Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake bias

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 11:00 AM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

What makes you think the 997 is underbraked?
Old 05-01-2018, 11:13 AM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

This thread should have been over by post #4
Old 05-01-2018, 11:22 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by swoardrider
Half the time I wonder what's going on in Stuttgart. They are all over the map with their brakes systems over the last 15 years on a car design that hasn't changed that much. The only constant has been the fact that their brake systems have continuously gotten larger in diameter, especially in the rears. Which proves 2 things to me. 997's are under braked for their performance level (350/350mm should be on all base 911's, not 330/330, IMO). Rear brakes do a lot more work in a 911 than any other car design due to all that weight in front of the rear axle, and should be doing more work, especially because their is not a lot of weight on the front axle of a 911.

Their Motorsports division got it right. 380/380mm iron brakes that fit under 18" wheels.
Interesting, but quite a few assumptions under there. First, when Porsche made their brakes "bigger" did anyone do an analysis that they were "better" and in what way? Porsche makes consumer products.... the marketers drive the car, not the engineers... get over it, accept it. Did anyone measure the pressure pads apply per square inch to a rotor given an input of brake pedal? Maybe Porsche made bigger brakes but lightened the pressure? What I am getting at, is that consumer want to see "bigger" brakes. They want to see "bigger" wheels... I wonder what percentage of these cars are pure marketing and they are pulling the wool over our eyes. No, I am not saying Porsche makes a car with a screaming chicken on the hood with blocked off fake vents..... but I always look at their new feature or whatever with a bit of caution before I say "I gotta have that!".

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-01-2018, 12:09 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Half the time I wonder what's going on in Stuttgart. They are all over the map with their brakes systems over the last 15 years on a car design that hasn't changed that much. The only constant has been the fact that their brake systems have continuously gotten larger in diameter, especially in the rears. Which proves 2 things to me. 997's are under braked for their performance level (350/350mm should be on all base 911's, not 330/330, IMO). Rear brakes do a lot more work in a 911 than any other car design due to all that weight in front of the rear axle, and should be doing more work, especially because their is not a lot of weight on the front axle of a 911.

Their Motorsports division got it right. 380/380mm iron brakes that fit under 18" wheels.
Thumbs up for your contribution, not like some others with no contribution other than kept trolling along...
My observation is that Porsche increases their rear rotor size throughout the generations to tame the rear heavy design. The front brakes having a tendency to lockup is very obvious due to the lighter front end. I've confirmed this in a followup parking lot test and was very aware that the ABS pumping activation on the front only. Perhaps with the capability of the ABS, that will take care of any lockups, brake bias is not a concern as in the old days. I brought this subject up not as any concern of Porsches' brake design, or doubtful of their engineering aptness, but as an observation of its brake bias. Surely more than adequate for normal street usage, but it is evident when it comes to track/racing, which does not apply to me, that the brakes bias are very different from our stock cars.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:41 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Which car are you talking about? Because "all that weight" on a 911 is behind the rear axle. Even seem to recall something about the 911 being rear engine. But so much social upheaval these days, 57 different genders, maybe rear is the new front?

Dunno. Pretty sure though that when the car is moving fast and you brake hard then a lot of that weight, regardless of where it was to begin with, shifts forward so that the front tires now have huge weight pressing down on the road enabling them to brake harder. Which only works if the brakes at that end are powerful enough to exploit all that pressure. So they make them bigger. And as tires and suspension continue to improve, guess what? Bigger brakes. Pretty hard to see how they have been "all over the map." What I see is 60 years of continual gradual improvement.

Then there's another old-school thing called a traction circle. Friction circle. Or maybe that's changed too. But back when rear meant behind the friction circle was a way of visualizing that tires only have so much traction to go around. Get it? Around! Basically, you can brake at 1g, or corner at 1g, but not brake and corner at 1g at the same time.

Get it?

So they have to balance all these things. Sure they could add more rear brake. Did you not read my post above? No brake changes necessary! Simply swap out a valve. You can dial in as much rear brake as you want. People do it all the time. It will NOT overtax the rears because you never can use much rear brake because.... but I just explained all that.

Please try and understand, because until you do you will continue to draw all the wrong conclusions.

For example, about the 997. A lot more changed between the 997 and the 991 than brakes. Whole new suspension geometry. Increased wheelbase. Larger diameter tires. Every single one of these things improved the ability of the rear tires to handle both braking and cornering simultaneously. Made the friction circle bigger, so to speak. So of course they could then use more brake. Because the car was better able to use it. Not because they just decided it would be fun to put puny brakes on the 997.

