Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First 911–997.1 Manual or 997.2 PDK?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 11:57 AM
voodoo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

I couldn't imagine not buying a manual 911. Just my opinion.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:14 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I don't think it's a "first 911" question as much as a personal preference question. If you like manual transmissions, then buy that. I had the OE short shift kit in my 997, and it was sweet. If you prefer a dual-clutch automatic, then PDK is hard to beat. There's no wrong decision. Buy the one that is right for you.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:24 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oneten
Hey guys,

I'm looking into my first 911 and the 997 has been one of my favorite generations.
I've sourced 2, both with similar options and both with similar price: One is a 2005 Carrera manual and the other is a 2009 Carrera PDK.
I went into my search thinking it must be a manual (this would be a weekend car since my daily is an electric car and I miss that analog feel), but stumbled on a 997.2 with PDK which also seems intriguing (and wouldn't have to worry much about the IMS issue).

If given the choice, which would you guys go for and why?

Here's some advice from a recent buyer. This will never be a choice between 2 cars. It is a choice among 100s. Look around, take test drives, stick to your local area initially as there is a lot of slippage in an out of town purchase. Consider what your budget is and what your operating costs will be. Can you really afford the car? Are you a good mechanic ? Do you embrace risk or like to play it safe? What is your end goal ? Keeper for life or frequent horse trader ? Why is the seller selling ? Are they trust worthy ?

One of the initial pieces of advice I got here was "when you buy the car, you're buying the ex-owner" - if you don't like them, don't trust them, walk away. This ended up being the DECISIVE factor in the car that I bought. The ex owner had no problem taking the CPO car into a Porsche dealer and telling them "fix everything so it's up to date" - well that and the records to prove it.

It is possible to buy a $30k to 60k Porsche with 40,000 miles and find out it needs $3-7k in maintenance. Bottom line consider every car, every cost, and learn as much as you can before making a purchase. I saw 3 'ideal' cars bought before I could even go to look at them. Most of them within a days drive or less. So have your cash ready, be willing to skip work - what ever it takes to move and move fast when the right one comes along.

But not so fast - don't buy without a PPI, A DME/over rev and fault code report (and be able to understand them) and FFS don't wire any money or pay even a nickle for a car you haven't seen in person and checked the title against the VIN. Scams abound in the Porsche market right now. Again - no matter how good the deal seems DON'T WIRE MONEY.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:57 PM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

I have an 05 C2S with a 6 speed. Manual for the win for sure. When I had my clutch replaced, Road Scholars recommended that I not worry about my IMS. When they hooked up the computer to my car they said that there was no reason to replace it. Sorry I can’t remember the exact verbiage that they told me. Something like it was within a certain threshold. IDK if anyone can help me out with what I’m trying to say. My engine number falls into the category that should have it replaced. I was advised to always split open the oil filter & inspect for small metal shavings like is advised on this forum. They also told me that I would feel that my car is not running right. The car has not been tracked so far. I’m just under 50k miles and the car is amazing. I drive my car very swiftly & enjoy rowing thru the gears. Definitely what ever car you buy you will love the experience.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:02 PM
kwc
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shekmark
Why is an 05 the same price as an 09? Something else ? Major mileage difference?
mileage difference. 997.1 is at around 52k vs 997.2 at around 100k
Old 05-22-2018, 03:17 PM
srcn
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

997.2 Carrera PDK if you anticipate driving it regularly in traffic.

997.1 C2S/C4S 6MT if you anticipate driving it less in traffic and more in its natural environment.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:22 PM
sleepy_911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alexl911
Personally, I would always take the manual over a PDK, especially an early PDK. The bigger question is whether to avoid an '05 altogether due to the IMS, which will need to be addressed just like in any 996. The IMS was updated in '06 -but you would need to confirm by VIN. There's a a reason '05's are much cheaper.
True. I've been actually looking for 05's that are under a certain engine code so I can do the IMS retrofit to it. Unless there are some concerns of retrofitted IMS that have been blowing up engines that I should be concerned about. Has that happened to anyone here?
Old 05-22-2018, 03:23 PM
sleepy_911
Track Day

Originally Posted by BaileyII
I have an 05 C2S with a 6 speed. Manual for the win for sure. When I had my clutch replaced, Road Scholars recommended that I not worry about my IMS. When they hooked up the computer to my car they said that there was no reason to replace it. Sorry I can’t remember the exact verbiage that they told me. Something like it was within a certain threshold. IDK if anyone can help me out with what I’m trying to say. My engine number falls into the category that should have it replaced. I was advised to always split open the oil filter & inspect for small metal shavings like is advised on this forum. They also told me that I would feel that my car is not running right. The car has not been tracked so far. I’m just under 50k miles and the car is amazing. I drive my car very swiftly & enjoy rowing thru the gears. Definitely what ever car you buy you will love the experience.
This is comforting to hear. Thanks!
Old 05-22-2018, 03:24 PM
sleepy_911
Track Day

Originally Posted by Meursault88
Here's some advice from a recent buyer. This will never be a choice between 2 cars. It is a choice among 100s. Look around, take test drives, stick to your local area initially as there is a lot of slippage in an out of town purchase. Consider what your budget is and what your operating costs will be. Can you really afford the car? Are you a good mechanic ? Do you embrace risk or like to play it safe? What is your end goal ? Keeper for life or frequent horse trader ? Why is the seller selling ? Are they trust worthy ?

