Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Installed Fisters on my 07 S... (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1061426-installed-fisters-on-my-07-s.html)

Lowcountry 04-02-2018 07:37 PM

Installed Fisters on my 07 S...

They are very nice with quality welds and finish. I'm not sure how I feel about the sound yet. Sounds glorious over about 4500rpm, but below that I'm not completely sold yet I guess. Maybe it's because I really enjoyed the induction sound I was getting at 4000rpm with stock setup, and now the mufflers drown out all induction sound. I'm gonna keep driving it and see what happens.

UK2 04-03-2018 04:17 PM

I installed them on my 2008 S last year, and your experience with them sounds much like mine. After a year I might be switching back to stock.

shyamvenky 04-03-2018 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by UK2 (Post 14916209)
I installed them on my 2008 S last year, and your experience with them sounds much like mine. After a year I might be switching back to stock.

I'm considering Fister/Gundo for my 05 C2 that has stock mufflers currentlu.. let me know if you want to swap mufflers :)

WhipE350 04-03-2018 04:27 PM

I went with Agency instead. I found one place selling for much less than others. At first I was like OMG loud. What followed though was months of enjoyment and a new found love for the red line. It changed completely how I drove. I found the sound of a screaming Porsche to be very nice. I have buddy with a 991 Cab and he loves the sound of the air induction being piped in. I’ve offered to install secondary bypass but he is worried about losing the induction sound.

cosm3os 04-03-2018 04:34 PM

I have found that the exhaust sound on these cars is really for those outside the car, not the driver. There's so much induction noise in the cabin. Go through a tunnel with the windows down and see what you are missing!

bhvrdr 04-03-2018 04:57 PM

I agree with that and I'd also add that imo these engines aren't all that good sounding under part throttle and low rpm and low load situations. the engine sounds good under full load being wound out.

rickdogg82 04-03-2018 05:03 PM

Love mine. Will never go back.

96Tiger 04-03-2018 05:52 PM

I love the Fisters vs stock on my 09. Besides higher rpms I think it sounds much better at idle and during downshifts.

jamesinger 04-03-2018 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by cosm3os (Post 14916260)
I have found that the exhaust sound on these cars is really for those outside the car, not the driver. There's so much induction noise in the cabin. Go through a tunnel with the windows down and see what you are missing!

I agree. The in-cabin sound is immediately noticeable but coming from all front engine cars, I feel like I cannot hear the exhaust properly. I let my friend do some blasts up on Angeles Crest in my 911 and I also had my wife film a cold start, and the Fister exhaust sounds great from the outside of the car.

I am new to the forum, so IDK how to upload videos yet but I put the youtube clip of a cold start online

The reason I post it, is not because it is accurate but because it does not sound like this at all in car.

Also, with my friend following me in his ZCP M3 with MPE, his car sounds like a motorcycle popping and crackling in M-mode. I can barely hear my own pops and crackles on downshift but they are noticeable outside the car even though they are not ECU tuned into the car like in some new models.

On this topic, I was thinking of blocking the intake muffler thingy. Have any of you guys tried this? It should make the induction noise louder at all RPMs.

bhvrdr 04-03-2018 06:45 PM

yeah I enjoy the intake noise from blocking the resonator. IMO its better than the exhaust note.

Here's the EVOMS intake which sounds somewhat similar to blocking the resonator (I had done that previously)...

Here's my Milltek Supercups BTW. They sound fine but IMO this engine is just not that great sounding of an engine until WOT in the upper band.

Mike

Lowcountry 04-03-2018 07:15 PM

So, I drove the car to work and back today, then went and ran errands in it. I had the windows down the whole time. I have to say that it has really grown on me. I don't think my wife will like it, but I didn't buy the car for her. Looking forward to spending more time field-testing it!

ogun228 04-03-2018 07:24 PM

Well, it not only will grow on you but more importantly, you'll come to appreciate the lack of annoying drone during your first long trip.
I love their relatively tame sound at normal speeds and the transformation upon acceleration. Had them on my 996 and have them on the 997. .
As a bonus, no emissions problems and the price with cores is affordable. He makes no hp gains claims either. Honest guy.

jamesinger 04-03-2018 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Lowcountry (Post 14916634)
So, I drove the car to work and back today, then went and ran errands in it. I had the windows down the whole time. I have to say that it has really grown on me. I don't think my wife will like it, but I didn't buy the car for her. Looking forward to spending more time field-testing it!

on the wife note, my wife HATED both my EVOs. I had 2 of them that both had 2.3L motors with 3" turbo back exhausts straight through. Both were built for the track primarily. My wife said she actually would feel anger when she would hear/feel the car. The second EVO, she refused to even ride in, lol. In any case, she seems cool with the 997 C2S with the Fisters. My only car she liked was a 2012 Avant that was stock, and she drives an i3 (and a Leaf before that), so she is a pretty good indicator. She pretty much hates car noise and car stuff.