So now you no longer have to wonder what's going on at Stuttgart. Its called engineering.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:22 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by chuck911
Which car are you talking about? Because "all that weight" on a 911 is behind the rear axle. Even seem to recall something about the 911 being rear engine. But so much social upheaval these days, 57 different genders, maybe rear is the new front?

Dunno. Pretty sure though that when the car is moving fast and you brake hard then a lot of that weight, regardless of where it was to begin with, shifts forward so that the front tires now have huge weight pressing down on the road enabling them to brake harder. Which only works if the brakes at that end are powerful enough to exploit all that pressure. So they make them bigger. And as tires and suspension continue to improve, guess what? Bigger brakes. Pretty hard to see how they have been "all over the map." What I see is 60 years of continual gradual improvement.

Then there's another old-school thing called a traction circle. Friction circle. Or maybe that's changed too. But back when rear meant behind the friction circle was a way of visualizing that tires only have so much traction to go around. Get it? Around! Basically, you can brake at 1g, or corner at 1g, but not brake and corner at 1g at the same time.

Get it?

So they have to balance all these things. Sure they could add more rear brake. Did you not read my post above? No brake changes necessary! Simply swap out a valve. You can dial in as much rear brake as you want. People do it all the time. It will NOT overtax the rears because you never can use much rear brake because.... but I just explained all that.

Please try and understand, because until you do you will continue to draw all the wrong conclusions.

For example, about the 997. A lot more changed between the 997 and the 991 than brakes. Whole new suspension geometry. Increased wheelbase. Larger diameter tires. Every single one of these things improved the ability of the rear tires to handle both braking and cornering simultaneously. Made the friction circle bigger, so to speak. So of course they could then use more brake. Because the car was better able to use it. Not because they just decided it would be fun to put puny brakes on the 997.

So now you no longer have to wonder what's going on at Stuttgart. Its called engineering.

Very good post.

Some of these posts boggle my mind. Like I said this thread was done with its value at post #4.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:27 PM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

997.1 GT3 cars were notorious for burning up rear brakes. Sometimes twice as fast as the fronts. So do I feel that RWD 997's are under braked, especially in the rear on the track? Yes that's my opinion, which I've concluded based on how my car brakes, my own personal research, and my conclusions from what Stuttgart has been doing over the years. IMO, the 991 isn't drastically different than the 997, yet the 991 brakes keep getting bigger, and it's not marketing. Stopping distance tests don't lie.

Unlike most in this thread, I will be doing something about my brakes in the near future to remedy them, as they are not up to my standards. RB's 394/390mm 6 piston/4 piston CCM kit will most likely be going on the car, funds providing. That will really fix the bias issue.

Could I mix pad compounds to change brake bias? Sure,I could run a more aggressive rear pad. But that would introduce even more heat into an already thermally inadequate System.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:48 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

997.1 GT3 cars were notorious for burning up rear brakes. Sometimes twice as fast as the fronts. So do I feel that RWD 997's are under braked, especially in the rear on the track? Yes that's my opinion, which I've concluded based on how my car brakes, my own personal research, and my conclusions from what Stuttgart has been doing over the years. IMO, the 991 isn't drastically different than the 997, yet the 991 brakes keep getting bigger, and it's not marketing. Stopping distance tests don't lie.

Unlike most in this thread, I will be doing something about my brakes in the near future to remedy them, as they are not up to my standards. RB's 394/390mm 6 piston/4 piston CCM kit will most likely be going on the car, funds providing. That will really fix the bias issue.

What you are saying is not supported at all by your argument though. The porsche 991 uses 340mm/330mm discs. The 991S uses 350mm/330mm. The 997 uses 318mm/299mm. The 997S uses 330mm/330mm.

In other words, there is no drastic change to increasing rear brake size on the 991 as compared to the 997 like you say. Like Chuck said, they are increasing the brake performance because the cars are getting both faster and having more grip. These are the reasons you need to increase brake performance. If you're brakes are not working for you because you are tracking than its likely because you have also increased your speed compared to the average driver and increased your grip. So you need better brake capacity (whether it be through pad, fluid, or rotor size upgrades).

If you want to increase your rear bias, just change your pad compounds. Easy peasy.

I would NOT recommend the OP go trying to change his brake bias. I mean no disrespect at all but if he doesnt know if the ABS is working from one run to the other than you DO NOT want to go messing with brake bias. Thats not the level of experience a person should have who should be messing with brake bias. You're going to shoot your eye out.

Mike
Old 05-01-2018, 04:55 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,141 Likes on 3,914 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
You're going to shoot your eye out.

