Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Brake fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 10:00 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

I would avoid the NT510 for a 997.2 if that's your only car. Just got it last week. Works great for the Macan but limited functions on a 997.2. It won't communicate sometimes and won't reset the service lights.

I bought from foxwell and the tech support was actually good. It takes 1 working day to respond and they always did. But they confirmed that there are limited 997.2 functions but they are working on it.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:22 AM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes the nt510 can be loaded with multiple car manufacturers.

interesting on the 997.1 vs 997.2 functionality. This may be the case with durametric too as there are multiple people who tried to use it to cycle the abs and for them it looked like it was working but actually the pump wouldnt cycle. They reached out to durametric and got no support.

Illl at least try it on 997.1 and see what it will and wont do.

mike
Old 04-07-2018, 12:46 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
My Durametric Pro absolutely can cycle the ABS pump in the Brakes Activations menu on my 2005.. I had to do it when I accidentally ran the reservoir dry when doing a Motive pressure bleed using the dry method. Since then I've switched all my cars over to the same Motul RBF600 and now just fill the plower bleeder up once a year and do all the cars one after the other, then clean it up until the next use - usually next year.
I know there is a function for Durametric for ABS actions. However, I'm not too sure it works. I tried it, and it did nothing other than flashes on the screen stating that it is done. Do you actually feel the ABS pump activating. Bear in mind the only way ABS fluid gets dumped into the main reservoir is a pumping action that you could clearly hear and feel. If not, then it is just a front end menu driven that is not supported by the software yet. I've written to Durametric and they gave me the silent treatment, no response, and no verification on this issue. Mine car is s 997.2 and it didn't work.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:41 PM
orange260z
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My Durametric Pro absolutely can cycle the ABS pump in the Brakes Activations menu on my 2005.. I had to do it when I accidentally ran the reservoir dry when doing a Motive pressure bleed using the dry method. Since then I've switched all my cars over to the same Motul RBF600 and now just fill the plower bleeder up once a year and do all the cars one after the other, then clean it up until the next use - usually next year.
Petza, is it a good idea to leave brake fluid in the Motive for a year? I thought BF was highly hygroscopic and bottles once opened should be disposed of fairly quickly. I guess once in the Motive it's in a closed environment - like in the brake system, but also how would that be any different than in the container?

BTW, I bought the iCarsoft PORII last fall, but have yet to use it. I believe it is supposed to have the ABS cycling function.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:18 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

A lot of people don't put brake fluids directly into the Motive. Instead just use the master cylinder reservoir. This will first not waste any fluid and also you don't have to clean up the Motive later. Brake fluid should never be left unsealed. Leaving brake fluid even in a sealed environment such as within the Motive will absorb moisture due to the large air space within it. I use the master brake reservoir. You just have to keep an eye to top it up as you bled the system.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:20 PM
orange260z
Instructor

Yes, I typically run the power bleeder dry (ie refill directly into the reservoir). But I understand that if you unseal a bottle of fluid you should dispose of the rest if not used immediately (few weeks I guess??)
Old 04-07-2018, 09:26 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

I don't think he leaves the fluid in the power bleeder. Just does all the cars at once because it will hold a lot of break fluid. Then cleans it up until next year
Old 04-07-2018, 09:29 PM
orange260z
Instructor

Originally Posted by dgjks6
I don't think he leaves the fluid in the power bleeder. Just does all the cars at once because it will hold a lot of break fluid. Then cleans it up until next year
DOH!

I just re-read it and you're right. This is what happens when you rennlist while playing Battlefield 1.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:12 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=Petza914;14924866]My Durametric Pro absolutely can cycle the ABS pump in the Brakes Activations menu on my 2005.. I had to do it when I accidentally ran the reservoir dry when doing a Motive pressure bleed using the dry method. Since then I've switched all my cars over to the same Motul RBF600 and now just fill the plower bleeder up once a year and do all the cars one after the other, then clean it up until the next use - usually next year.[/QUOTE
The ABS brake fluid is contained in a different chamber and does not cross over to the master cylinder reservoir unless the ABS is activated and the valves actuate the pumping action. So even if the main reservoir runs dry, the self-contained ABS does not. As I said the only way to recycle the ABS is actuating it, or using a Porsche tool for the task. Durametric can't do it because I had Super Blue in the system prior to bleeding, and even after bleeding the system clear of Super Blue, replacing with ember colored fluid, I then activated the ABS with aggressive braking action on the street. Sure enough, the ABS dumped the old Super Blue into the master reservoir. Visually it gives a bluish tint which in the older days people erroneously thought Super Blue stains their brake system. This task proves that old brake fluids are self-contained within the ABS system.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:48 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,156 Likes on 3,924 Posts

