997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking noise on 997 GTS

Old 04-09-2018, 04:13 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

This sounds like your cats. This happened to my buddy's 996 after a track day at California Speedway last month. 2003 996 C2 with about 60K miles on it.

This happened when he returned from his second to the last session. Once he pulled into the garage, there was a ticking sound that was echoing inside the garage and enough for him to notice. He immediately shut it down and started to look around for any possible signs, oil, coolant expecting the worst.

He eventually drove it home since there wasn't any performance loss and it went away when he started driving. It was more noticeable at idle and if it was near a wall or parking garage. Back in SD, he brought it to several shops and eventually brought it to Black Forest. That's where they pinpointed the issue to a bad cat. The screen and materials inside broke down from heat and probably time.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:37 PM
mikemessi
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

It's no GTS but my 2011 997.2 Carrera has the same constant quiet ticking with the sporadic louder ticking similar to yours. It has come and gone since new and now has 45k miles. I always attributed it in my mind to the complex valvetrain of the 9a1. This is a clip from 2009 Porsche press release.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:01 PM
JPM_GTS
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate all the information guys. What a great community we have here!!
Old 04-10-2018, 08:24 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemessi

It's no GTS but my 2011 997.2 Carrera has the same constant quiet ticking with the sporadic louder ticking similar to yours. It has come and gone since new and now has 45k miles. I always attributed it in my mind to the complex valvetrain of the 9a1. This is a clip from 2009 Porsche press release.
Those ticking sounds are not valve sounds.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:40 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Those ticking sounds are not valve sounds.
agree
Old 04-11-2018, 03:08 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Oh goodness, I had the EXACT same noise and pattern on my 997.2S. I only heard it when the car was idling. It would get a lot worse (louder and more frequent) after driving at least 45 mins, and then listening to the idling engine again (without turning it off). I posted it here, and you can listen to the audio (along with all the engine parts that were replaced until I finally got a replacement motor for Porsche).
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...can-t-fix.html
Old 04-11-2018, 03:20 AM
JPM_GTS
AutoX

[left]
Originally Posted by gasongasoff
Oh goodness, I had the EXACT same noise and pattern on my 997.2S. I only heard it when the car was idling. It would get a lot worse (louder and more frequent) after driving at least 45 mins, and then listening to the idling engine again (without turning it off). I posted it here, and you can listen to the audio (along with all the engine parts that were replaced until I finally got a replacement motor for Porsche).
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...can-t-fix.html
did they ever tell you what the issue was on your old engine?

Last edited by JPM_GTS; 04-11-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:01 AM
mikemessi
Racer

And when they installed your new engine did they use the original cats? I have a hard time believing its the cats as others have suggested.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:24 AM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

And when they installed your new engine did they use the original cats? I have a hard time believing its the cats as others have suggested.

You can rule out the cats/exhaust by simply shutting off the engine. If the tinking noise goes away when you shut off the engine its not likely the cats/exhaust as they will continue to make clanking/popping noises with engine off.

mike
Old 04-11-2018, 02:05 PM
JPM_GTS
AutoX

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Yes I have an idea. My engine also had a ticking noise which also intermittent and just sounded metal ticky over the somewhat noisy engine. When I took it to the Porsche dealership even the lead mechanic looked concerned, but when we put the car on the hoist he inserted a screwdriver at the belt tensioner and noise went away.

Replaced the belt tensioner and all is good. Still a noisy engine but the ticking went away. 09 C2S with 32km
Just found your previous post about your ticking noise, does it sound the same as mine? Was it different incident? you mentioned EVAP PURGE SOLENOID and not the belt tensioner.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:06 PM
JPM_GTS
AutoX

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
You can rule out the cats/exhaust by simply shutting off the engine. If the tinking noise goes away when you shut off the engine its not likely the cats/exhaust as they will continue to make clanking/popping noises with engine off.

mike
You're right as soon as the engine is off the noise is gone.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:41 PM
mikemessi
Racer

Exhaust metal expansion and contraction ticking continues after shut down but loose cat cells bouncing around from exhaust pulses does not. Just because it doesn't continue after shut down does not rule out cats. Non the less this does not sound like loose cats to me.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:43 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

What else do you think it can be?

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
mike
That sound that you're describing is normal for a healthy cat. All cars w/cats make that sound after you turn off the engine for several mins.

Originally Posted by JPM_GTS
You're right as soon as the engine is off the noise is gone.
I showed your video to my buddy with his 996 and he said it sounds similar but not rhythmic as yours. Since CA law is strict with any emission device, the shop couldn't do any aftermarket cat replacement; only OEM. He ended up buying Magnaflow cat and had a muffler shop across the street install it. When he showed me his old cat, the screen was broken and pieces of metal could be heard bouncing around like change in a tin can.

Again, others say it's not the cats but my buddy was driving his 911 at a higher pace, similar to your situation when the cats went out.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:55 PM
Frank996

Received 146 Likes on 51 Posts

Check my post from last year... Heard it the first time after having pushed my 997.2 C4S at higher altitudes (the alps):

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...om-engine.html

Maybe it can be of some help...
Old 04-11-2018, 03:05 PM
mikemessi
Racer

Hitting the cat with a rubber mallet will usually reproduce the sound of loose metal in a can which sounds different than the sound in video. I have no idea what the sound in the video is. Like I said mine has done this as long as I can remember and I attributed to valvetrain. But an ancillary such as oil pump, hpfp, belt tensioner, etc makes sense too. Interesting mine is heard at the same location (loudest at right rear underside). From what I understand there are multiple electronic oil pumps operated on demand by the ecu. Since the sound comes and goes and seems to be an odd rhythmic, could it be one of these oil pumps going bad? Other thought to me is a chain tensioner losing pressure at idle but I would think that would be more continuous.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ticking noise on 997 GTS