Sponsored by:

Planning to get a 997.1 Turbo - annoying issue MT vs Tip thread

Old 04-07-2018, 04:35 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Planning to get a 997.1 Turbo - annoying issue MT vs Tip thread

Hey guys,

Lately, I have been thinking about to getting a 997.1 Turbo for daily driving. Being a DD, I will be going through some major annoying retarded traffic. Yesterday, I spent around 1.5 hours for like 8 miles in DC traffic. There are days when traffic is light and driving is fun in area.

I know these cars need to MT, but for the Tip drivers, how is the feel of the car ? I already know what PDK feels like, and have zero complaints about it (heck, I love the 991.2 manual shifting mode, Porsche finally fixed the orientation).

There are countless threads on this, but getting fresh insights is welcome. Let me know Tip transmission drivers, how do you feel when you drive this car. How is the feedback received from the car?

Also what are the main options to have in the 997.1 Turbo? Is Porsche Vectoring standard in the 997.1 Turbos?
Old 04-07-2018, 04:54 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

You might get better feedback with this post in the turbo forum..

IMO, DDing a MT turbo with that kind of traffic would be a deal breaker for me.. I don't DD mine and it's perfect :-)

Might be best to find someone local with a tip turbo and try it out.. Hard to describe a feel in words..

Regarding options, I'd say Sport Chrono, adaptive sport seats, and a LSD if you are inclined. PCCBs are also nice if you are into that.

No torque vectoring on the .1 turbo.

In the US, turbos came standard with full leather, PASM, and navigation, and probably some other things I can't remember.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:33 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Can confirm that DD traffic duty in a 6mt Turbo is really annoying and feels like a waste. The car needs free flowing high speed roads.

Porsche Torque Vectoring came included with the Sport Chrono option on the .2 Turbos.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:10 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Thanks guys.

Looks like I have to make a plan to get a Tip model, I really do want a manual but the traffic woes are persistent, and I do not have space for parking 2 Turbos (1 manual and 1 Auto) in my Garage. Have to pick one for now.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:40 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

^ If at all possible, drive one before you decide.

May not be possible, but If it were me in this situation, I would hold out (and save up if needed) for a .2 turbo with PDK.
Old 04-08-2018, 03:23 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

MANUAL. Annnnnd DONE. Replace your engine mounts. Add a Numeric short shift. I’m in a manual C4 now and the turbo .2 997 std full leather pkg, Adaptive sport Seats, delete-NAV, basically as my .1 is. TT is my next car no question about it, also needs Numeric shifter with a 6MT. I doubt I’ll sell my 6MT C4. Dallas has terrible traffic and garbage roads too, but I’d never drive a non-manual. Too much fun for me and keeps me engaged while driving. Whatever other goodies the TT comes with will just be a bonus but the above I can’t live without. To each their own.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:01 PM
cool flash
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The tiptronic can be optimised by adjusting the shift times in the tcu. Some of the tuning guys can do it. As stated, it gets it close to PDK.

CF
Old 04-08-2018, 05:39 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Owned a Tip 997 C2S, Im on my second 997 TT MT and was in a 997 TT PDK.

You have to buy a car for its intended purpose, otherwise it would be a disappointing experience.

I drive my TT to work maybe 1-2/week but I do not use it in traffic and its all highway. Love it. Mostly I have other DD in my stable.

If you plan on mostly using in city driving, get a Tip. Ive owned MT since my first car.

Anybody who are blinded by the MT and Tip argument, that MT only is probably looking at the resale problem of a Tip. But for long term use, that would not matter.

Drove my Tip 997 to long drives and it was amazing. Ever drove a mercedez auto on trips, is how I describe it.

Plus, you can get good deals on Tips right now.

The only difference to the argument is resale, if you buy it now then trade it within 3 years, you are going to eat alot of depreciation, not just because of the miles, but its a hard sell.

I would rather be in a Tip on traffic than a MT. In fact, I always feel bad seeing people on traffic on a MT.

But thats just me.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:30 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Excellent responses everyone
Old 04-26-2018, 07:03 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This may help -

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...mission-3.html
Old 04-27-2018, 02:33 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

If you hate driving a manual in traffic. Get the auto.
I hate the traffic.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:37 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

Dealer near me has 2 nice turbos (08 coupe and 09 Cabriolet), both Tiptronic. I had some thoughts about swapping my 09 C2S Cabrio for the 09 Turbo cabrio and this dealer takes care of my car, so he let me take the turbo out for awhile. My 09 has PDK, so the tiptronic wasn't a huge adjustment. The PDK is a better transmission; always seems to be in the right gear and shifts are firm and smooth. The Tiptronic is not particularly sporty feeling and not always in the right gear... kind of reminds me of a Chrysler automatic about 15 years ago. But, it works real well with the turbo, it holds boost better than a manual and has impressive response when you kick it down. I know there are many diehard manual transmissions fanatics around yet. Hell, I was one of them for 50 years. But, you don't need a manual transmission with the turbo.

Aside from that, I really liked the way the turbo went and sounded. I don't like all black. But, the longer I see it on the lot, the more tempting it is. I suppose I have to start looking for potential problems with 09 turbos.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Planning to get a 997.1 Turbo - annoying issue MT vs Tip thread