Sponsored by:

Finally found “the one”

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 08:08 AM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Finally found “the one”

After selling my 996 in november, and regretting every day since, i have been on the hunt for a 997. I looked at a few sad cars, and anything that was close,to decent sold fast or was generously over priced. I was able to find this C2S semi local (6hrs), and brought it home last night. Fortunatley there is nothing to be “fixed” (well just the stupid sticky climate switches), so i can jump right in. I will be doing some minor personal changes. I am looking for your thoughts....
1- need to lose the 4x4 suspension, so i will go with h&r springs due to the pasm. Possibly shell out the big money for the bilstiens if i want to go lower later. I had eibach on my 996 and ended up going coilover just to get it a bit lower.

2- wheels will be swapped out to 20” because i tjink the wheel arches are perfectly sized and look great with 20”. Sucky part is the brand new sport cups that were just put on these 19” wheels. May sell the package to offset new wheel cost. What do these wheels sll for?

3- it definitely needs more sound. Open to opinions here, fister, gundo, aftermarket exhaust?

4- car has sport chrono, no idea how to work it. Its not lit up (even with lights on), normis there anything on its digital display. Broken? Or just user error?

Old 04-28-2018, 08:10 AM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Rennlist Member

Oh ya...forgot a pic! 😂

Old 04-28-2018, 08:29 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 994 Likes on 528 Posts

One thing to consider with 20" wheels is that you open yourself to the possibility of damage from rough roads and potholes. The larger the rim, the less protective rubber. Also, many aftermarket wheels tend not to be as strong as the Porsche OEM wheels. They may be lighter, but not as durable.

Tires are going to be more expensive and if handling is a concern, you need to consider wheels, tires, and suspension as a team.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:32 AM
ronvanr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

One of my favorite upgrades was to replace the security lug bot with a regular lug bolt so I don't have to dig out that adapter each time I want to take a wheel off.

Car looks great, enjoy!
Old 04-28-2018, 08:37 AM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marv
One thing to consider with 20" wheels is that you open yourself to the possibility of damage from rough roads and potholes. The larger the rim, the less protective rubber. Also, many aftermarket wheels tend not to be as strong as the Porsche OEM wheels. They may be lighter, but not as durable.

Tires are going to be more expensive and if handling is a concern, you need to consider wheels, tires, and suspension as a team.
roads in florida are prety good, and rarely see a pot hole. The car is a weekend fun car, so not concerned with tire cost, as they will last forever
Old 04-28-2018, 08:50 AM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Hazeltine

roads in florida are prety good, and rarely see a pot hole. The car is a weekend fun car, so not concerned with tire cost, as they will last forever
Hopefully, you don't mean forever. Tires should be replaced every 7 years or so.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:57 AM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by billh1963
Hopefully, you don't mean forever. Tires should be replaced every 7 years or so.
😂 no not literally forever 🙄
Old 04-28-2018, 09:05 AM
GTS Sully
Pro

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts

That car looks great as is. Drop the suspension just a tad with some H&R's or Eibach's and you're all set. 20" wheels on a 997 is like oil and water, imo.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:26 AM
rwdds
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

I have your twin up in Philly. Great car and the Meteor Grey is beautiful and never shows dirt, unless you are 2 feet away. It's funny, I think the Carrera Sport 19's you have are the nicest OEM wheels for our color. They just look right. I don't really like my lobster forks and am considering a set of BBS-CHR's. Clear markers and a little more tint?
Old 04-28-2018, 10:33 AM
rwdds
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

... and the Chrono is activated using the lower left stalk and is basically a useless stopwatch, unless you are timing laps at the track. However, once turned on, the throttle mapping and response curve improves, exactly like pressing the "Sport" mode button. That's a lot of fun.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:02 AM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 245 Posts

nice Car

enjoy it

I enjoy taking my car to the Ocala Forrest - as a matter f fact heading out around 11 am to enjoy the great weather
Old 04-28-2018, 11:42 AM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Finally!! Congratulations and I know the feeling of finding 'the one" after relentless months of exhaustive shopping. She looks great!

Speaking of, I'm going with Eibach next week since the HQ is about an hour and a half away.

I would be interested in your Carrera Sport Rad wheels when you decide to part ways with them.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:53 AM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rwdds
I have your twin up in Philly. Great car and the Meteor Grey is beautiful and never shows dirt, unless you are 2 feet away. It's funny, I think the Carrera Sport 19's you have are the nicest OEM wheels for our color. They just look right. I don't really like my lobster forks and am considering a set of BBS-CHR's. Clear markers and a little more tint?
Tint and the clear markers are first on the list, and wil likely be done this week just to make it drivable
i am trying to talk myself into staying 19, as it would save $$ and get to keep these like new sport cups. I wont make that decision final until the altitude is right
Old 04-28-2018, 12:21 PM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Öl und wasser (a.k.a. OZ Ultraleggera 20x8.5et55 and 20x11et67)

Last edited by j beede; 04-28-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:46 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

Congrats and welcome!

Those Carrera Sports are my fav. I wouldn't swap those. They are epic.

I have Eibachs and they transform the look of the car. They arent slammed like H&Rs and I rarely scrape, despite a pretty nasty driveway. 15mm spacers on the rear are perfect and I would recommend the same on the front. I put 7mm spacers and I think they are still too tucked in.

Fisters are all you need on the 997.1. They sound glorious.

As for other mods, if you dont have hands free and streaming music, search the thread called "LaPower bluetooth". Its $150 and the best priced bluetooth module to integrate into factory PCM controls. Get the AC ***** from MACarbon. The climarepair ones are ****. If your soft touch on the center console is all scratched up you can DIY respray it or buy a new one for $650.

Quick Reply: Finally found “the one”