Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono a must?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 01:53 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

They would be the only ones claiming that. Porsche does not and Porsche does not list new SAE numbers for sport chrono equipped cars.

Mike
Old 05-17-2018, 02:40 PM
ocgarza
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by shekmark
Mine does not have it. I am thinking that I don't miss what I don't have. I would have to drive one like mine , with it, to see if it's worth spending $1500 on. Jeeze...this forum is making my car more costly than my boat! BTW...I guess your a dentist, or just really like clean teeth. .
Whoa! If your boat costs more than your car, you've got the wrong car... or you just like to clean fish
Old 05-17-2018, 03:30 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
Doesnt every 997 have the sport button?
No, mine doesn't have one and I prefer it that way. Based on previous experience, the sport button makes the throttle too sensitive and harder to modulate.

I also hate the wart on the dash.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:53 PM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
They would be the only ones claiming that. Porsche does not and Porsche does not list new SAE numbers for sport chrono equipped cars.

Mike
But Sharkwerks would also be the ones who have actually had their eyeballs on the factory maps and cared to comment on it. No way to prove unicorns don't exist, so it aint worth arguing here.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:00 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 743 Likes on 425 Posts

Sport Mode seems to have a clear impact on the vario cam. VTEC kicks in way earlier IMO in Sport Mode tho. woot woot.
I drive in LA traffic a lot, so like above, if I am in traffic, I am in normal mode because the throttle response in sport mode is not conducive to stop and go traffic or really mellow around town cruising. It is much much more sensitive. The whole car seems to be much more awake, almost frenetic, in sports mode from my standpoint.
If traffic clears, I am usually in Chris Harris Mode (sport on/PASM normal) 95% of the time.
Sometimes when I am in the canyons around LA, I will run in Sport Mode (which includes PASM on when you press it). That is the other 5% but even then, I notice on Angeles Crest, I will do Sport Mode but PASM normal/off.
I have not tracked my car yet but I would assume, at the track, Sport Mode with the PASM on would just be pressed the whole time.
Also, IDK if this is true or not, but I seem to get more pops and burbles on downshifts in Sport Mode.
A custom dyno tune could net you better gains all around I would assume. I would also assume that you could have map switching as part of a custom tune. I have done this on other cars but not my 911 yet. If I did not have Sports Chrono + on my car and I was considering it, if a custom dyno tune with map switching from a reliable tuner was in the same ballpark of pricing or cheaper, I would do that first without hesitation.
Last, I actually really like looking at the stop watch. Sometimes I will time how long I sit in traffic when it is taking me over an hour to drive 20 miles, it gives me something to look at/play with. I think the analog stopwatch looks cool...but I wouldn't really use it in any real sense unless it could interact with the track timing when I go to the track.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:23 PM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jamesinger
Sport Mode seems to have a clear impact on the vario cam. VTEC kicks in way earlier IMO in Sport Mode tho. woot woot.
I drive in LA traffic a lot, so like above, if I am in traffic, I am in normal mode because the throttle response in sport mode is not conducive to stop and go traffic or really mellow around town cruising. It is much much more sensitive. The whole car seems to be much more awake, almost frenetic, in sports mode from my standpoint.
If traffic clears, I am usually in Chris Harris Mode (sport on/PASM normal) 95% of the time.
Sometimes when I am in the canyons around LA, I will run in Sport Mode (which includes PASM on when you press it). That is the other 5% but even then, I notice on Angeles Crest, I will do Sport Mode but PASM normal/off.
I have not tracked my car yet but I would assume, at the track, Sport Mode with the PASM on would just be pressed the whole time.
Also, IDK if this is true or not, but I seem to get more pops and burbles on downshifts in Sport Mode.
A custom dyno tune could net you better gains all around I would assume. I would also assume that you could have map switching as part of a custom tune. I have done this on other cars but not my 911 yet. If I did not have Sports Chrono + on my car and I was considering it, if a custom dyno tune with map switching from a reliable tuner was in the same ballpark of pricing or cheaper, I would do that first without hesitation.
Last, I actually really like looking at the stop watch. Sometimes I will time how long I sit in traffic when it is taking me over an hour to drive 20 miles, it gives me something to look at/play with. I think the analog stopwatch looks cool...but I wouldn't really use it in any real sense unless it could interact with the track timing when I go to the track.
VTEC YO!