One of the initial pieces of advice I got here was "when you buy the car, you're buying the ex-owner" - if you don't like them, don't trust them, walk away. This ended up being the DECISIVE factor in the car that I bought. The ex owner had no problem taking the CPO car into a Porsche dealer and telling them "fix everything so it's up to date" - well that and the records to prove it.

It is possible to buy a $30k to 60k Porsche with 40,000 miles and find out it needs $3-7k in maintenance. Bottom line consider every car, every cost, and learn as much as you can before making a purchase. I saw 3 'ideal' cars bought before I could even go to look at them. Most of them within a days drive or less. So have your cash ready, be willing to skip work - what ever it takes to move and move fast when the right one comes along.

But not so fast - don't buy without a PPI, A DME/over rev and fault code report (and be able to understand them) and FFS don't wire any money or pay even a nickle for a car you haven't seen in person and checked the title against the VIN. Scams abound in the Porsche market right now. Again - no matter how good the deal seems DON'T WIRE MONEY.
Really great advice here. Thanks! One thing I'm keeping in mind is that though its a more affordable Porsche today (given that its a 10-13 year old car), it still has the maintenance of a $100k car.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:28 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by oneten
Hey guys,
I've sourced 2, both with similar options and both with similar price: One is a 2005 Carrera manual and the other is a 2009 Carrera PDK.
I went into my search thinking it must be a manual (this would be a weekend car since my daily is an electric car and I miss that analog feel)
Originally Posted by golfnutintib
you want analog feel... go for manual (you shd ideally upgrade to a GT3/short shifter or numeric shifter) as a stock 997 manual shifter can be loose and sloppy
Originally Posted by rubenswm
Personally I’d never buy a car without manual shift
Originally Posted by KeepItTidy
Beacuse this is purely a weekend car I wanted the most excitement possible and opted for the older Manual.
I regret Nothing!
Originally Posted by Jaskfri
Get the 997.1 inspected.If it checks out ok buy it. Nothing will replace a manual shift if you want one.T he risks of a .1 or .2 are a very small % of the population.
Originally Posted by OnlineAlias
I'll just leave this here....
Originally Posted by alexl911
Personally, I would always take the manual over a PDK, especially an early PDK. .
Originally Posted by thurm33
I'm biased, but I'd go for the manual 997.1
Originally Posted by voodoo
I couldn't imagine not buying a manual 911. Just my opinion.
+1 With a manual gearbox.

Old 05-22-2018, 04:32 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I would not buy a modern 911 without PDK. 997.2 all the way.

But of course the manual only crew is the loudest, to the point a person might start thinking its the only right option. In the end it's a personal decision that is best left to your own judgement. There is not one of them which is better.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:48 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't want a sportscar without a 3-pedal manual. Period. If you're not adamant about it, then the 9A1 engine seems to have less issues than the M96/97. IMS has never been a problem with my '05. Had it retrofitted with the ceramic LN at 30K. At 60K it was suffering bore scoring. I now have nickies and The Solution, so IMO it's as durable as a 9A1. Don't forget, AFAIK PDK can't be rebuilt in-house, the only recourse if it fails (and apparently it's not unheard of) is replace it, and (again AFAIK) they're around $12K. Not as much as an engine but still not chump change. But the main factor governing reliability of an older car, whether it's 9 yrs old or 13, is how it was driven and maintained. A well-maintained '05 could very well be less trouble than an '09 that was neglected. I don't see the reason to have to decide between just these two vehicles. There are a lot of them out there. Patience is your friend.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:03 PM
Steven954
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you already know the right answer Stick all the way, much more fun.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:24 PM
Shred
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 997.2 C2S Manual

My opinion:
If you plan on tracking it, buy a 997.2 PDK with Sports Chrono over a 997.1 Manual.

If you don't track, 997.1 manual would do just fine for a street car.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:44 PM
Wpgb
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

I am a manual car guy and wanted a 997.2 6MT but bought a 997.2 PDK because I couldn’t find the car I wanted in manual.

I ended up finding the perfect car - color, mileage, sports chrono, history, condition - but it was PDK.

I settled and ended up buying the PDK and kind of regret it. There are some days that I actually love the PDK but too often I wish I had bought a 6MT.

Don’t get in a hurry and buy what you really want. You’ll be living with the car after the joy of gain has subsided and if you compromise on the transmission, you’ll probably regret it.

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE my 911, but do wish I had waited and gotten a manual.

Quick Reply: First 911–997.1 Manual or 997.2 PDK?