Sponsored by:

Walmart Rollback on Mobil 1 and rebate

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 06:06 PM
josserman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
What did they remove and why is it not as good?

Mike
zddp https://mobiloil.com/en/faq/ask-our-...rom-motor-oils
Old 06-18-2018, 07:32 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by josserman
Just as an FYI the M1 Euro 0w-40 is a Full Saps oil and not at all related to the oil you linked too. When they changed the packaging slightly youll see "FS" now on the label. It is a robust zddp oil. It does not meet GF-5 that requires reduced SAPS

That made me wonder why you guys posted you are using the Amsoil Improved Euro 5w-40. This is the improved version of the amsoil that reduced zddp (is now a mid saps product) instead of full saps. You have actually chosen a lower zddp oil than the cheap M1 or Castrol products. Then you also give up all the startup protection the 0w pouring and cold viscosity the M1 0w-40 had that the Amsoil 5w does not? Why are you guys not using the full SAPS amsoil classic then that has the zddp in it?

Mike

Last edited by bhvrdr; 06-18-2018 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:02 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

The 5W-40 AMSOIL I'm using is approved by Porsche for their A40 spec. I live in Texas; there's absolutely no concern here about cold flow of a 5W oil. If I lived in the Northeast or Canada I'd consider the 0W Full Saps product.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:08 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Originally Posted by swingwing
The 5W-40 AMSOIL I'm using is approved by Porsche for their A40 spec. I live in Texas; there's absolutely no concern here about cold flow of a 5W oil. If I lived in the Northeast or Canada I'd consider the 0W Full Saps product.
yeah i was just pointing out to josserman that it is not correct that zddp was reduced from m1 0w40. Its a full saps with 1100+ zinc. Oddly he then recommended the mid saps amsoil product with less protection. They do both still meet a40 so warranty requirements are met but if looking for a higher performance oil theres the m1 or the full saps amsoil

mike
Old 06-18-2018, 11:58 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

Mobil 1 lost the LL01 BMW spec with the new formulation. Not sure what they took out, as it is still VW502 and Porsche A40 certified.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:59 PM
swingwing
Pro

I’ll be doing a baseline oil analysis on this next oil change, and will be happy to email you a copy. This oil (product AFL) offers Improved Emission System protection, which means it’s easier on those expensive cats. It’s a great performer.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:57 AM
bhvrdr
Pro

Originally Posted by swingwing
I’ll be doing a baseline oil analysis on this next oil change, and will be happy to email you a copy. This oil (product AFL) offers Improved Emission System protection, which means it’s easier on those expensive cats. It’s a great performer.
neither of the amsoils are bmw ll01 approved. I agree not the important thing.

Yes the "improved" amsoil formula refers to the formulation being more gentle on newer emissions equipment which necessitates reducing zddp.... the protection packages in our engines. It is a less robust oil then their full saps and classic. Its the opposite of what was reported to be formulated into the joe gibbs dt40.. a specifically high zinc formula

mike
Old 06-19-2018, 08:08 AM
josserman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i was just pointing out to josserman that it is not correct that zddp was reduced from m1 0w40. Its a full saps with 1100+ zinc. Oddly he then recommended the mid saps amsoil product with less protection. They do both still meet a40 so warranty requirements are met but if looking for a higher performance oil theres the m1 or the full saps amsoil

mike
truth be told, I haven’t even looked into changing oil in 911 yet, still only have put a few thousand miles on. I used to run m1 in my s2000, then as a street car when they changed formulas I moved to the amsoil euro blend, but now run amsoil race oil in it. Car has 200+ hours of racing, has had FI 80% of its like at 400+whp, 110k miles, and engine is running incredibly strong.

coming from an e9x m w s65 I was forced to used a 10 60 which almost no one makes, so haven’t looked into street car oil lately. My truck I just put m1 as it has a Chevy 8.1 and I’m certain m1 is more then fine for it.

I appreciate this information, and seems like I need to review a few things before I do change the oil.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:18 AM
bhvrdr
Pro

Originally Posted by josserman

truth be told, I haven’t even looked into changing oil in 911 yet, still only have put a few thousand miles on. I used to run m1 in my s2000, then as a street car when they changed formulas I moved to the amsoil euro blend, but now run amsoil race oil in it. Car has 200+ hours of racing, has had FI 80% of its like at 400+whp, 110k miles, and engine is running incredibly strong.

coming from an e9x m w s65 I was forced to used a 10 60 which almost no one makes, so haven’t looked into street car oil lately. My truck I just put m1 as it has a Chevy 8.1 and I’m certain m1 is more then fine for it.

I appreciate this information, and seems like I need to review a few things before I do change the oil.

No worries. The oil rabbit hole is a deep one. Who knows what is really best anyways. I think i'm not going to spend more time worrying about it and do an A40 at ridiculously short intervals (yes and be wasteful) and not obsess about it. Probably going do do 4K OCI on a non tracked car.

Mike
Old 06-19-2018, 09:55 AM
swingwing
Pro

neither of the amsoils are bmw ll01 approved. I agree not the important thing.

Yes the "improved" amsoil formula refers to the formulation being more gentle on newer emissions equipment which necessitates reducing zddp.... the protection packages in our engines. It is a less robust oil then their full saps and classic. Its the opposite of what was reported to be formulated into the joe gibbs dt40.. a specifically high zinc formula

mike
Engine manufacturers set the specifications. AMSOIL AFL is every bit as good as the others (some of the properties are even better). Here's the product data bulletin. Interestingly enough, I'm unable to find one for DT40 at the company website drivenracing. I wonder why that is...
https://my.amsoil.com/Shared/Literat...aspx?docid=202

Last edited by swingwing; 06-19-2018 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Added wording.

Quick Reply: Walmart Rollback on Mobil 1 and rebate