Mike
Classic
Old 05-01-2018, 05:22 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

For what it's worth the 997 i don't think is underBRAKED but I definitely think it is underCOOLED at the brakes. Maybe the base carrera is fine but the GTS has the same brakes as the 997.1 S with an extra 50+ hp.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:40 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by cosm3os
What makes you think the 997 is underbraked?

Recently in this forum we are seeing people convinced that they can do better than Weissach. Let them!
Old 05-01-2018, 10:45 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Could I mix pad compounds to change brake bias? Sure,I could run a more aggressive rear pad. But that would introduce even more heat into an already thermally inadequate System.
By golly, I think you got it! Porsche really did put inexcusably puny brakes on the worlds best track car. A car with some of the most highly regarded braking in the world. Which hypnotizes even owners into not noticing. So that only you among all the worlds reviewers, drivers and owners has been able to figure this out.

That must be it! Like you said, they are not up to your standards. Have you thought of writing Porsche about a position?

One bit of advice first though. Changing brakes will not change the front rear brake bias. Third time saying this, don't strike out: brake bias is controlled by a proportioning valve. You want to change the bias, you change the valve. Even if you don't believe this and are determined to install bigger rear brakes, you will still need the proportioning valve. Need it even more in fact. Because you will now have rear brakes out of balance with the fronts. You will need some way of tuning that balance. That way is called a proportioning valve.

Plus you can include the experience in your cover letter along with your resume to Porsche.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:49 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

By golly, I think you got it! Porsche really did put inexcusably puny brakes on the worlds best track car. A car with some of the most highly regarded braking in the world. Which hypnotizes even owners into not noticing. So that only you among all the worlds reviewers, drivers and owners has been able to figure this out.

That must be it! Like you said, they are not up to your standards. Have you thought of writing Porsche about a position?

One bit of advice first though. Changing brakes will not change the front rear brake bias. Third time saying this, don't strike out: brake bias is controlled by a proportioning valve. You want to change the bias, you change the valve. Even if you don't believe this and are determined to install bigger rear brakes, you will still need the proportioning valve. Need it even more in fact. Because you will now have rear brakes out of balance with the fronts. You will need some way of tuning that balance. That way is called a proportioning valve.

Plus you can include the experience in your cover letter along with your resume to Porsche.
A couple things. You contradict yourself here.

Secondly, Porsche themselves admitted the rear brakes on the 997.1 were not optimized correctly. The 997.2 GT3 has rear cooling ducts added where the 997.1 did not and the 997.2 PSM was revised to correct for this.
I'm not sure you know what you're talking about.

Last edited by nwGTS; 05-02-2018 at 02:32 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:55 AM
bhvrdr
Pro

Originally Posted by nwGTS
A couple things. You contradict yourself here.

Secondly, Porsche themselves admitted the rear brakes on the 997.1 were not optimized correctly. The 997.2 GT3 has rear cooling ducts added where the 997.1 did not and the 997.2 PSM was revised to correct for this.
I'm not sure you know what you're talking about.
not only that but does the 997 still have an old school proportioning valve? Genuinely curious as most road cars with advanced stability management have gone electronic brake distrubution.

mike
Old 05-02-2018, 01:12 PM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

For a guy with 5k posts, you definitely take Rennlist's "troll of the year award". 🏆 Seems like over half your posts are nothing constructive, just sarcasm.

Try doing some research before you say erroneous bull**** ( nonetheless 3 times). http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...alance-matters

Look at the first thing on the chart below that dictates a change in bias. If you do more research, most, if not all brake companies DO NOT recommend changing the proportioning valve on a car that sees any streets. Manual proportioning valves, dual master cylinders, etc are for race cars.

So what influences brake bias?
If we look at the equations we have developed, we see that all of the following factors will affect the weight on an axle for any given moment in time:

· Weight distribution of the vehicle at rest
· CG height – the higher it is, the more weight gets transferred during a stop
· Wheelbase – the shorter it is, the more weight gets transferred during a stop

We also know from fundamental brake design that the following factors will affect how much brake torque is developed at each corner of the vehicle, and how much of that torque is transferred to the tire contact patch and reacted against the ground:

· Rotor effective diameter
· Caliper piston diameter
· Lining friction coefficients
· Tire traction coefficient properties

It is the combination of these two functions – braking force at the tire versus weight on that tire – that determine our braking bias. Changing the CG height, wheelbase, or deceleration level will dictate a different force distribution, or bias, requirement for our brake system. Conversely, changing the effectiveness of the front brake components without changing the rear brake effectiveness can also cause our brake bias to change. The following table summarizes how common modifications will swing bias all over the map.

Quick Reply: Brake bias