Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Tire Warranty Reduced for Widebody?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 03:38 PM
Cmcdaniel993
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Michelin Tire Warranty Reduced for Widebody?

Sorry if this is common knowledge, but this is my first time buying new tires for my C4S. After looking at prices for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires online and locally, Costco had the cheapest price for all 4 tires. After I purchased the tires (I'm currently waiting for them to be shipped) they said... "Just so you know, because you are ordering a split set, the wear warranty gets cut in half, guaranteeing only 15K miles on these tires."

I have read enough posts to understand that I will be replacing the back tires 2 to 3 times more than the fronts going forward, but I had not noticed anyone referring to a warranty reduction. It's clear why a manufacturer would do this based on the offset wear, but just checking to see if I should buy from another dealer, or if I will face the same answer everywhere I go.

Thanks!
Chris
Old 05-15-2018, 03:45 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Amazingly timely post. I just ordered a set of PS4S for my Turbo from Costco last week, still waiting on them to ship as well. I didn't notice anything mentioning the warranty thing so I'll be interested to hear responses. (I'm also sort of wondering how long I'll have to wait on them to ship, if I had done Tirerack I'd have them already.)
Old 05-15-2018, 03:51 PM
ocgarza
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

We have no Costco where I live and I too purchased a set of PS4S (from Discount Tire). Full warranty.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:03 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

if you're gonna take a hit on the warranty I'm not sure the value is there to buy them from costco.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:24 PM
Cmcdaniel993
Rennlist Member

I just contacted Michelin NA through their customer care number - 1-866-866-6605, and was told that Michelin will always cut the warranty of the rear tires by 50%. The fronts are still honored at 100%. When I asked about different policies at different shops, the rep said that Michelin will not honor any other policy and that the shops should be telling clients this. I wonder if some shops don't bother telling Michelin that they are taking a set off of a mixed combination when applying for warranty reimbursement?

Oh well, thanks everyone for chiming in. Ill make sure my Costco knows to at least honor the fronts for 100%.
Chris
Old 05-15-2018, 04:28 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Thanks for following up with Michelin, that's good info to post.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:49 PM
Cmcdaniel993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Skwerl
Thanks for following up with Michelin, that's good info to post.
Thanks... I also contacted Costco back after this and they said that they would honor whatever Michelin says their warranty is. Hopefully you will get the same story. He suggested that Michelin must have changed their policy...
Old 05-16-2018, 08:21 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

The reduced warranty on a staggered setup probably has more to do with not being able to rotate the tires front to rear and vice versa and not being able to rotate the tires off the drive wheels. I also think its not only for widebody as the title suggests, but for any staggered setup, which would be every 911 except maybe the very early ones.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:11 AM
Cay911
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I love my Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on my 991 TT and the Dealership that sold them to me (yes, the Dealership who matched Tire Rack pricing). Right up front told me about the warranty being only 15,000 miles on the rears and I also double-checked with Michelin. As far as I am concerned 15,000 miles is 7,000 more miles than I got on the original Perellis!

I send a shout out to Melbourne, FL Porsche and Rich in parts who matched the prices.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:59 PM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Bingo.

OP, read the little Michelin pamphlet that should have come with your paperwork. It states the tires must be rotated every X miles for warranty and for staggered setups that cannot be rotated, the mileage warranty is reduced by half. I imagine this would apply to the front tires as well.

Originally Posted by Petza914
The reduced warranty on a staggered setup probably has more to do with not being able to rotate the tires front to rear and vice versa and not being able to rotate the tires off the drive wheels. I also think its not only for widebody as the title suggests, but for any staggered setup, which would be every 911 except maybe the very early ones.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:25 AM
Qwksnke
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rw229
Bingo.

OP, read the little Michelin pamphlet that should have come with your paperwork. It states the tires must be rotated every X miles for warranty and for staggered setups that cannot be rotated, the mileage warranty is reduced by half. I imagine this would apply to the front tires as well.
This is correct. On staggered setups, doesn't matter if it is front or rear, mileage warranty is reduced by half. Dealt with this on my AMG C63 for the last 3 years. 4k miles is all you could get out of the rear PSS's on that car due its weight and torque. That warranty came in handy twice a year
Old 05-17-2018, 08:17 AM
door2416
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rw229
Bingo.

I wonder how many people actually rotate their tires that often and on time. It also seems you had better have a receipt saying you had it done. I swap my tires in the winter so so i'd be SOL on any mile warranty anyway.

Last edited by door2416; 05-17-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:17 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,248 Likes on 1,253 Posts

I honestly don't know anyone who has ever taken advantage of a tire warranty. I tried once on a set of tires for one of my sports cars, but it was such a PIA, I said eff it and just bought a new set. I never get near what the warranty says, since I don't drive it in such a way so as to preserve the tires
Old 05-17-2018, 01:33 PM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by linderpat
I honestly don't know anyone who has ever taken advantage of a tire warranty. I tried once on a set of tires for one of my sports cars, but it was such a PIA, I said eff it and just bought a new set. I never get near what the warranty says, since I don't drive it in such a way so as to preserve the tires
This. There's a warranty on tires? Who knew?

Seriously though, these warranties are pro-rated so ridiculously and our wear is so short that to ever actually get something from a warranty isn't worth the hassle, in my mind.

Now if I put them on and there is something obviously wrong with them, warranty, shwaranty, they are giving me a new one.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:43 PM
Cmcdaniel993
Rennlist Member

Actually, when it comes to the value of a tire warranty, my wife drives a Volvo XC90 with 20" wheels that absolutely eats through tires because of the weight of the vehicle. I am averaging 11K miles for a set... Continental, Pirelli, and now Michelin. With each set I have received a prorated amount towards new tires turning a $1200-1600 event into a $400-600 replacement. I take her car to Discount Tire in MN and they have been great for this.

When it comes to the Porsche, I'm assuming that the amount of wear = to the amount of fun and I am not overly concerned about the warranty. I just wanted to understand if Costco or Michelin had a different policy than other sellers/manufacturers, and If I should be spending more money elsewhere to avoid a policy that might bite me.

After reading Cay911's post, I contacted my dealer to see what they could do. I would have gladly paid a bit more not to have to cart 4 tires back to the dealer for install (I'm having service done and asked the dealer to install these at the same time) that I'm sure wont fit into the 911, so now I have to take 2 cars to a dealer 40min away. I'm paying $1175 after tax through Costco (no install and $70 off a set of 4), and my dealer can only do $1540 after tax (no install). Its worth the ~$400 to cart the tires to the dealer, considering the install will still cost me $169.

Quick Reply: Michelin Tire Warranty Reduced for Widebody?