Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche vehicle histories - repairs/hacked ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 11:06 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Porsche vehicle histories - repairs/hacked ?

Are Porsche service records accessible to Porsche mechanics working in Porsche dealerships ? Could a Porsche dealer in Dallas access repair and maintenance records from a Porsche dealer in Miami or Los Angeles by using the VIN?

Anywhere there is a grift worth doing it seems that people will take advantage of that possibility. Can (or has) a Porsche had its onboard database manipulated or replaced with better data - such as an over rev report with 4s, 5s and 6s? Most would consider that car unworthy for purchase. Depending on the vehicle, there's tens of thousands to be made by hacking the data and replacing it with better data. At the end of the day, it's just data like any other data that's been hacked and forged.

Can the Porsche ECU be hacked ?
Old 04-29-2018, 11:11 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

the service dept have records of anything done in warranty, but if is a out of warranty repair at one dealer, they are the only ones that have that record
Old 04-30-2018, 09:11 AM
cool flash
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Meursault88
Yes, absolutely. As far as I know, the ECU needs to be physically opened and with a suitable chip tuning device, the corresponding bits and bytes get changed.

There are a couple of sellers on ebay Germany that offer this service for around 400 Euros (500 US$).

Opening the ECU may leave some detectable traces.

CF
Old 04-30-2018, 10:34 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The short answer is no.

I purchased my car from a Porsche dealer in NY. The car's original owner had recently transferred from CA. I had to contact the original dealer in CA to get the service history / records, the NY dealer did not have access.

Are Porsche service records accessible to Porsche mechanics working in Porsche dealerships ? Could a Porsche dealer in Dallas access repair and maintenance records from a Porsche dealer in Miami or Los Angeles by using the VIN?

Anywhere there is a grift worth doing it seems that people will take advantage of that possibility. Can (or has) a Porsche had its onboard database manipulated or replaced with better data - such as an over rev report with 4s, 5s and 6s? Most would consider that car unworthy for purchase. Depending on the vehicle, there's tens of thousands to be made by hacking the data and replacing it with better data. At the end of the day, it's just data like any other data that's been hacked and forged.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:09 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cool flash
Yes, absolutely. As far as I know, the ECU needs to be physically opened and with a suitable chip tuning device, the corresponding bits and bytes get changed.

There are a couple of sellers on ebay Germany that offer this service for around 400 Euros (500 US$).

Opening the ECU may leave some detectable traces.

CF
Inevitable and predictable. Would this be a crime in Germany? All of a sudden I feel like I am in Bladerunner when Deckard chastises Rachel.

"Implants. They are not your memories they belong to Tyrell's sixteen year old Porsche"
Old 04-30-2018, 12:14 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

There are not electronic components made by humans which cannot be compromised. Just for future reference, in case you're wondering if something can be hacked. It can. Is there some kind of limit on inane threads per user?
Old 04-30-2018, 01:05 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

"Is there some kind of limit on inane threads per user?"
Especially for one with April 2018 as a join date and whose topics are nothing but drivel!
There should be a limit to tolerance.

Trending Topics

Old 04-30-2018, 02:13 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fined
Is there some kind of limit on inane threads per user?
Is this you ? Are you being held against your will and being forced to read my posts ?

If so, please use morse code to blink out your GPS coordinates and we will send someone from the Avert League to rescue you.

They did wonders for a friend of mine who looked at the high beams of on coming cars just to anger himself into a rage.

After only six months in a Vienna clinic, he learned to look the other way and go on about his happy life.

Old 04-30-2018, 02:15 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ogun228
"Is there some kind of limit on inane threads per user?"
Especially for one with April 2018 as a join date and whose topics are nothing but drivel!
There should be a limit to tolerance.
And until today, I believed every snowflake was unique.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:37 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Is this you ? Are you being held against your will and being forced to read my posts?

Actually yes. I am being forced to read these posts. By the same individual who prevents you from being able to access google to answer every single question that pops into your head.

"Should I sit down to pee or....?" "Oh I know.. better ask rennlist"
Old 04-30-2018, 02:57 PM
rw229
Pro

OP, I think what is being said here is to search and read a little more and please stop streaming your conscious or maybe even unconscious thoughts to the forum. If you have a legit question that can't be found via search then go for it, but as of now it's been a bit much.

I'm pretty sure everyone here wants you to find the right car, but some of it you're just going to have to figure out on your own.

Originally Posted by Fined
Actually yes. I am being forced to read these posts. By the same individual who prevents you from being able to access google to answer every single question that pops into your head.

"Should I sit down to pee or....?" "Oh I know.. better ask rennlist"
Old 04-30-2018, 06:01 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Fair enough. But a search of this term with the quotes "ECU hacked" yields 5 threads (now including this one - 4 when I looked) and zero information. A google search with the term and porsche and 911 yields nothing that helped. I did both of those before posting here.

Nearly everyone will express that a PPI and over rev report are critical before purchasing a 911. The standard PPI (from what I can tell) will not include a leak down and/or boroscope - important when looking at .1s - and if an ECU can be hacked, it will be especially if it's preventing a car being sold for $20k more than it should be or sold at all.

So there's me, a few others on here looking to buy a 997, and depending on the person, that's a couple of months income or up to an entire year or more of take home pay. Spending a few weeks or months in preventing a $20k mistake on a $50k car is time well spent.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:22 PM
rw229
Pro

You've missed the obvious answer in your own research.

These cars are up to ~13 years old and there are hundreds of years of experience / some very knowledgeable people on these forums. Don't you think if it was a thing, there would be many, many posts on the subject?

It's not so there isn't.

Fair enough. But a search of this term with the quotes "ECU hacked" yields 5 threads (now including this one - 4 when I looked) and zero information. A google search with the term and porsche and 911 yields nothing that helped. I did both of those before posting here.

Nearly everyone will express that a PPI and over rev report are critical before purchasing a 911. The standard PPI (from what I can tell) will not include a leak down and/or boroscope - important when looking at .1s - and if an ECU can be hacked, it will be especially if it's preventing a car being sold for $20k more than it should be or sold at all.

So there's me, a few others on here looking to buy a 997, and depending on the person, that's a couple of months income or up to an entire year or more of take home pay. Spending a few weeks or months in preventing a $20k mistake on a $50k car is time well spent.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:53 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

I think.... If the data is somehow changed its alteration will be detectable by Porsche/PIWIS as I’m sure Porsche uses a secret checksum in the data fields.
That’s for manipulating a Porsche vehicles ECU.
As for somebody hacking into the Porsche “database” so they could rollback numbers for a used car, the above applies, but it’s a ridiculous premise imo.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:38 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

This has been discussed before.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...e-records.html

Porsche wouldn't do something that obvious. You do have to worry about other shady stuff that Porsche might try and pull off though. My friend just won his lawsuit against Porsche. He bought a CPO 991 cab here in SoCal from a Porsche dealership. Everything was fine until he brought it in for service. When they removed the rear bumper, their service advisor noted that there was damaged to the bumper beam and other components behind the bumper. Long story short, the car should have never been CPO'd in the first place. He received a nice settlement and is meticulously looking for another white 991 Cab.

Quick Reply: Porsche vehicle histories - repairs/hacked ?