Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of insurance are you guys using?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 11:22 PM
Bomar Shelby
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Default What kind of insurance are you guys using?

Ok 997.2 owners, this topic appeared recently in the turbo forum, but what about us? I didn't find anything similar after searching. What I know for sure is that Liberty Mutual has my 7 vehicles including my 2009 C4S, my homeowners and my Yahama Razz scooter and I'm paying $12,000 annually and seeking better bang for my buck. My wife and myself are both retired so all vehicles are rated for pleasure less than 5k miles per year. I do live in Michigan where insurance is high due to "no-fault" law. Never any tickets nor accidents nor homeowner claims and no children at home, there's got to be something better out there.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:53 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

That's impossible to say without knowing the value of your house and cars and what your coverage limits are.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:02 AM
SF997S
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Geico has been competitive for me. I also have 2 bikes with them, but for some reason it has to be separate policies so I don’t get any additional price breaks and the rates are still OK.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:41 AM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 274 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Bomar Shelby
Ok 997.2 owners, this topic appeared recently in the turbo forum, but what about us? I didn't find anything similar after searching. What I know for sure is that Liberty Mutual has my 7 vehicles including my 2009 C4S, my homeowners and my Yahama Razz scooter and I'm paying $12,000 annually and seeking better bang for my buck. My wife and myself are both retired so all vehicles are rated for pleasure less than 5k miles per year. I do live in Michigan where insurance is high due to "no-fault" law. Never any tickets nor accidents nor homeowner claims and no children at home, there's got to be something better out there.

I too had had been with Liberty Mutual, for all our cars and homes, for the last 6 years. After they hiked up rates on us, we switched to Travelers, and I have a stated value policy on my 2011 GTS Coupe. The last thing I would want in the event of a theft or total loss, would be some crazy low wholesale value based on an S, and most insurance companies do not recognize the 2011 GTS as a special model since the code simply suggests it is a 4S. This has been corrected for 991.1 and beyond.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:02 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,160 Likes on 3,925 Posts

I have all my Vehicles on an Agreed Value policy with Grundy totalling about $450,000 for about $7k per year. My wife's 997, pickup, and widebody Cayenne Turbo S are listed as regular use vehicles with my 928 & 914 listed as Collector and my RUF R-Kompressor listed as an Exotic.

Previously I had the RUF 997, 928, & 914 with Hagerty and all my other vehicles and other policies with Travelers, but when I completed the widebody conversion and upgrades on the Cayenne project where I needed Agreed Value on it based on investment in it vs book value on an 09 TTS, Hagerty wouldn't add it saying it was too new and they don't do SUVs. They also wanted to limit the use and its our family trip car so I wasn't willing to sign to that classification knowing we wouldn't be using it in accordance with their limitations.

Grundy was willing to take the Cayenne on for Agreed Value only if I put all my vehicles onto one of their MVP policies, which is what I did. The coverages are at least as high as I had with Travelers and Hagerty and also keep in effect the Liability Umbrella I have with Travelers. My Homeowners, Valuables, Boat, and Umbrella are all still with Travelers.

Grundy's policy is underwritten by a special division of AIG.

Thomas, as an FYI a Stated Value policy is not the same as an Agreed Value policy as the insurance company can still revisit the valuation you "state" in the event of a total loss, whereas Agreed Value is what it sounds like where you and the insurance carrier have Agreed on the value and thus is what you'd receive in the event of a total loss or the valuation that would be used to determine a total loss (which us usually 75% of the vehicle value). Maybe you meant you had Agreed Value, but if not, you may want yo look into that so you don't get an ugly surprise in the event you have a claim on your Stated Value policy on your GTS.

If anyone is interested in looking into Grundy, I can ask my agent if he's OK with me posting his name and contact info into this thread.

Last edited by Petza914; 05-14-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:12 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Adding a 997.2 S fully covered to my Geico policy is going to run an extra $900 a year. We're switching to Allstate and they are charging about the same.

No claims, no accidents or tickets.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:10 AM
LISsailor
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Meursault88
Adding a 997.2 S fully covered to my Geico policy is going to run an extra $900 a year. We're switching to Allstate and they are charging about the same.

No claims, no accidents or tickets.
That seems high. I pay about $100/car/month. We keep 3 cars all about $60k value with normal deductibles and limits with Gieco. Home and all else is with Pure Ins. My wife and I are 35 and 37 years. Good history but not perfect. I think I have a cell phone ticket a few years ago on record.

