Sponsored by:

Motive power bleeder 0 psi

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 12:51 PM
Presto
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Motive power bleeder 0 psi

Any motive power bleeder users can please help me out.
first time power bleeder user, as per instruction I was dry testing my new bleeder to see if it will hold 10-12 psi but even after pumping 50 times the gauge is stuck at zero psi. What could be wrong? No obvious leaks detected. It’s the European black version with the stainless steel cap.

return for refund or anything to troubleshoot first?
Old 04-03-2018, 04:43 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Presto
Any motive power bleeder users can please help me out.
first time power bleeder user, as per instruction I was dry testing my new bleeder to see if it will hold 10-12 psi but even after pumping 50 times the gauge is stuck at zero psi. What could be wrong? No obvious leaks detected. It’s the European black version with the stainless steel cap.

return for refund or anything to troubleshoot first?
It should work fine, mine has for over 5 years now. Just a couple questions for clarity on your post. Did you make sure the tubing connections (cap-tubing & canister tubing) were well connected? Mine seal fine but I do have to use wrenches to tighten them adequately. Also, did you connect your metal cap to your brake fluid reservoir and make sure it was securely tightened too? And finally, the pump assembly needs to be reasonably tight to the base reservoir. Once these are all done and adequately tightened, a few pumps on the pump handle should start to show a gradual pressure increase on the pressure gauge. If all of this was done correctly and you still cannot get any pressure in the system, then you probably have a faulty system and I'd suggest you return it for a replacement system. The Motive pressure bleeder is a great DIY tool.

BTW - I use this dry connection when I want to do a quick pressure test and small volume bleed and have never had a problem. It also make for a quick clean up since you don't add brake fluid to the canister/reservoir.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:29 PM
bhvrdr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

If you are set on using the power bleeder dont let me dissuade you but as an FYI I have found them to be more of a PITA to use than they are worth. As long as you dont run the MC dry and introduce air into the system you can gravity bleed while adding new fluid and it is super easy. Something to consider.

Mike
Old 04-03-2018, 10:32 PM
ronvanr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
If you are set on using the power bleeder dont let me dissuade you but as an FYI I have found them to be more of a PITA to use than they are worth. As long as you dont run the MC dry and introduce air into the system you can gravity bleed while adding new fluid and it is super easy. Something to consider.

Mike
So True just takes longer. Every time I remove a caliper or bleed screw and don't cap it properly, I come back to an empty Master Cylinder - no matter what wheel position it is on the car.

My bleeding tip, I first loosen the bleed screw with a breaker bar and six sided socket to reduce risk of striping the bleed screw with a box end wrench or flare wrench. With a breaker bar I can loosen the screw then barely tighten it down before any brake fluid comes out. Then after I attach my bleeding tube, I can easily open the screw with a box end wrench - Enjoy.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:48 PM
scottiemac
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had trouble with the first one I bought - same thing - wouldn’t build pressure. I disassembled the pump and found that the little diaphragm on the end of the plunger had broken off. I took a picture of it and sent it to them. They shipped me a new pump.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:07 AM
Presto
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Contacted motive who replied fast. The grease on the white plastic piston on the end of the metal shaft had fallen into the bottom of the pump cylinder blocking the 4 small holes. Cleaned it out, added new grease and it works but it’s really hard to pump it above 10psi.
Also have a small leak where the gauge attaches which I need to fix next.. For $70 I’d say the quality control and build is not upto the mark.

This was supposed to make brake bleeding a lot easier but I spent 2hrs just getting the damn thing to work as it should. Hopefully it will last a few more brake bleed jobs.

Quick Reply: Motive power bleeder 0 psi