[QUOTE=henryting;14927452]
My Durametric Pro absolutely can cycle the ABS pump in the Brakes Activations menu on my 2005.. I had to do it when I accidentally ran the reservoir dry when doing a Motive pressure bleed using the dry method. Since then I've switched all my cars over to the same Motul RBF600 and now just fill the plower bleeder up once a year and do all the cars one after the other, then clean it up until the next use - usually next year.[/QUOTE
The ABS brake fluid is contained in a different chamber and does not cross over to the master cylinder reservoir unless the ABS is activated and the valves actuate the pumping action. So even if the main reservoir runs dry, the self-contained ABS does not. As I said the only way to recycle the ABS is actuating it, or using a Porsche tool for the task. Durametric can't do it because I had Super Blue in the system prior to bleeding, and even after bleeding the system clear of Super Blue, replacing with ember colored fluid, I then activated the ABS with aggressive braking action on the street. Sure enough, the ABS dumped the old Super Blue into the master reservoir. Visually it gives a bluish tint which in the older days people erroneously thought Super Blue stains their brake system. This task proves that old brake fluids are self-contained within the ABS system.
Not sure if you have a .1 or a .2, but in my .1 when I ran the reservoir dry, no amount if normal bleeding at the calipers would restore the pedal. After using my Durametric to cycle the ABS pump doing all 4 wheels in the sequence Durametric walks you through, the pedal was returned and firm again. You can actually hear the oukp cycle when you press the activation button on the PC screen.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:23 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=Petza914;14927635]
Originally Posted by henryting

Not sure if you have a .1 or a .2, but in my .1 when I ran the reservoir dry, no amount if normal bleeding at the calipers would restore the pedal. After using my Durametric to cycle the ABS pump doing all 4 wheels in the sequence Durametric walks you through, the pedal was returned and firm again. You can actually hear the oukp cycle when you press the activation button on the PC screen.

Mine is 997.2. This requires further investigation. If Durametric indeed pumps the ABS, that will make my day. Just so that we are on the same level, can you briefly walk us through how you perform this task with Durametric?
Old 04-08-2018, 07:36 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

This seems like a 997.1 versus 997.2 issue. From what people are posting the Durametric and the nt510 was not working for the 997.2..

mike
Old 04-09-2018, 12:33 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,156 Likes on 3,924 Posts

[QUOTE=henryting;14927678]

Mine is 997.2. This requires further investigation. If Durametric indeed pumps the ABS, that will make my day. Just so that we are on the same level, can you briefly walk us through how you perform this task with Durametric?
Mike is probably correct - my cars are 997.1 models and its as simple as going to the braking module, Activations, then the ABS pump. When you're in there it shows you all 4 wheels in the order they should be activated along with a start & stop button for each. There's a warning about not running the pump for more than a few seconds and allowing for some tine between wheels for it to cool. I hook IP my power bleeder pressurized, put my silicone hose with collection bag on the bleeder screw, along with the brake wrench. Then I hit start on the PC screen for that wheel, open the bleed screw while the pump is running for about 10 seconds, close the screw, then hit stop on the PC screen. I wait a couple minutes while I move everything to the next wheel, then repeat the process.

There are some things Durametric won't do on my 2009 Cayenne Turbo too, so it nay be less useful on that generation of Porsches.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:41 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

[QUOTE=Petza914;14929112]
Originally Posted by henryting

Mike is probably correct - my cars are 997.1 models and its as simple as going to the braking module, Activations, then the ABS pump. When you're in there it shows you all 4 wheels in the order they should be activated along with a start & stop button for each. There's a warning about not running the pump for more than a few seconds and allowing for some tine between wheels for it to cool. I hook IP my power bleeder pressurized, put my silicone hose with collection bag on the bleeder screw, along with the brake wrench. Then I hit start on the PC screen for that wheel, open the bleed screw while the pump is running for about 10 seconds, close the screw, then hit stop on the PC screen. I wait a couple minutes while I move everything to the next wheel, then repeat the process.

There are some things Durametric won't do on my 2009 Cayenne Turbo too, so it nay be less useful on that generation of Porsches.

Just want to update you guys. So far the NT510 is incredible!

For $149 I got the scanner and the Porsche specific software. Ive only had it for a couple hours and so far here is what it can do....

-Read/Erase Porsche Specific Trouble Codes
- A ton of live data and datalogging of sensors for everything from ignition timing, tranmission temperatures, intake temps, misfires, to a/c compressor temps. You name it and you can measure and record it.
- Active testing of components like cycling the ABS pump. Yes it did work. 100% for the 997.1
- Coding. So far I removed the seatbelt chime and codec my side markers to act as turn signals. There is all the standard comfort function coding, removing airbag lights, etc etc etc. There is a ton of coding. So far, it seems to work for that.

- Run an overrev report. Very easy to do and seems to give all the same infor the durametric does.

I'm going to do an in-depth video on the functionality of this thing but so far so good!!! Let me know any modules or functions you guys want me to check.

Mike
Old 04-14-2018, 09:52 PM
Pokerpot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let us know if it will reset airbag light and service light too. It looked like it wasn't on the list in the pdf on their website, though I only scanned the 997 section.

Quick Reply: DIY Brake fluid change