This is thread has me thinking about an Agreed Value policy for the 4S as I asked what Gieco was valuing my Porsche at and they said whatever the market was at the time of accident. Not good.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:43 AM
matt997
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing you might look into is defining the car as an exhibition vehicle. We did that with our 997.2 C2S. Agreed value of $55k, 6000 miles a year and no rental car coverage (not a concern as this is a weekend car / non daily). We pay ~ $400 for this coverage per year.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:47 AM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 274 Likes on 158 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Petza914
I have all my Vehicles on an Agreed Value policy with Grundy totalling about $450,000 for about $7k per year. My wife's 997, pickup, and widebody Cayenne Turbo S are listed as regular use vehicles with my 928 & 914 listed as Collector and my RUF R-Kompressor listed as an Exotic.

Previously I had the RUF 997, 928, & 914 with Hagerty and all my other vehicles and other policies with Travelers, but when I completed the widebody conversion and upgrades on the Cayenne project where I needed Agreed Value on it based on investment in it vs book value on an 09 TTS, Hagerty wouldn't add it saying it was too new and they don't do SUVs. They also wanted to limit the use and its our family trip car so I wasn't willing to sign to that classification knowing we wouldn't be using it in accordance with their limitations.

Grundy was willing to take the Cayenne on for Agreed Value only if I put all my vehicles onto one of their MVP policies, which is what I did. The coverages are at least as high as I had with Travelers and Hagerty and also keep in effect the Liability Umbrella I have with Travelers. My Homeowners, Valuables, Boat, and Umbrella are all still with Travelers.

Grundy's policy is underwritten by a special division of AIG.

Thomas, as an FYI a Stated Value policy is not the same as an Agreed Value policy as the insurance company can still revisit the valuation you "state" in the event of a total loss, whereas Agreed Value is what it sounds like where you and the insurance carrier have Agreed on the value and thus is what you'd receive in the event of a total loss or the valuation that would be used to determine a total loss (which us usually 75% of the vehicle value). Maybe you meant you had Agreed Value, but if not, you may want yo look into that so you don't get an ugly surprise in the event you have a claim on your Stated Value policy on your GTS.

If anyone is interested in looking into Grundy, I can ask my agent if he's OK with me posting his name and contact info into this thread.
Good morning,

Yes, you are correct. I have an agreed value policy with Travelers. Not being in the business, I saw stated and agreed as the same, but you are correct! That's what I get for posting late at night.

Thank you for your very informative reply. With the overwhelming volume of stupid questions that pop up on forums, including this one - you know, ones like "which car should I buy, a 996 cab Tip or a 997.1 coupe 6 spd", it is always nice to read from someone who knows their stuff!

Have a great day Petza914
Old 05-14-2018, 11:04 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by matt997
One thing you might look into is defining the car as an exhibition vehicle. We did that with our 997.2 C2S. Agreed value of $55k, 6000 miles a year and no rental car coverage (not a concern as this is a weekend car / non daily). We pay ~ $400 for this coverage per year.
Which insurance company ?
Old 05-14-2018, 11:05 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LISsailor

That seems high. I pay about $100/car/month. We keep 3 cars all about $60k value with normal deductibles and limits with Gieco. Home and all else is with Pure Ins. My wife and I are 35 and 37 years. Good history but not perfect. I think I have a cell phone ticket a few years ago on record.

This is thread has me thinking about an Agreed Value policy for the 4S as I asked what Gieco was valuing my Porsche at and they said whatever the market was at the time of accident. Not good.
You pay $100 a month per car and I pay $900 a year and mine seems high??? You do know there's 12 months in a year right ????
Old 05-14-2018, 11:06 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ThomasCarreraGTS
Good morning,

Yes, you are correct. I have an agreed value policy with Travelers. Not being in the business, I saw stated and agreed as the same, but you are correct! That's what I get for posting late at night.

Thank you for your very informative reply. With the overwhelming volume of stupid questions that pop up on forums, including this one - you know, ones like "which car should I buy, a 996 cab Tip or a 997.1 coupe 6 spd", it is always nice to read from someone who knows their stuff!

Have a great day Petza914
Agreed Petza has been a wealth of information this AM. (we don't always agree but some nice tips today)
Old 05-14-2018, 12:27 PM
matt997
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Meursault88
Which insurance company ?
Cincinnati Insurance
Old 05-14-2018, 02:59 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 274 Posts

All our Sunday drivers are with American Modern. It's a agreed value and quite economical. Once you have a policy, they are quite flexible with what you are allowed to add. As long it is not a daily and you supply good pics, you are good to go. Currently we are covering:

1980 Scirocco
1981 Scirocco S
1999 M Coupe
2000 M Roadster
2005 Carrera 2
2007 Carrera 4
Old 05-14-2018, 03:21 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

This who are in Canada, Oregon and California have access to Wawanesa. They have really good rates but not as low as USAA. We have 4 cars under Wawanesa with full coverage; 250/500, $500 deductible and an annual premium of approx $1600/yr. My motos are with AAA Southern California since Wawanesa doesn't offer motorcycle insurance.

Quick Reply: What kind of insurance are you guys using?