Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I saw it happen in slow motion...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 12:03 AM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts
Default I saw it happen in slow motion...

Well, I can't seem to catch a break with my 997.1

First it was the ****-poor PPI, the leaky cardan shaft seal, then the transmission failure, and the engine re-seal (thankfully covered under warranty). Finally got the car back, all was great! ... for about 5 days, at which point I was on a road trip to Austin, pulled over to get some gas and noticed my rear bumper covered in oil droplets. It was trans oil and after towing it to the nearest dealer, turns out the new trans was filled through the wrong fill hole with too much gear oil, and the increased pressure in the system caused a half-axle seal to fail and spray oil everywhere. Great. Got it fixed - NOW all is well, right?

I went out to grab dinner with a buddy tonight - we were sitting outside right in front of my car. I noticed out of the corner of my eye a car was backing out from its spot... getting closer to mine, closer, closer... hey that's a little too close, WAIT NO!!! Ran right into my rear bumper, made an awful noise (everyone at the bar turned around. "That's not gonna be cheap!"). I ran out there. The other car's bumper was hanging off her car, and it appears as though the bumperette on my 997 suffered the majority of the damage and the rest was spared. There is a small chunk of the rear bumper that's chipped off and also a bunch of scratches. It could've been a lot worse.

And I LITERALLY just got done picking it up from the detail shop. Ridiculous.

Anyone know of any reputable body shops in the Houston area? I might as well get some door dings repaired as well.

Name:  uQCbMzA.png
Views: 8
Size:  777.3 KB

Name:  sBBgyJh.png
Size:  714.4 KB

Name:  c4pGW5g.png
Size:  722.0 KB
Old 04-12-2018, 12:40 AM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

not sure how hard the hit was but make sure you take the bumper off to check the crash bar. bumperette is attached onto the crash bar and that could be bent if hit hard enough
Old 04-12-2018, 01:45 AM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...I can feel your pain.

I was sitting at a stop light waiting for the green. There was an ancient (i.e.huge) Dodge Diplomat in front of me. The Dodge's back up lights inexplicably turn on. I remember thinking "you've got to be kidding". I had almost shifted into reverse when the Diplomat accelerated (backward) into my front end at its best speed. The driver never touched their brakes. My glasses stayed still as my face/head separated from them--think Road Runner/Wile E. Coyote--if you are old enough to know what that is.

The only good news is that I was not driving my 997 on this particular day. For some reason I took the PL510 which didn't really make me too much happier. The driver of the Chrysler couldn't understand what all the fuss was about (sigh). I hate it when that happens.

Surely your P-car situation can only improve moving forward!
Old 04-12-2018, 06:40 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

https://www.porschecollisioncenter.com

OP... Check the above.

Keep the faith. I've had several such incidents - hail storm, head butted a turkey buzzard with my windshield, someone rear ended me at a light (luckily low speed) - but your car can be fixed and enjoyed again.

T
Old 04-12-2018, 07:45 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,158 Likes on 3,924 Posts

Well, that sucks.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:48 AM
eddiek997
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slightly different scenario but do yourself a favor and read THIS POST - Someone elses observations after minor rear end hit
Old 04-12-2018, 10:00 AM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Old 04-12-2018, 10:57 AM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Thanks all for the advice, I will definitely have my shop check for any damage behind the bumper cover. It was a very low speed collision so I don't expect anything but after reading through those threads.... and knowing my luck with this car....

After looking at it just now in better light, there are a whole lot of scratches all the way across the driver's side of the rear bumper cover and there is also evidence of damage on driver's side muffler tips. I'm gonna take it to a body shop shortly.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:32 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,158 Likes on 3,924 Posts

Originally Posted by jeebus31
.. . there is also evidence of damage on driver's side muffler tips. I'm gonna take it to a body shop shortly.
if there is damage to the muffler tips, the entire exhaust needs to be inspected very carefully for bent or cracked headers, exhaust leaks, etc. The terrible noise you describe when it happened is likely more than just a bumper wart, though it could also have been from his car.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:07 PM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 245 Posts

that really sucks
Old 04-12-2018, 06:46 PM
KingPinLasVegas
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Go to the hospital with the "neck injury" that is just now beginning to really hurt. 2. Take money from 'neck injury" and trade in damaged unlucky car for 997.2 S. 3. Post photos of your new car and don't forget to swap out the ugly orange side markers for clear ones.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:41 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KingPinLasVegas
1. Go to the hospital with the "neck injury" that is just now beginning to really hurt. 2. Take money from 'neck injury" and trade in damaged unlucky car for 997.2 S. 3. Post photos of your new car and don't forget to swap out the ugly orange side markers for clear ones.

But I already have clear side markers on this one! And a daily-driven 997.2 just went for 54k + fees on BAT.... you 997.2 guys must be ecstatic if that's true market value.

Good news is the damage is only cosmetic. The nasty sound I heard was likely the other person's bumper tearing off. Price to repair is in line with what I expected. I'll drop it off next week and it'll take about a week to get fixed. Maybe this is the end of the bad luck?!
Old 04-12-2018, 11:11 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,426 Likes on 2,699 Posts

People are morons. They park by feel. Fortunately I have never parked my Porsche on the street. Garage or the like.

Sorry about your damage. I hope you got their information to pay for the repair.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:26 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hellen Keller on ludes should not drive. Sorry for the non-PC-quasi-Ridgemont High reference.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:21 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by jeebus31
Well, I can't seem to catch a break with my 997.1

First it was the ****-poor PPI, the leaky cardan shaft seal, then the transmission failure, and the engine re-seal (thankfully covered under warranty). Finally got the car back, all was great! ... for about 5 days, at which point I was on a road trip to Austin, pulled over to get some gas and noticed my rear bumper covered in oil droplets. It was trans oil and after towing it to the nearest dealer, turns out the new trans was filled through the wrong fill hole with too much gear oil, and the increased pressure in the system caused a half-axle seal to fail and spray oil everywhere. Great. Got it fixed - NOW all is well, right?

I went out to grab dinner with a buddy tonight - we were sitting outside right in front of my car. I noticed out of the corner of my eye a car was backing out from its spot... getting closer to mine, closer, closer... hey that's a little too close, WAIT NO!!! Ran right into my rear bumper, made an awful noise (everyone at the bar turned around. "That's not gonna be cheap!"). I ran out there. The other car's bumper was hanging off her car, and it appears as though the bumperette on my 997 suffered the majority of the damage and the rest was spared. There is a small chunk of the rear bumper that's chipped off and also a bunch of scratches. It could've been a lot worse.

And I LITERALLY just got done picking it up from the detail shop. Ridiculous.

Anyone know of any reputable body shops in the Houston area? I might as well get some door dings repaired as well.

This is precisely why Porsche made those little bumperettes for the US market. I replaced one of mine years ago--Here you go:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...p-by-step.html

Quick Reply: I saw it happen in slow motion...