Hagerty Track insurance

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 04:01 PM
alwayswantedone
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hagerty Track insurance

Hey folks,
Going to get a single-event policy for a track event here locally. Totally novice, no time trials, etc. Literally beginner. However I notice that the Hagerty offering does not cover liability. I'm guessing my normal insurance provider wouldn't either, under the circumstance. Any advice on providers that do cover single-event for liability, just for peace of mind?

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2018, 04:11 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Indeed...visit TheOpenTrack.com, where they just launched the most sensibly priced single-event (even multi-day) track insurance with optional liability coverage.

Let us know how you make out.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:05 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Indeed...visit TheOpenTrack.com, where they just launched the most sensibly priced single-event (even multi-day) track insurance with optional liability coverage.

Let us know how you make out.
Thank you for this! I see a lot of my favorite tracks on the West Coast and a 1 day coverage quote is not bad at all.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:56 PM
bstmusic
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just did my first HPDE in Houston this April. Before the event, I checked with my State Farm agent: as long as I was NOT racing, my usual insurance coverage applied. This makes the extra track insurance unnecessary.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:54 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

I use https://ontrackinsurance.com/index.aspx

RL Member and great outfit. Slightly cheaper than Lockton & Hagerty.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:45 AM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

What would a one Day event typically cost? I am one the fence if I want to track, but it would be nice to know.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:38 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Well, it's based on the stated value of your car. I declare mine @ $35k. That costs about $225, which includes both days, instructor coverage and you can add an additional driver for a few extra bucks. Most of them just give you the second day free. If you're new to DE then I'd advise it for piece of mind. I've got a few seasons and tracks under my belt and now I only insure for certain tracks. It does add to the cost of the weekend but you will feel more comfortable and drive better not worrying about the loss if something goes wrong.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:26 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by bstmusic
I just did my first HPDE in Houston this April. Before the event, I checked with my State Farm agent: as long as I was NOT racing, my usual insurance coverage applied. This makes the extra track insurance unnecessary.
I'd get anew insurance agent! Guaranteed State Farm will not cover a track loss. Read the policy and quote the language here. The insurance companies have gotten a lot savior over the years. It used to be time trials and racing was not covered. The language has been significantly broadened in most of the major carrier policies now to exclude any closed track events, with the possible exception of parade laps.
Don't take a very expensive chance - get Lockton, Haggerty, ontrack, etc.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:59 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bstmusic
Your agent doesn't bind State Farm. He can day anything he wants. Read your policy.

Liability coverage is a waste of money. Everybody signs away your liability when they sign the waiver.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:18 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,963 Likes on 2,043 Posts

Any insurance agent that says your coverage will cover an on track accident is probably incorrect. Even if your normal insurance did, for $300-400 to have Lockton HPDE Insurance is just smarter. That way, if you have a claim, your normal insurance isnt going to immediately drop you after paying out a $60,000 claim due to a track accident. This is similar to using your homeowners insurance to protect watches and jewelry. First of all, your deductible is going to be quite high, second, they probably only cover $1000 or so and third would you really want to make a homeowners claim for a watch or jewelry.

https://locktonmotorsports.com/product/hpde-insurance
Old 05-29-2018, 09:56 AM
matt997
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I did my first hpde event last month at mid Ohio. Since it was my first event I did get track insurance.

I went with RLI, $55k assumed value for $303. $5k deductible. That covered the entire 2 day event.

Looking back, glad I had it for my first time but when I go next year I'll most likely not insure again.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:02 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by matt997
I did my first hpde event last month at mid Ohio. Since it was my first event I did get track insurance.

I went with RLI, $55k assumed value for $303. $5k deductible. That covered the entire 2 day event.

Looking back, glad I had it for my first time but when I go next year I'll most likely not insure again.
It's sort of like unprotected sex. I saw a very nice 996 at the track two summers ago. Guy was having a blast. He went off track and into the grass. No harm, no foul. While he was sitting there, his toasty cats caught the grass on fire, which of course caught the car on fire. It was a hot, dry summer that year. Moral of story - you just never know.

Quick Reply: Hagerty Track insurance