Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AWD front axle reinstall to front diff - did I mess up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 01:20 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts
Default AWD front axle reinstall to front diff - did I mess up?

Hello everyone,

In true Jeebus31 fashion, I potentially messed up a DIY - I was removing the driver's side front strut in order to replace my stock springs with Eibach pro kits and I did not unbolt the front axle shaft from the front diff. When I was rotating the wheel carrier out, the axle popped out of the diff. I am not sure if the seal was ruptured - I was able to unbolt the shaft at the front diff, reinsert the joint flange (99733230900) and bolt the shaft back into the flange/diff without much difficulty. I started the car on jackstands and slowly shifted into first without any leaks. Would y'all recommend doing anything else? There is a minute amount of play in the half shafts (on both sides, actually) and the axles spin freely. Of course once I'm done with the springs, I'll test drive and do a more thorough leak analysis...

After that lesson, I was able to do the passenger's side strut in less than half the time.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:48 PM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meh, it isn't like these can go together wrong and continue to function without any obvious issues. I wouldn't worry about it until when/if it starts to leak, but I would inspect the area a little more intensively for the first few hundred miles looking for any issue, not just leaks.

Even then just take it apart and replace the seal. You already know how to do it!
Old 05-17-2018, 03:52 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

This happened to me last year on my C4S. I basically ended up taking apart the entire front suspension to get the strut out (I was also installing Eibach Pro-Kit springs). I unbolted the axle from the hub/upright/wheel carrier, but did not unbolt the axle from the front diff. Pulling the hub off the car, I also pulled the axle out a touch.

Put it all back together, drove car to shop for alignment, drove it back home and drove it around a day or two, then noticed puddle of fluid near the front. Further investigation (including removal of some of the front undertray plastic) revealed the axle wasn't fully seated back into the front diff. More manhandling and got it popped back in. Topped up with a bit of gear oil. Not apparent leaks since.

When you do your further inspection, I suggest you remove the front undertray plastic to see. It was difficult to tell just looking from the side whether the axle was properly seated back into the diff. I thought it was and so did the shop, or rather, they didn't notice anything untoward. It took noticing the leak to lead to further investigation.

I also had to buy a massive 3/4" drive torque wrench to get up to the requisite 350 ft lbs (or whatever it was) to torque back the axle nut. My 1/2" drive torque wrench was about 100 ft lbs short.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:54 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Beautiful - thanks for the tips. I did previously drain/fill the front diff so I'm ready to tackle this job should there be any leaks.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:40 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Ok, I double checked everything today when I still had the car up on stilts. I removed the driver's side front strut again, unbolted the drive shaft, and removed the joint flange. The circlip was still attached to the joint flange and I was able to reinsert the flange into the differential. From beneath the car, I made sure it was snug up against the differential, bolted it back to the drive shaft, and again made sure it was still snug. If it starts leaking, then either the seal is failed or I don't know how to turn a wrench (entirely possible).
Old 05-19-2018, 12:37 AM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Sounds like you’re in top of things. I actually drove the car around for what must have been 20-30km with the one axle popped off the front diff. It was quite obvious once the undertray plastic was removed.

Last edited by Saaboteur; 05-19-2018 at 01:51 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:11 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,007 Likes on 715 Posts

Man....the projects some of you guys get into with these cars is impressive. I used to do my own wrenching on my earlier sport cars and motorcycles but this car with all its complexities and electronics involved intimidates me. I do the air filters and oil change but that's pretty much where I draw the line.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:45 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Don’t let it scare you. Axle shafts have been popping out of differentials in the exact same way for decades. Not much changes with the mechanicals and the skills needed to remove and replace. The electronics add a bit of complexity for sure, but save for a wire coming out of a shock or strut there isn’t much difference.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:01 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Man....the projects some of you guys get into with these cars is impressive. I used to do my own wrenching on my earlier sport cars and motorcycles but this car with all its complexities and electronics involved intimidates me. I do the air filters and oil change but that's pretty much where I draw the line.
In the not-so-distant past I thought I would be a surgeon, but ultimately didn't want to put in the time... I definitely enjoy taking apart and putting back together my 911! This is the most complex car I've worked on but dealers and indys make mistakes too, so to me it's just a matter of having the right tools, the proper directions, and some guidance from the wonderful group of folks on RL. There's a certain satisfaction that comes from a DIY job done correctly, and I can blame myself for anything that goes wrong (like the axle popping out). After my indy replaced the transmission on my 911, I was ~200 miles from home when I pulled over for gas and noticed gear oil sprayed all over my rear bumper. They overfilled the trans fluid through the wrong hole and one of the rear half shaft seals ruptured. 100% guarantee I would not have made that mistake, because I previously did a trans oil drain/fill and knew there are two fill holes on the 997.1: the right one and the wrong one. It almost ruined a weekend trip and I had to tow it to the closest P-dealer for repair. I was not happy. Shoulda just DIY'd it!

Quick Reply: AWD front axle reinstall to front diff - did I mess up?