Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gummy HVAC switches - good repair?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 06:53 PM
avonted
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish the Climarepair guy would have answered some of that feedback. I was ready to pull the trigger on MA Carbon and then read the Climarepair feedback. It seemed compelling to me to I was about to give them a shot. Then the last members comments made me stop.

Heres a thought for the Climarepair guy; sell them for less. You know the margins you have are ridiculous now (and by the way I am not judging...profit makes the world go around). Market your switches at a different price point that way people know what they are getting. Sometimes people are "ok" with paying less and getting less. Your price point is $30 less than a perfect process. It should be more like $100 less. Personally, I would pay $75 for something that looked better knowing it wouldn't be perfect. I would think you'd have a lot less complaints.At $75, your margins may be less but I bet volume would make up the difference. Just my $.02...
Old 05-05-2018, 12:04 AM
bstmusic
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I got climarepair. Very pleased.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:16 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,156 Likes on 3,924 Posts

Originally Posted by bstmusic
I got climarepair. Very pleased.
Really, you like that rough texture with the vertical lines on the TEMP toggle? Wait until the white shows through again on the top horizontal line of the first section where the top of the switch goes up behind the grey console panel after using the switch to raise the temp a few times.... Are these v1, v2, or v3?

Shift **** is very cool though and goes well with the interior leather color.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:52 AM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Really, you like that rough texture with the vertical lines on the TEMP toggle? Wait until the white shows through again on the top horizontal line of the first section where the top of the switch goes up behind the grey console panel after using the switch to raise the temp a few times.... Are these v1, v2, or v3?

Shift **** is very cool though and goes well with the interior leather color.
That stopped happening since late V2’s, we are selling V4... it’s come a long way since then.

But hey, you can judge a 2015 Focus because your grandpa once owned a Ford-T

best regards
Old 05-08-2018, 09:12 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,156 Likes on 3,924 Posts

Originally Posted by Climarepair.com

That stopped happening since late V2’s, we are selling V4... it’s come a long way since then.

best regards
My comment was based on the photo uploaded by bstmusic of his car where he said he was happy with them. Don't know what version those are, but not a high enough one IMO. Using your ridiculous analogy it's like saying that Porsche is owned by VW so driving that new GTI is just like a GT3RS.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:22 AM
mbatarga
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts

So they are now on V4? Maybe V2001 from Climarepair will match MA Carbon quality?
Old 05-08-2018, 11:46 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Climarepair.com

best regards
I'm sorry, but if you are on your 4th version in a year, you need to get your shiznit together before you start selling to the public. This isn't software, we aren't going to be your beta testers. And the model T is not v1 of the Focus. V4 of the model T is still the model T.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:51 PM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by sailorlite
I cleaned up the sticky radio ***** with rubbing alcohol and a rag, but this method does not seem to work with the Fan and Temp switches. I managed to remove some of their black paint but they're still gummy. I'm thinking maybe I could recoat them with a good black paint even though they're already beyond a really tidy repair.

Can these switches be removed from the panel and replaced? Any good suggestions for de-gumming these two switches?
I have some similar experiences and sentiments as the others in this thread. I bought the Climarepair versions about a year ago for $100. I don't know what version they were. Others who also did may have noticed that these versions did not contain all of molded features of the OEM parts. There are small tangs on the back side which must be critical to reliable operation of the switch, because my fan button really would not raise and lower the speed. And I did install them correctly and carefully. I also was not impressed with the appearance - irregular and "cheap" looking.

So, I decided that I didn't need the TEMP and FAN lettering/symbol (it's pretty obvious what they do given that the LCD indicators are right next to them), so I refinished the OEM parts. Used some careful application of Oops solvent, sanded with 600 grit paper (including the grooves), and repainted with a good quality black spray suited for plastic. Reinstalled and they work like before (correctly). To me, there's too much text on the console of my car anyway, so I'm fine with deleting some. I can show pics if you like.

The guys at MacCarbon are fine and it looks like their product is nice, but I'm not going to pay $175 for ***** that do not make me go faster or corner better.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:51 PM
avonted
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve, I would love to see a picture. I've thought of this myself but struggled on how to retain those icons, Maybe you're right...not needed.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:25 AM
inject
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Less expensive switches

FYI, I ordered the buttons from Porsche Clima Repair and then discovered the buttons are on Rock Auto (ÜRO PARTS997653100KIT) for less than $60.00, I canceled the order within hours. The order was placed on 9/26/2020 and today 10/26/2020 it is still showing on my statement, after one week and communicating with Clima Repair I called my credit card company and they issued a credit to balance out the charge and I guess the charge will fall off someday. I did get the URO parts and they worked fine. I believe the company is in Spain but it is hard to tell. Following is the last email with the company and to date the charge is still on my Credit Card statement, it appears they marked the order refunded but never issued a refund through the credit card processor, we also have a web site and use bigcommerce as they do and changing the order status does not issue refunds:

<<John cobra

<<to me

<<Tue, Oct 6, 1:13 AM

<<Dear Ken,
<<Please, stop giving me extra work, please. We refunded your order already, See atttached screenshot. Stop, please.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:42 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Issues with our buddy in Spain? Good luck.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:29 PM
rickpriceuk
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

This is who I used - great kit, good price. UK based. Note spelling of web page:

https://www.climaterepair.co.uk/

Richard
Old 10-26-2020, 05:34 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Bamboozle in Spanish is "Embaucar"...

See also...

engañar, trampear, embaucar, burlar, estafar, timar

Old 10-26-2020, 07:50 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

As many Rennlist members know, climarepair switches were not close to perfect when we first launch them a few years ago. We refunded many, many customers and sent new versions for free to many, many others. Hundreds of Rennlist members can verify this (hundreds!).

Climarepair V4 (released about 2017)
Name:  tpfobsH.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  982.5 KB

Not happy with this, we decided to make the extra effort/do the right thing and invested in the company, in research, and about two years ago we released climarepair revolution, a perfect product that made everybody happy:

Climarepair Revolution (released about 2018) vs. V4
Name:  yu1gjvI.jpg
Size:  178.4 KB

Climarepair Revolution
Name:  WbvDQDu.jpg
Size:  1.03 MB

Climarepair Revolution is an awesome product.

On the other hand, we are based in Europe. European customers were happy with delivery times but US customers suffered some delays due to some external factors we couldn't control (basically international agreements between USPS and several logistic providers we used to work with). COVID didn't help either, so a few months ago we signed in an agreement with DHL so US customers could receive their switches within 2 days (+ 3 days rest of the world except for Oceania, which takes 4-5 days). We decided to offer DHL to improve in customer service.

On the other hand, user inject (which -oh surprise!- was created today, and which -oh suprise!- only has 1 message history) is talking about a supposed bad experience with climarepair, and is advising Rennlist members to buy in another shop which -oh surprise!- just started selling switches too. I think Rennlist members are clever enough to realize whats really going on.

Best regards,
John

Old 10-26-2020, 07:51 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

I would also like to announce today we released a new version of our web site, we invite you to visit it:

www.climarepair.com

Best regards,
John

Quick Reply: Gummy HVAC switches - good repair?