Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 - looking to buy

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 10:11 PM
jaday
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here’s my 2 cents... buy what you enjoy, and pay a fair price for it. If an option you want is “less desirable”, as long as it’s facored in at purchase, you won’t be impacted if you sell the car down the road. There are so many options available on these cars, just decide what you want and wait til you find it.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:18 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I found a good candidate but it had an accident and in the rear. Airbags weren't deployed but getting hit in the rear is a very bad thing for a rear engined car IMHO.

https://www.premiercars.com/vehicle-...4b8a3ef2815bd0

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...&partner=AMG_1
Old 04-21-2018, 11:26 PM
shrumdog
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Start driving some. Go poke around. Make a list of what you want. And then wait for it.

Generally:

09-12 premium over 05-08 (new engine design)

Coupe premium over a cab

Manual premium over a PDK

Obviously S is a premium

AWD seems to be a wash.
agree with above for price Canada. 997.1 c2s manual all day
Old 04-22-2018, 11:34 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

I may have missed it, but if it wasn't mentioned: a PDK is only available in the 997.2 (2009-2012) generation. Before that, you get the world-beating (just kidding) tiptronic transmission. You don't want that one! I have a PDK and a 6MT: both are very fun, just different.

Also, there is a 4/4S Premium, at least on the 997.2 (and definitely the 993) They are fairly rare (especially in a manual) and many people feel they are better looking. The non 4 models feel a little livelier and more traditional Porsche, IMO, and a lot more S models exist vs 4S models. I would think one would expect to pay an extra $3-5k for a 4S, all things being equal.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:39 PM
NC3Pedal
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6
It's just me and I'm not insecure that I have a base carrera. Really I'm not. Seriously.

But the whole base, should have had an S, the damn I need a GTS, wait that's not enough I need the turbo logic makes sense to me because I am a man. But unless you track it, any 911 is way too fast.

And if I'm not mistaken, in 2009 all the Carreras got the same big brakes as the turbos. The only option was carbon.
I have had both the "base" 997.1 Carrera Cab with the manual and currently a 997.2 Carrera GTS Cab also with a manual. Don't know how the Carrera ended up being tagged as a "base" car. To me a "base" car means some econobox with minimal equipment and no performance bits, basically an appliance to go from Point A to Point B. The Carrera is an outstanding car and I would still have it would it not have been that I was transferred to Miami from Raleigh and knowing the horrendous traffic jams/drivers, I traded for an Audi S 5 Cab with the dual clutch automatic. Now back up in Raleigh, I purchased the GTS after having owned a couple of Boxsters in the interim. Yes the GTS is a bit faster and maybe a bit more planted (stiffer springing?), but the "base" Carrera is no slouch and I always had a huge smile everytime I drove it. As to the IMS bearing issue, I have had 2 M97 engine Porsches and no issues. I think that driven frequently with frequent oil changes, the failure risk is probably acceptable.

Quick Reply: 997 - looking to buy