They will require proof of onwership from you. I know this because I did this.... I think I scanned my bill of sale.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Its still required on the CPO checklist. The dealership doesnt have to provide you the documentation but they do need to be able to locate it themselves and the car has to have had the maintenances performed by an authorized dealer too even though Porsche cant force you to have your maintenances done at a dealership to keep your warranty.

https://www.porsche.com/filestore.as...letype=default

Mike
Old 05-29-2018, 10:32 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

I have been able to search service history with a vin at the selling dealer. They would not share the owners name, but provided me with full service history.
I am looking at a few Macan's. i don't need the previous owners name(s), but like to see servicing.
If you can't get yours. Drop all the fluids. Doesn't cost a lot. Excellent peace of mind.
Plugs and coil? belts and pumps. You can visually inspect-ish. You'll get a light or a warning.
Tires? There is a date stamp on them. Max 5 years for me.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:29 PM
jimf15e
Rennlist Member

Thank you to everyone for the inputs and recommendations. I'm going to make a few more attempts with the selling dealer's service department as well as one of the dealerships listed on the Carfax.

If no luck then I'll do what's been recommended by a couple of you - change all fluids and have the plugs and coils inspected. Then I'll pick up the schedule at the 6 year point. It's also good to know some of our presumptions are correct - in order to CPO there needs to be documentation that servicing has been done.

Thanks again to everyone, but I'm always open to more suggestions and helpful tips! About 4 months in and loving the car. And there's nothing better than the laughter and smile on our sons face when I give it a little extra gas with the top down. He loves it!
Old 05-30-2018, 01:35 PM
jimf15e
Rennlist Member

Success! I got lucky and spoke to a different service advisor at the dealership that sold me the car. He was extremely helpful and emailed me the entire service history of work that his shop performed on the car. I was also able to verify (but not get a copy of) the oil change service that was performed by an indy shop 6 years back, based on what was listed on the carfax. Combing through all the records I was able to piece together that it's had nearly all required servicing done. I do need to take care of the PDK clutch oil, drive belt, and AWD controller oil servicing per the 6 year service recommendation since it's been in service for about 6.5 years, but I anticipated the need for that. I was more concerned with the overall history and having those records in my position. Thanks again for all the advice and recommendations!

Jim
Old 05-30-2018, 02:46 PM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Drop all the fluids. Doesn't cost a lot. Excellent peace of mind.
I just did this on mine myself. The labor involved in performing a FULL change of the things in the maintenance manual (a major) is more extensive than one would think. Then all the consumables add up real quick too.

I don't know what a dealer charges, but if I owned a shop I would charge somewhere in the $1000 range.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:05 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've looked and looked and not anywhere do I see coolant flush. Is Porsche just messing with the air cooled guys??

"Hey these never need a coolant flush either."

Quick Reply: Start service intervals from scratch?