Sponsored by:

So I have a Tire Question - date code related

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 01:26 AM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 245 Posts
Default So I have a Tire Question - date code related

If you have any concerns you can always contact me with them. Also keep in mind that those tires do come with a 5 year manufacturers warranty for any tire defects and that starts the day the tires were purchased and also have 2 years of road hazard warranty as well which will replace and tire puncture or blow out.

===================
I do understand you frustration with the tires and I have been in contact with my parts department, Dealer Tire and PCNA in regards to tire age. I am being told that tires from 2015 are still a normal tire to be received from Porsche, including on new vehicles. I am told that due to the proper storage of the tires by Porsche, there is no issue with tire ages until they are mounted and in use. The tires that were installed were ordered for you vehicle specifically and arrived just a couple of days prior to service.

This is from Dealer Tire which supplies the tires for Porsche:
2015 is the oldest tire we can sell to Porsche dealers. That still gives 3 years of time at minimum. This age is approved by PCNA.
It’s also important to remember that our tires are kept in the proper storage environment before they are shipped to the dealer and then installed.

I am continuing to research this more and hope to have more answers for you soon.

============================================
when you buy a new set of tires for your 911 do you expect the tires to be new

meaning a reasonable date code / some what recent production and a few month old

or does it not matter

reason I ask is that I just got a new set of tires for my car

I did not think of it much but after my drive on Saturday I noticed on my walk around and inspection that the

front tires have a date code of the of week 43 / year 15 - rears are week 07 / year 16

I was kind of surprised

I have owned many cars over the years that needed new tires at one point - however I have never seen in my point of view such old date codes on them

as a matter of fact my SUV just got 4 new tires in March and they are from 2017

so I am just wondering if you would address this with the Dealer (I got them from a Porsche Dealer and they installed them) or not worry about it

any feedback would be appreciated

thank you

Last edited by Louis de Funes; 04-24-2018 at 04:38 PM. Reason: update - update 2
Old 04-23-2018, 06:09 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

They look pretty old to me for "new" tires...
But of course it depends on how and how much you drive your car.
For example if you drive 10k miles per year in a spirited fashion then your tires will be toast in 1 - 1,5 year anyway, so their age doesn't really matter.
If you drive 3k careful miles per year, your tires may last 5 years, but by then will be close to 8 years old...

Fyi my new PS4s (delivered last month) were manufactured end of '16 (front) and end of '17 (rear)...
Old 04-23-2018, 02:31 PM
matt997
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

If I was buying new tires and received 'new' rubber that was over 2 years old I'd push back. I just got new PS4S from Tirerack a couple weeks ago and the fronts we 4117 date code and the rears were 0318 date codes.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:49 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

I checked my notes, and for our cars, the average date of manufacture lags behind installation by six months on average. Some more, some less. All were purchased from Tire Rack within past 2 years, drop shipped to & installed by Boardwalk Ferrari. Apart from wife's car, all are Michelin; her Benz runs on Pirelli.

As suggested above, anything more than six months seems too much, and I would squawk.

T
Old 04-23-2018, 04:36 PM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

thanks for the feedback

will see how they will respond to this
Old 04-23-2018, 04:50 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

I expect date codes to be within 6-9months from installation.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:15 PM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

posted an update in the OP
Old 04-24-2018, 03:31 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

to add to this,

A lot of folks have these cars as 2nd cars (or 3rd or whatever) and do not put a ton of miles on. Lets say you put on 5K miles a year. You're buying the tires just as much for the TIME of their service life then... not just the MILEAGE of their service life like lots of folks who pack miles on their cars.

So lets say the service life of the tire is generally around 6 years or so (as recommended by a few manufacturers such as MB and Nissan).

If you have a tire that is already 2.5 years old, you have half of its service life already used. Its like buying a PS4S with 12K miles on it already.

