Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Caliper Question

Old 04-11-2018, 10:36 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,247 Likes on 1,253 Posts
Default Brake Caliper Question

One for the brain trust - just swapped in my track pads this weekend, my first time working on the brakes on this car. I bedded them in properly.

This morning, after driving to work (damn they squeal like stuck pigs), I looked at the calipers all the way around just to triple check status. I noticed something I had not noticed before. As you can see in the picture, there appears to be a steel dowel extending perpendicular from the caliper face towards the rotor face. There are two dowels per each side of the caliper, and obviously the pads nest on them. But if you look at the picture, you can see that the pad doesn't have to wear down very far before those steel dowels will start to grind into the rotors.

What am I missing here? Do those dowels automatically retract as the pads wear down? If not, then you do not get much pad wear before you run into real trouble. Any thoughts appreciated.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:38 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Just another thought re the above - the pistons extend as the pads wear, pushing the back of the pad forward toward the rotor face, so presumably, the pad wear never reaches the face of the dowel. Am I close?
Old 04-11-2018, 11:03 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

The dowels are attached to the caliper. They dont move. The caliper also does not move. The pads move as they are pushed by the pistons but the dowels do not.

mike
Old 04-12-2018, 12:02 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Dowels keep the pads in place. Remove them and out pop your pads.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:42 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

You should have used new PA's dampeners or st least anti-squeal paste on the backs of the pads when installing to keep them from squealing.
​​​​​​
Old 04-12-2018, 08:00 AM
Ohio Performance
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 188 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by linderpat
Just another thought re the above - the pistons extend as the pads wear, pushing the back of the pad forward toward the rotor face, so presumably, the pad wear never reaches the face of the dowel. Am I close?
you got it!
2007 C4S F77 Aerokit / 2004 E46 M3 / 2018 M3 comp

Old 04-12-2018, 09:08 AM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are those Pagid RS29s? If so, they're going to squeal.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:11 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
You should have used new PA's dampeners or st least anti-squeal paste on the backs of the pads when installing to keep them from squealing.
​​​​​​
I did

Originally Posted by motopix
Are those Pagid RS29s? If so, they're going to squeal.
And yes they are and they sure do. The street pads with new dampeners all going back in immediately after Watkins Glen in early May.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:52 PM
love2drive
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Squeal

A liberal amount of anti squeal paste on back of pads and retaining pin will eliminate the squealing 100%. Be sure not to get the paste on rotor or front brake pad material. Anti vibration damper pads/pucks are a PAI as they may rust into place especially in northern areas with heavy snow and rainy climates where salt is used on roads. I'd advise on taking out damper pucks if they're not stuck yet and just using the paste.

good luck
Old 04-12-2018, 01:57 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by love2drive
A liberal amount of anti squeal paste on back of pads and retaining pin will eliminate the squealing 100%. Be sure not to get the paste on rotor or front brake pad material. Anti vibration damper pads/pucks are a PAI as they may rust into place especially in northern areas with heavy snow and rainy climates where salt is used on roads. I'd advise on taking out damper pucks if they're not stuck yet and just using the paste.

good luck
no it wont. He has track pads on right now. Theyll squeal like an Amtrak.

mie
Old 04-12-2018, 03:25 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And yes they are and they sure do. The street pads with new dampeners all going back in immediately after Watkins Glen in early May.
I found I could help modulate the squeal on the street by braking a bit harder earlier (when they are quiet) and easing up on the pedal as I came to a stop - when the squealing is at it's worst. If you hold the pedal hard all the way to stop they will scream!
Old 04-12-2018, 03:45 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by motopix
I found I could help modulate the squeal on the street by braking a bit harder earlier (when they are quiet) and easing up on the pedal as I came to a stop - when the squealing is at it's worst. If you hold the pedal hard all the way to stop they will scream!
Yup, altho I love watching the faces of those nearby in traffic when I do that. The bite is awesome with these pads
Old 04-13-2018, 02:19 AM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I did

Fyi, bedding in track pads, then running around the streets with them in for almost a month negates the bedding in process of transferring a layer of pad material onto the rotor. Not to mention its harsh on your rotors running track pads on the street for that long. Peeps run track pads on the streets a couple of days AFTER a track weekend to clean off the pad deposits built up on the rotor from the extreme heat created at the track. Read this and what I'm saying will make more sense: https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/i...Path=6446_6444
Old 04-13-2018, 08:45 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by swoardrider
Fyi, bedding in track pads, then running around the streets with them in for almost a month negates the bedding in process of transferring a layer of pad material onto the rotor. Not to mention its harsh on your rotors running track pads on the street for that long. Peeps run track pads on the streets a couple of days AFTER a track weekend to clean off the pad deposits built up on the rotor from the extreme heat created at the track. Read this and what I'm saying will make more sense: https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/i...Path=6446_6444
Thanks for that info. I do know it's harsh on the rotors, did not know about the pad material deposited onto the rotor as part of the bedding process. In any event, I am fortunate, I have other fun cars to drive, so I am not DD the 911 much before WG event.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Caliper Question