Sponsored by:

Griot's Garage - Buyer Beware

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 12:05 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Griot's Garage - Buyer Beware

Over the past several months I have been toying with the idea of doing some paint correction work on my Porsche. After quite a bit of research I decided upon Griots Garage products for a number of reasons. I realized that some of their products can be purchased at local auto parts stores and I was able to get a few things. I was also able to find a few things on Amazon which was great to get super fast shipping with my Prime Membership. For the remainder of the items that I needed, I placed an order online with Griots Garage. WHAT A HUGE MISTAKE that was!!!!

I placed my online orders from both Amazon and Griot’s on Thursday, May 10th. The items that I ordered from Amazon arrived on Saturday and Sunday. Awesome. Then I looked at my shipping information from Griot’s and realized they use the absolute cheapest and slowest shipping method possible. My order is not scheduled to arrive at my house until Monday, May 21st. Keep in mind that Griot’s processed my order quickly and shipped on Friday, May 11th. They shipped via FedEx Smartpost which apparently takes 10 days to get from Indiana to Colorado.

In this Amazon world, this just seems completely unacceptable.

What makes me even more frustrating is Griot’s shipping terms. If you spend $59 or more they include shipping (via FedEx Smartpost apparently) for free. The only other option I had at the time of my $120 order was to spend $49 for 2 day shipping. There is no option from them between $0 for 11 days and $49 for 2 days. $49 for shipping of some lightweight stuff seemed excessively high so I didn’t take that option.

Fantastic products, but apparently this company hasn’t realized it’s 2018 yet.

If you decide to order directly from Griots….either be prepared to wait an insanely long time, or pay their excessively over-priced charges for faster shipping.

All in all, I’m wishing I would have just used a different set of products and maybe I just should.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:24 PM
Steve 911
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 118 Posts

To be fair, that sounds exactly like what Amazon does when you do not have a prime account and choose "free shipping".

I don't have any experience with their products, but I hope you enjoy them once they arrive.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:42 PM
bstmusic
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wait - there are people who don't have Amazon Prime?! On another note, I've been real happy with the array of Car Pro products I've been using since Feb to maintain my ceramic finish on my '07 C2.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:56 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
Over the past several months I have been toying with the idea of doing some paint correction work on my Porsche. After quite a bit of research I decided upon Griots Garage products for a number of reasons. I realized that some of their products can be purchased at local auto parts stores and I was able to get a few things. I was also able to find a few things on Amazon which was great to get super fast shipping with my Prime Membership. For the remainder of the items that I needed, I placed an order online with Griots Garage. WHAT A HUGE MISTAKE that was!!!!

I placed my online orders from both Amazon and Griot’s on Thursday, May 10th. The items that I ordered from Amazon arrived on Saturday and Sunday. Awesome. Then I looked at my shipping information from Griot’s and realized they use the absolute cheapest and slowest shipping method possible. My order is not scheduled to arrive at my house until Monday, May 21st. Keep in mind that Griot’s processed my order quickly and shipped on Friday, May 11th. They shipped via FedEx Smartpost which apparently takes 10 days to get from Indiana to Colorado.

What makes me even more frustrating is Griot’s shipping terms. If you spend $59 or more they include shipping (via FedEx Smartpost apparently) for free. The only other option I had at the time of my $120 order was to spend $49 for 2 day shipping. There is no option from them between $0 for 11 days and $49 for 2 days. $49 for shipping of some lightweight stuff seemed excessively high so I didn’t take that option.

If you decide to order directly from Griots….either be prepared to wait an insanely long time, or pay their excessively over-priced charges for faster shipping.

All in all, I’m wishing I would have just used a different set of products and maybe I just should.
Have you tried products from Adam’s Polishes? Their product offering is very similar to Griot’s Garage, and I actually prefer many of their products. Their warehouse is in a Boulder, CO and I usually receive product in 2 days or less. Adam is an active sponsor of the local Porsche clubs, and he puts on a detailing clinic every summer for PCA. I usually learn a few great tips when I attend, and I usually leave with quite a few new products too.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:28 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE

Eat a Snickers.....
Old 05-18-2018, 02:40 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C
\
Have you tried products from Adam’s Polishes? Their product offering is very similar to Griot’s Garage, and I actually prefer many of their products. Their warehouse is in a Boulder, CO and I usually receive product in 2 days or less. Adam is an active sponsor of the local Porsche clubs, and he puts on a detailing clinic every summer for PCA. I usually learn a few great tips when I attend, and I usually leave with quite a few new products too.
Sounds great. I'll give them a try while I'm waiting for my snickers hangriness to subside for another 4 days...
I can buy from them, wait the 2 days, and have my entire car complete before the old stuff even shows up. LOL

Old 05-18-2018, 02:44 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

William Defoe is a great actor.....really great in Platoon.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:51 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

I read the title and thought you were going to rip their products. ha

PCA SDR holds their annual Tech Session at Detailer Supply Plaza with a Griot's Garage rep giving demos. Maybe try these guys next time. Amazon Prime shipping is plus and it does make non-Amazon purchases feel like eternity. My wife complains about it all of the time since she does a lot of online shopping.

http://www.pcasdr.org/event/tech-session-griots-garage/

http://www.detailsupplyplaza.com/
Old 05-18-2018, 03:04 PM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a GG orbital buffer. One of the best tools I have ever bought.

Totally worth the horrendous, inexcusable 10 day wait
Old 05-18-2018, 03:34 PM
rwdds
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

If there is a PepBoys near you, they carry Griot products. Autozone, not so much. I have the 6" orbital and love it.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:10 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 288 Likes on 171 Posts

Smartpost sucks. It's not worth using them to save a couple of bucks on shipping. I'm guessing griots margins aren't that tight and agree they should at least have a $5.99 or something option to just priority mail things.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:41 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Tbh Idrc if it takes a week or two to get detailing supplies as long as the shipping is free or dirt cheap. Different case than if it's a part I need to get a car back on the road. Getting bent out of shape and stressed is bad for my health, so I think carefully before letting it happen. I met Mr. Griot at Detailfest, seems like a standup guy. I use quite a few of their products and have been satisfied with most. Recently got their 3" RO and happy with it considering it's a third the cost of the name-brand one. That said, I've tried a bunch of products from a number of the "designer" labels and tbh I don't see a whole lot of difference between those and Mothers, Meguairs and frankly, Turtle Wax.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:01 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
Tbh Idrc if it takes a week or two to get detailing supplies as long as the shipping is free or dirt cheap. Different case than if it's a part I need to get a car back on the road. Getting bent out of shape and stressed is bad for my health, so I think carefully before letting it happen. I met Mr. Griot at Detailfest, seems like a standup guy. I use quite a few of their products and have been satisfied with most. Recently got their 3" RO and happy with it considering it's a third the cost of the name-brand one. That said, I've tried a bunch of products from a number of the "designer" labels and tbh I don't see a whole lot of difference between those and Mothers, Meguairs and frankly, Turtle Wax.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:29 AM
user 72902
Banned

I’ve been using Griots for years. They warrant everything that they sell for life with no questions asked. I’m ok waiting a week or so on shipping for the way they stand behind their products.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:19 PM
Steve 911
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
My best results have been from Menzerna and Sonax products. I don't mind some of the "designer" brands for car soaps, wheel cleaners, etc. but I agree that some of the off the shelf stuff is pretty good too.

Quick Reply: Griot's Garage - Buyer Beware