997.2 Carrera lowering

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 03:13 PM
GSXR750
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 997.2 Carrera lowering

hello all,

I’ve been given an opportunity to have lowering springs installed and I was wondering weather spacers were needed or not and if so what size.
Not doing it for looks but for handling.
My primary driving is done ACH and hoping to do an occasional track day.

Thanks in advance

Old 04-08-2018, 04:40 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Spacers only for aesthetics. Lowering changes suspension geometry. You WILL need rear adjustable toe links to keep rear toe in check. OEM toe link eccentric bolt doesn’t allow enough change.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:19 PM
GSXR750
Racer

Thank you, it’s for a show, so I’ll have them remove it after
Old 04-09-2018, 01:45 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Spacers only for aesthetics. Lowering changes suspension geometry. You WILL need rear adjustable toe links to keep rear toe in check. OEM toe link eccentric bolt doesn’t allow enough change.
That's how I always thought about spacers but now that you spelled it out I started thinking. A wider track has to have a positive impact on stability. No? I realize we're talking technicalities here with 5mm and 7mm spacers but I just can't imagine that (in theory) a 5' wide 997 GTS would be capable of the same lap time around a track as a standard 6' wide 997 GTS all other things being equal. I think both the GT3 and the GT3 RS are delivered from the factory with wheel spacers. Could well be for aesthetics only but then, why don't they do it with all models instead of just the track oriented cars? Or better yet, why don't they just fix the offsets where it looks good without spacers to begin with? The GT3 cars have different wheels than the rest anyway.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:15 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
That's how I always thought about spacers but now that you spelled it out I started thinking. A wider track has to have a positive impact on stability. No? I realize we're talking technicalities here with 5mm and 7mm spacers but I just can't imagine that (in theory) a 5' wide 997 GTS would be capable of the same lap time around a track as a standard 6' wide 997 GTS all other things being equal. I think both the GT3 and the GT3 RS are delivered from the factory with wheel spacers. Could well be for aesthetics only but then, why don't they do it with all models instead of just the track oriented cars? Or better yet, why don't they just fix the offsets where it looks good without spacers to begin with? The GT3 cars have different wheels than the rest anyway.
yea, i should revise my statement. positive or negative it definitely will change how your car drives when at the limit. on street it's aesthetics.. but toe link on street will be noticable.
on track at limits, yes, you can change driving dynamics of a car with spacers to either induce over or understeer via delta in front or rear track width. it also changes suspension geometry including scrub radius which will be the most noticeable with intensity dependent on other alignment settings (caster, camber, toe).

OP, is it "for a show" or for handling on "occasional track days" ... pretty much the exact far ends of the spectrum there.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:11 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Bit of a red-herring.
It's more complicated than just spreading your feet apart to get better balance. Theoretically, wider could be more stable, but spacing the wheels farther apart is changing the suspension geometry like nwGTS mentioned. All the suspension points are still the same so it will have an effect on weight jacking and other things.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:56 AM
GSXR750
Racer

yea, i should revise my statement. positive or negative it definitely will change how your car drives when at the limit. on street it's aesthetics.. but toe link on street will be noticable.
on track at limits, yes, you can change driving dynamics of a car with spacers to either induce over or understeer via delta in front or rear track width. it also changes suspension geometry including scrub radius which will be the most noticeable with intensity dependent on other alignment settings (caster, camber, toe).

OP, is it "for a show" or for handling on "occasional track days" ... pretty much the exact far ends of the spectrum there.
A shop wants to borrow it to put the lowering springs on and said I could keep them as a thank you, but I just wanted to know if I should.

thanks
Old 04-10-2018, 11:24 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

That’s a good thousand dollar gift there including labor and parts plus alignment. Buy the toe rod parts yourself and have them install them at the same time or even after is fine. One man’s advice.
Wish I had the same problem.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:51 AM
GSXR750
Racer

That’s a good thousand dollar gift there including labor and parts plus alignment. Buy the toe rod parts yourself and have them install them at the same time or even after is fine. One man’s advice.
Wish I had the same problem.
so, you would keep the springs?
i just don’t want to ruin an already nice car and be the guy with mods that destroy all that make the car good.
The only thing I’ve done to it is a sharkwerks center pipe, pie plenum and BMC filters. And I figured that would uncork it a bit.
Thanks
Old 04-10-2018, 12:12 PM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you say what kind of springs? I would love that deal. Keep your old springs.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:06 PM
GSXR750
Racer

Originally Posted by shekmark
Did you say what kind of springs? I would love that deal. Keep your old springs.
vogtland
Old 04-10-2018, 01:35 PM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hard to find any Porsche info with Vogtland. They seem to be big with Audi, Beemer, VW and Mustang?
Old 04-10-2018, 02:01 PM
GSXR750
Racer

Originally Posted by shekmark
Hard to find any Porsche info with Vogtland. They seem to be big with Audi, Beemer, VW and Mustang?
I guess that’s why they want to use my car and put a bunch of stickers on it which I’ll have them remove after the festival of speed.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:42 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

hard to provide advice on a prototype.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:34 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 493 Likes on 314 Posts

FWIW, here’s their current 997 related stuff...

https://vorshlag-store.com/collectio...997-suspension

Karl.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Carrera lowering