DIY Brake fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 12:17 PM
vikingpilot
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY Brake fluid change

Quick question,

I have a 2006 Carrera S that obviously has PASM. I read somewhere you need to use a Porsche maintenance computer program to cycle
the valves when doing the brake flush.

Is this all BS, is it a complete DIY project with a brakeflusher and no computer hooked up.

Thanks
Old 04-06-2018, 12:20 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Its not required. You can gravity bleed and be fine.

Mike
Old 04-06-2018, 12:25 PM
vikingpilot
Advanced

So no need to use the computer to cycle the valves Mike?
Old 04-06-2018, 12:29 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Originally Posted by vikingpilot
So no need to use the computer to cycle the valves Mike?

Cycling the ABS pump just allows you to get that fluid that is in there out. Its not necessary. You'll be replacing 90% of the fluid anyways. If you were nuts about it you could do a gravity bleed and then go out and panic stop the crap out of the car and then do another gravity bleed. Its not a lot of fluid anyways but I wouldnt bother. I'd just gravity bleed it and be done.

BTW.... you DO NOT want to introduce air into the system. If you get air in the system you may have to cycle the pump to get it out. You can technically do that too by panic stopping the car but you should have a very safe PRIVATE area to do this if you go that route. If you do a gravity bleed and never run the MC dry you'll be fine.

I used a turkey baster and remove the fluid in the reservoir. Then I put .5L or so of new fluid in. Then I gravity bleed .25L or so from each caliper while adding more fluid in and its an easy job. If you get inpatient and try and dump all the fluid out at once or pump the pedal aggressively youll get air in there.

Mike
Old 04-06-2018, 12:51 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
Cycling the ABS pump just allows you to get that fluid that is in there out. Its not necessary. You'll be replacing 90% of the fluid anyways. If you were nuts about it you could do a gravity bleed and then go out and panic stop the crap out of the car and then do another gravity bleed. Its not a lot of fluid anyways but I wouldnt bother. I'd just gravity bleed it and be done.

BTW.... you DO NOT want to introduce air into the system. If you get air in the system you may have to cycle the pump to get it out. You can technically do that too by panic stopping the car but you should have a very safe PRIVATE area to do this if you go that route. If you do a gravity bleed and never run the MC dry you'll be fine.

I used a turkey baster and remove the fluid in the reservoir. Then I put .5L or so of new fluid in. Then I gravity bleed .25L or so from each caliper while adding more fluid in and its an easy job. If you get inpatient and try and dump all the fluid out at once or pump the pedal aggressively youll get air in there.

Mike

BTW, Durametirc won't pump your ABS regardless of what they claim. Yes, the ABS fluid stays and that was the reason people thought in the old days the Super Blue stains their brake system. Actually it was the old Super Blue left in the ABS that got dumped (when activated) into the rest of the brake system causing people to think that the Super Blue stains the system. I still alternate using the Blue and Ember colored fluids. The Blues are still available through mail order from UK, but very expensive compared to the ember.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:58 PM
vikingpilot
Advanced

Thanks guys, ordering a power bleeder now....
Old 04-06-2018, 01:14 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Ive also hear the durametric wont get the ABS pump to cycle. If I every get around to it I'm going to order this then...

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...656sch01a~scf/

Mike
Old 04-06-2018, 04:26 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Nice, did not know Schwaben had marque specific scan tools. Don’t need a laptop either. Mind you, it doesn’t appear that it can coding.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:30 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
Nice, did not know Schwaben had marque specific scan tools. Don’t need a laptop either. Mind you, it doesn’t appear that it can coding.

I figured it doesnt do coding even though it does say...
  • Performs special functions, coding, security access**
Now security access and coding is exactly what they are advertising but I cant believe it really does or if it does it may be extremely limited.

Anyone feel like sending them an email?

Mike
Old 04-06-2018, 04:47 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Interesting....

I just got off the phone with ECS and the guy has this same NT510 for his chevy and his VW and he reports it actually does to coding BUT they offer not support or guarantees on it because they dont want to be responsible for people bricking a module.

You can also pay for upgrades for other car manufacturers and load as many as you want on this device which is awesome. I'm going to keep doing more digging and try to get someone at foxwell to get more info but I may pull the trigger.

Mike
Old 04-06-2018, 04:54 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Interesting....

I just got off the phone with ECS and the guy has this same NT510 for his chevy and his VW and he reports it actually does to coding BUT they offer not support or guarantees on it because they dont want to be responsible for people bricking a module.

You can also pay for upgrades for other car manufacturers and load as many as you want on this device which is awesome. I'm going to keep doing more digging and try to get someone at foxwell to get more info but I may pull the trigger.

Mike
wow, that’s pretty cool! I already have a Durametric professional version, but haven’t stumped up the cash for a Mercedes Star diagnostics, and that has a whole heal of multiplexers plus you need a laptop. If I could get the Mercedes version and then possibly buy a Porsche module, that would kick butt.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:12 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Originally Posted by Saaboteur

wow, that’s pretty cool! I already have a Durametric professional version, but haven’t stumped up the cash for a Mercedes Star diagnostics, and that has a whole heal of multiplexers plus you need a laptop. If I could get the Mercedes version and then possibly buy a Porsche module, that would kick butt.
the plot thickens lol. I went to foxwell and they are running a deal where for $149 you get the nt510 and any one manufacturer specific sw for free so i just ordered it. Ill do a write up when i can

mike
Old 04-06-2018, 06:20 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

the plot thickens lol. I went to foxwell and they are running a deal where for $149 you get the nt510 and any one manufacturer specific sw for free so i just ordered it. Ill do a write up when i can

mike
Nice. I’ll keep an eye out for a thread!
Old 04-07-2018, 08:47 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Ive also hear the durametric wont get the ABS pump to cycle. If I every get around to it I'm going to order this then...

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...656sch01a~scf/

Mike
Will this thing work on multiple cars? I had one for an Audi ( which I sold after one year ) that registered the VIN after the first time I used it. I was not sure if I could have used it on another Audi, however, I never tried.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:29 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

My Durametric Pro absolutely can cycle the ABS pump in the Brakes Activations menu on my 2005.. I had to do it when I accidentally ran the reservoir dry when doing a Motive pressure bleed using the dry method. Since then I've switched all my cars over to the same Motul RBF600 and now just fill the plower bleeder up once a year and do all the cars one after the other, then clean it up until the next use - usually next year.

Quick Reply: DIY Brake fluid change