Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking noise on 997 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 03:12 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

All good points above. You dont even have to raise the car to see if you have a damaged cat core or substrate. You can bang on it with your fist. Be very careful about hitting it with anything else like a hammer. Dont do that. Cat cores are very delicate. If its messed up you'll here it with your fist giving it some taps. Ours are so easy to get to you could also always do a visual inspection of it.

Have you gone under the engine to see exactly where the noise is coming from? You may very well be able to pinpoint it sticking your head underneath the car. I park on a slight incline or at the edge of my slightly raised garage floor to give me a couple extra inches of room.

Mike
Old 04-11-2018, 03:17 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JPM_GTS
Just found your previous post about your ticking noise, does it sound the same as mine? Was it different incident? you mentioned EVAP PURGE SOLENOID and not the belt tensioner.

The EVAP PURGE SOLENOID comes and goes. I had noticed the noise at 1700 miles back in 2011. Still under warranty the local Pdealer identified the cause.No repairs or replacement needed

The belt tensioner tick was more of a metal sound but turned out to be a belt slap. Like I say, bit of a noisy motor, and I don't notice the EVAP PURGE any more ( maybe just got used to it, or it went away somewhere ? )

My car sounds like all the other members that have posted.
I swear that's why Porsche has the radio come on asap.......
Old 04-11-2018, 03:38 PM
JPM_GTS
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank996
Check my post from last year... Heard it the first time after having pushed my 997.2 C4S at higher altitudes (the alps):

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...om-engine.html

Maybe it can be of some help...
Thank you for the info. Was the noise the same?
Old 04-11-2018, 03:48 PM
Frank996

Received 146 Likes on 51 Posts

@JPM_GTS, are you referring to the sporadic metalic sound or the tad higher pitch tikking noise?

The tikking I had was a "propper" homogen tikking sound and it didn’t sound like something was out of order, if it makes sense. Some sounds are just wrong whereas others sounds ok, and the tikking I had was the later of the two...
Old 04-11-2018, 03:51 PM
JPM_GTS
AutoX

@JPM_GTS, are you referring to the sporadic metalic sound or the tad higher pitch tikking noise?

The tikking I had was a "propper" homogen tikking sound and it didn’t sound like something was out of order, if it makes sense. Some sounds are just wrong whereas others sounds ok, and the tikking I had was the later of the two...
The ticking from the video
Old 04-11-2018, 03:58 PM
Frank996

The ticking from the video
Yeah, but which "tikking" sound are you referring to? There are multiple tikking sounds...
Old 04-11-2018, 04:02 PM
JPM_GTS
AutoX

Yeah, but which "tikking" sound are you referring to? There are multiple tikking sounds...
the metal unrhythmic noise.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:30 AM
Frank996

the metal unrhythmic noise.
Sorry mate, not the same "ticking" sound I had...

This said, I took mine directly to the dealer when I heard, what I thought was unusual, and the mechanic said that I did the right thing even though there was nothing wrong... Maybe you should do the same?
Old 04-13-2018, 01:39 PM
JPM_GTS
AutoX

Sorry mate, not the same "ticking" sound I had...

This said, I took mine directly to the dealer when I heard, what I thought was unusual, and the mechanic said that I did the right thing even though there was nothing wrong... Maybe you should do the same?
I'm going tomorrow and I would of gone sooner but I wanted to go on a long drive before to see if the noise comes back so they can hear it for themselves.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:25 AM
secondshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a ticking/crickets (had a tiny whistle to it) noise twice. It showed up after a belt replacement. Had that done at my Indy. So as I have CPO took this to Dealer. They replaced the belt tensioner. Another ticking/crickets showed up 6 months later and we figured it was the AOS. They ordered the part and when they were ready to replace they called me and told me my exhaust bolts were loose and that accounted for the noise. I was incredulous but the noise was gone. So I figured I would keep the AOS in the back of my mind for the next time. Hasn't showed up since. I do have the familiar DFI ticking which as you all know is normal.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:02 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

To the OP: What was the outcome?
Old 02-28-2019, 09:32 AM
flat6ftw
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Guys,

I noticed a ticking noise a couple of weeks ago after a canyon run (3-4 hour drive) since then I drove the car a couple of times maybe on 30-60 minutes drives and didn’t notice the noise. My car was due for an oil change and decided to take the car to Auto Strausse in Costa Mesa Ca and have Robert try to diagnose the noise. I played the video for him and he thought that it could be the valves. Well after the oil change I told him I would come back if I heard the noise come back which it did but not as bad, by the time I drove back the noise was gone. I just got back from a short drive and heard the noise come back but once again not as bad as video. Any insights on this??

https://youtu.be/QTSdC6Cumr8
Hey OP did you ever get this figured out is the car ok, hate to revive an old thread but it isn't that old.

Check out my car its the exact same noise...fist thread I've found ever with an identical noise( other than @gasongasoff but he had his entire engine replaced as they couldn't figure it out) . Very unique nonrhythmic tapping.

Old 11-25-2019, 05:35 AM
JPM_GTS
AutoX

Originally Posted by ADias
To the OP: What was the outcome?
Originally Posted by flat6ftw
Hey OP did you ever get this figured out is the car ok, hate to revive an old thread but it isn't that old.

Check out my car its the exact same noise...fist thread I've found ever with an identical noise( other than @gasongasoff but he had his entire engine replaced as they couldn't figure it out) . Very unique nonrhythmic tapping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rgilwl1Kno

I wasn't able to replicate the noise for my mechanic or Porsche but after having my throttle body replace due to white smoke at start up, I have not heard the noise since!!!. Also had Porsche replace the HPFP about 60 days after. Hopefully this help guys!
Old 11-26-2019, 10:54 AM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 331 Likes on 212 Posts

I wasn't able to replicate the noise for my mechanic or Porsche but after having my throttle body replace due to white smoke at start up, I have not heard the noise since!!!. Also had Porsche replace the HPFP about 60 days after. Hopefully this help guys!
Thanks for following up JPM!!! I have heard that the HPFPs can make ticking noises as well. Maybe that was part of the solution? A throttle body doesn't seem to have the capacity to tick but who knows.

RGS
- Radiator Grille Store

OEM Look, Economical Protection
www.radiatorgrillestore.com

Old 11-26-2019, 11:21 AM
millertimefl
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RGS
Thanks for following up JPM!!! I have heard that the HPFPs can make ticking noises as well. Maybe that was part of the solution? A throttle body doesn't seem to have the capacity to tick but who knows.
When the throttle body goes bad you will hear a very metallic rattle as the metal air flap starts to slap/vibrate against the intake. I had a bad idle hunting problem along with the tin can metallic sound and it was the throttle body. The plastic gears and bushings in there go bad and cause play in the mechanism causing lots of strange issues/sounds.

Quick Reply: Ticking noise on 997 GTS