Mike
Old 04-24-2018, 03:41 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

its buyer be ware. I buy a set from web tire store, if i dont like the date i send them back. l buy a set at any dealer, i look at the date, if I dont like it , I dont buy them and go somewhere else. Just because you trust a store, porsche or not, you dont have to buy from them but dont wait untill the tire is on your car to look at the date
Old 04-24-2018, 03:51 PM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by okbarnett
its buyer be ware. I buy a set from web tire store, if i dont like the date i send them back. l buy a set at any dealer, i look at the date, if I dont like it , I dont buy them and go somewhere else. Just because you trust a store, porsche or not, you dont have to buy from them but dont wait untill the tire is on your car to look at the date

yes you are correct that was my mistake and I was to trusting and did not really think that this would be the case

Old 04-24-2018, 03:53 PM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
to add to this,

A lot of folks have these cars as 2nd cars (or 3rd or whatever) and do not put a ton of miles on. Lets say you put on 5K miles a year. You're buying the tires just as much for the TIME of their service life then... not just the MILEAGE of their service life like lots of folks who pack miles on their cars.

So lets say the service life of the tire is generally around 6 years or so (as recommended by a few manufacturers such as MB and Nissan).

If you have a tire that is already 2.5 years old, you have half of its service life already used. Its like buying a PS4S with 12K miles on it already.

Mike

that was my concern this this is my weekend fun car

5k to 6k miles now since in Florida

before that I put may be 2k on when I lived in Missouri

so lesson learned
Old 04-24-2018, 03:56 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis de Funes
yes you are correct that was my mistake and I was to trusting and did not really think that this would be the case

I disagree and dont beat yourself up over it. Who the hell looks at the date codes on the tires before they are mounted on the car??? The dealership has your car in back on a hoist. You ask for them to bring you the 4 tires from out back up to you to inspect? Come on now. You got the tires and you noticed they were old and you told you didnt like it. I assume you havent noticed this now 2 years later and after putting 20K miles on them?

BTW, I'm in S Florida too so just post the dealership's name here. Be happy to let forums and associates know not to buy any tires from them.... or anything else... like... cars.

Mike
Old 04-24-2018, 04:05 PM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
I disagree and dont beat yourself up over it. Who the hell looks at the date codes on the tires before they are mounted on the car??? The dealership has your car in back on a hoist. You ask for them to bring you the 4 tires from out back up to you to inspect? Come on now. You got the tires and you noticed they were old and you told you didnt like it. I assume you havent noticed this now 2 years later and after putting 20K miles on them?

BTW, I'm in S Florida too so just post the dealership's name here. Be happy to let forums and associates know not to buy any tires from them.... or anything else... like... cars.

Mike
Well, I do. Tires are a major consumable and central to a P-car's mission. Admittedly, I wouldn't even think about it on my 4 runner, mini or acura...but mah P-car gets the good stuff.

As a side note, who gets tires from the dealer? You guys must be rich or something.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:12 PM
MNC-I
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my two cents.

I've had great success with Sumitomo HTR II or IIIs, but Tire Rack had a super great deal on Kumho Ecsta PS91s so I purchased a set for my 2000 Millennium Edition 911.
After I ordered the set I spoke with a guy at TireRack and discovered they were getting rid of selective sets of tires that were aged. (As of today, I have yet to mount the new tires).

Since I don't track or do any aggressive stuff, I am good with some aged tires. Honestly I could not resist the super cheap price (much cheaper than the Sumitomos)
Now I am very cognizant of the fact that you sometimes get what you pay for.

I am ready to rid my self of the Michelin Pilot Super Sports that are on the car right now. I don't have confidence in the inflatable spare. And I don't want to invest in a slime/puncture repair kit.
MNC-I
Old 04-24-2018, 04:29 PM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OnlineAlias
Well, I do. Tires are a major consumable and central to a P-car's mission. Admittedly, I wouldn't even think about it on my 4 runner, mini or acura...but mah P-car gets the good stuff.

As a side note, who gets tires from the dealer? You guys must be rich or something.

not rich - they gave me a good deal on the tires - total installed was $1212.76

Bridgestone RE050 - Front 235-35ZR19 (87Y) - 8.5x19 ET55 - $426 (2)
Bridgestone RE050 - Rear 305-30ZR19 (102Y) - 11.5x19 ET 67 - $572 (2)

Quick Reply: So I have a Tire Question - date code related