Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure 37/44 for new 4S's ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 01:30 AM
sailorlite
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tire Pressure 37/44 for new 4S's ??

Had a set of the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S installed yesterday at the local America's Tire. I asked them to set the pressures at 34/40 per the stickers and owner's manual. They declined that request saying that the original Porsche suggestions for the 997 are no longer optimal due to changes in tire manufacturing. This tire dealer is generally quite careful with their recommendations but I'm not sure they got this one right. Do the newest 911's recommend the higher pressures?
Old 04-06-2018, 01:40 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 730 Posts

My tire dealer is very good. He interviewed me to determine alignment and pressure. He recommended similar pressures.

FWIW ... I'm getting about 27K miles on my rears and near 40K on my fronts.

But if I forget to lower the pressures before a spirited drive I find myself spending a lot of time in the air and sliding through turns!!!
Old 04-06-2018, 01:47 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

my 997.2 also said 37 44 on stock 19s - that is way too high imo

these figures are often tweaked for mpg ratings

i run 33 37 cold for regular street use

nice compromise for handling noise rim protection fuel economy
The following users liked this post:
Hella-Buggin' (04-26-2020)
Old 04-06-2018, 01:57 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

I run 32/36 cold for street use. I tend to incorporate twisty roads in often enough that that's a decent compromise. Keep in mind that some manufacturer pressure suggestions are based on fuel economy and tire life.
I care about grip, but I get about 15 out of my rears and 30 from the fronts. I'm running AD08R's and they're not happy over 40PSI in the rear.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:01 AM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
My tire dealer is very good. He interviewed me to determine alignment and pressure. He recommended similar pressures. FWIW ... I'm getting about 27K miles on my rears and near 40K on my fronts. But if I forget to lower the pressures before a spirited drive I find myself spending a lot of time in the air and sliding through turns!!!
What a coincidence. I get 27/40 MPG city/hwy with my 997 C2

...of course that's when driving on the planet where you get 27,000 miles on your rears
Old 04-06-2018, 02:07 AM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

36 front and 38 rear cold. These pressures rise to 42/44 after ~15 miles at interstate speed. 20" P-Zeros.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:16 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by j beede
What a coincidence. I get 27/40 MPG city/hwy with my 997 C2

...of course that's when driving on the planet where you get 27,000 miles on your rears
I checked my records ... every 25K on the rears. But I try to replace them a bit early. 35K on the fronts, but again while they have some tread left.

I'm lucky to get 30 mpg highway, and spirited can be low teens. You'll need to provide evidence of your 27/40!!!!!
Attached Images   
Old 04-06-2018, 02:21 AM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

My tire dealer is very good. He interviewed me to determine alignment and pressure. He recommended similar pressures.

FWIW ... I'm getting about 27K miles on my rears and near 40K on my fronts.

But if I forget to lower the pressures before a spirited drive I find myself spending a lot of time in the air and sliding through turns!!!

What are your alignment settings? The Michelin Pilot Sports I just took off lasted about 10k kilometers rear and 20k front. Less than half of your mileage. Or do you drive like a grandma??

Edit: You posted alignment settings as I was posting this.

My amazement has yet to cease, tho.

What was the outcome of your interview? Why did you get those particular settings?

Last edited by mcfisticuffs; 04-06-2018 at 03:28 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:43 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

I'm at 33/40 cold on PS4s. Anything above that and I found the ride way too harsh. I actually blame my broken pressure plate on running 44psi in the rear.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:03 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mcfisticuffs

What are your alignment settings? The Michelin Pilot Sports I just took off lasted about 10k kilometers rear and 20k front. Less than half of your mileage. Or do you drive like a grandma??

Edit: You posted alignment settings as I was posting this.

My amazement has yet to cease, tho.

What was the outcome of your interview? Why did you get those particular settings?
25K anticipated miles a year. 80 to 90% freeway commute. 10 to 20% spirited. Grew up on dirt, snow, and ice. Willing to live with less rear toe for longer tire life. This was a personal decision with handling compromises that may not be right for everyone.

I won't speak to how I drive, but definitely DO NOT forget to lower the pressure before going out to drive like grandma 8)
Old 04-06-2018, 11:04 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfisticuffs
The Michelin Pilot Sports I just took off lasted about 10k kilometers rear and 20k front. Less than half of your mileage. Or do you drive like a grandma??
LOL Another 'my thingy is bigger than your's post. Carry on...
Old 04-07-2018, 11:21 AM
evo9
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

FWIW - I'm a new (< 1yr) owner of a 2010 C2S. Car had new rear P-Zeros on it when I obtained it. My Indie advised me to run tire pressures as recommended on placard in drivers door jamb (37/44), said tire would last longer and that lower pressures contributed to inside tire wear. Seemed extremely high to me based on pressures I've previously used on non P-cars but, I said what the h3ll and decided to try it.

Well, I have 10K mikes on tires and rears look like new. No noticeable inside tire wear vs outside of tire. Tread wear is even across width of tire. My instinct (which was wrong) had anticipated that center of tire tread would wear more outside using 44psi. I guess the rear weight bias of car, really means that rear tire pressure >40psi is not only OK, but the right way to go per my Indie and Porsche.

BTW - My driving style is highly spirited. Many stints up to 110mph, many visits to redline (once oil up to operating temp. or course), and attacking on-ramps like a beast (weather and traffic conditions permitting). I.e.. I drive it like I stole it when the wif's not with me, LOL

pEace oUT
The following users liked this post:
paddlefoot64 (04-26-2020)
Old 04-07-2018, 11:33 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

25K anticipated miles a year. 80 to 90% freeway commute. 10 to 20% spirited. Grew up on dirt, snow, and ice. Willing to live with less rear toe for longer tire life. This was a personal decision with handling compromises that may not be right for everyone.

I won't speak to how I drive, but definitely DO NOT forget to lower the pressure before going out to drive like grandma 8)
Hmmmmm...I'll speak to how you drive: "grandma" is not a word that ever comes to mind when I see that dumbass grin on your face in my side-view mirror or I see you airborne in front of me on our special roads of the NorCal coast (with much to much air in your tires but I digress) or while traveling on the roads traversing the Sierra or the Cascades, or east of those ranges (see below).

PS: 33/37 cold for me is the ideal all-around tire pressure for the MPS4S.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:24 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

I don’t know about you, but I know some grandmas that tear that beotch up and a bunch of middle aged dudes creating speed bumps on the interstate and track.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:00 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by david
Hmmmmm...I'll speak to how you drive: "grandma" is not a word that ever comes to mind when I see that dumbass grin on your face in my side-view mirror or I see you airborne in front of me on our special roads of the NorCal coast (with much to much air in your tires but I digress) or while traveling on the roads traversing the Sierra or the Cascades, or east of those ranges (see below).

PS: 33/37 cold for me is the ideal all-around tire pressure for the MPS4S.

Beautiful shot with that background. Reminds me for those who may not realize it ... you can use the throttle while airborne over whoopdies to lower the backend and smooth out those landings. Kind of like riding a motorcycle 8)

Likewise drop off the throttle to lower the front if you need to adjust the other way.

These really are amazing cars!!!

And I agree with David about tire pressures when having fun. Another very technical friend states that no matter what the fronts should be 5 psi less than the rears.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure 37/44 for new 4S's ??