Really, there's more things that can be manipulated with the sport mode software...vario cam, ignition timing (that one's not settled), the manifold vane, air fuel ratio...so many things that one can't really know unless the code is disassembled on the ECU and mapped out. Regardless, it is a complicated difference.

There very well might be more popping on decel too through all of the above complexity, though I haven't noticed (ever noticed a Mercedes AMG whatever pops and crackles like crazy? That's totally synthetic and deliberate, derived from computer programming injecting too much fuel right at throttle lift.)

On the track, I find the sport mode throttle response much more aggressive, and therefore my heel-toe-ing is smoother.

Ever noticed the back lighting on the Sport Chrono clock is different than on the instrument cluster? That bugs me.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:43 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 743 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by OnlineAlias
Ever noticed the back lighting on the Sport Chrono clock is different than on the instrument cluster? That bugs me.
I will now!!
[engage OCD mental torture].
Old 05-17-2018, 07:46 PM
mikemessi
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Personally, I dislike the over sensitive throttle in sport chrono mode. Much like a car with over boosted steering or brake assist it ruins the feel/modulation and becomes an on/off switch making it difficult to modulate mid corner on track. On the street it does give the impression of more power or at least seems more eager. The biggest advantage of sport chrono in my opinion is the stability control allows a slight drift before intervening. Instead of a single switch I wish Porsche was more like BMW and allowed you to select throttle mapping and stability control settings separately. For me, I prefer to leave sport chrono off for the linear throttle inputs but then have to turn PSM off or it intervenes too early. So I don't use it. Agree that when learning heel toe it is easier with sport chrono but I think after becoming proficient makes no difference. So in summary, early on I liked sport chrono, but as I became a better driver and carried enough speed into the corner to necessitate better throttle modulation to catch the mid corner rotation moment, it became intrusive. If you prefer to leave stability control on and just mash the gas on corner exit, then it's great.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:57 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FlossedM3
I've been looking at 07-11's Carrera S in manual recently and not all of them have the Sport Chrono option. Am I going to hate myself for not waiting on one with one?
No, if yours is CS manual. If you are talking about the Sport Mode (which is different from Sport Chrono), then it is highly desirable because it remaps your throttle response and in combination with PASM, it also stiffens up the suspension. The Sport Chrono is more designed for PDK, not manual. It is confusing. Trust me you want Sports Mode for manual, not Sport Chrono which is an option too, but not needed for manual.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:46 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

There is Sport and there is Sport Plus... With PDK Sport Plus should be used in M mode on the street, of course.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:16 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 288 Likes on 171 Posts

I still don't understand the point on a non pasm car. Speeding up throttle response and toning down the psm nannies seems like it could be achieved by modulating your right foot differently and turning psm off. Shrug.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:42 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 493 Likes on 314 Posts

On the 997.2 cars...

Base Carrera - 6MT

Carrera S - 6MT and PDK without Sports Chrono

Carrera S - 6MT with Sports-Chrono package

Carrera S - PDK with Sports Chrono package

Karl.
The following users liked this post:
BLU997 (03-12-2021)
Old 05-17-2018, 11:02 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 93 Posts

IMO a must have only if you have PDK.

btw. My 997.2 C2 base (PDK with option 640 - sport chrono package plus) has SPORT and SPORT PLUS buttons:
Old 05-18-2018, 08:55 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Old video from 2004 but....

Old 05-18-2018, 09:01 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,170 Likes on 3,934 Posts

I'm with mikemessi and ATSR as one who does not like Sport mode in my wife's 997.1 C2S with MT and SC as it makes the throttle way too touchy, like pressing it 10% makes it respond like 30%. I think it works similar to a Sprint Booster, just augmenting the throttle signal. It would be interesting to run live values on the throttle plate angle with Durametric in both normal and sport modes to see how the accelerator pedal angle correlates to the position of the throttle plate in the throttle body.

For a PDK equipped car, I hear it's a must to get the faster shifting, but I have no interest in a sports car that's not a manual so haven't experienced this first hand.

Another thing I didn't see mentioned is that if your car is equipped with PSE, pressing the sport button also opens the exhaust valves and there us not a separate button for the PSE setup like there is for the PASM suspension.

Nutshell: if PDK, get it... if 6MT, skip it and have the better looking dash.

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono a must?