Sponsored by:

Disappointing video

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 09:33 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Disappointing video

I saw this video on the PCA website. It goes into depth regarding regarding the stages of failure for the small single row and double row IMS bearings. It also indicates that 1997 through 2008 models have this design flaw. The video fails to make any comment at all regarding the larger bearing or the risks ( or lack of) connected to the larger bearing. I guess we are all doomed and I should sell my 2008 asap! It would be nice to see a video that is more comprehensive/complete and not presented by someone who stands to make money off of this issue.

https://www.pca.org/news/2018-03-27/...earing-failure
Old 03-28-2018, 09:57 AM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
I saw this video on the PCA website. It goes into depth regarding regarding the stages of failure for the small single row and double row IMS bearings. It also indicates that 1997 through 2008 models have this design flaw. The video fails to make any comment at all regarding the larger bearing or the risks ( or lack of) connected to the larger bearing. I guess we are all doomed and I should sell my 2008 asap! It would be nice to see a video that is more comprehensive/complete and not presented by someone who stands to make money off of this issue.

https://www.pca.org/news/2018-03-27/...earing-failure
I have to agree with you. I bought a 2001 Boxster in January 2015 and sold it last summer. It had the original IMS and I read all the hype and horror stories, lot's of stories! I was unfazed by what I read.

I tend to be a guy that sees the "glass half full", not "half empty". My 2001 Box had one of the most failure prone M96 engines, but I drove my car like I stole it. I also took good care of it following the recommended oil change intervals and using high ZDDP-content oils. In my 2.5 years of ownership, my M96 engine ran like a top and never missed a beat.

Thanks for posting. I would recommend you do not sell!
Old 03-28-2018, 11:37 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

Watch all the videos. I have not seen all this video, but I saw the first ones and they were pretty good.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:53 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by B ER
.......my M96 engine ran like a top and never missed a beat.
Yep they do! Fabulous engines....... Until they blow. I had a 2000 Boxster S that blew two ... yes 2 engines...... all without warning... all over-maintained approaches. I find the mix of facts, statistics, and human emotions fascinating.... there is no answer or "what to do". Just isn't However the advice I give to say a young person who now sees the prices of these cars within their grasp... is "what if it blows.... can you afford it?" That's all.... take it or leave it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-28-2018, 12:39 PM
Zettinger
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

Scary video.

in the past I understood the IMS loves to fail in the engine is not properly driven warm before full WOT load and high revs.

A friend of mine bought an 2005 Boxster and is on the 4th!!!! engine with 28k miles on the car.
He also loves to rev the **** out of the cold engine to "show engine sound" with firing up, revving high and turn engine off again and floors right when he leaves.
Basically a man with no technical understanding at all.

Last edited by Zettinger; 03-28-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:54 PM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just isn't However the advice I give to say a young person who now sees the prices of these cars within their grasp... is "what if it blows.... can you afford it?" That's all.... take it or leave it.
Good point Bruce and I do agree on that point. I am fortunate and had the resources to replace the engine if need be.

There are a lot of "horror stories" about these engines; we have all heard many of them before. But, there are more "silent" stories from owners that have driven their M96/97 engines for thousands of trouble-free miles. Mine was one of those stories.

My Auto-X car is a '77 911S (ROW) with the "dreaded" 2.7 liter engine. I bought it in 1986 in Germany. The head studs are supposed to pull loose and the engine is destined to leak more oil than the Exxon Valdez. Also, the chain tensioners were destined to collapse and cause major engine damage. I'm still waiting.

My 3.2 Carrera engine was supposed to have bad valve guides and high oil consumption. It was going to need a top-end overhaul at 30-40k miles. I'm still waiting for that also.

I am being sarcastic. My point is many Porsche engines overs the last 60+ years have had design or build issues. That's all part of the ownership of these great sports cars. I enjoy mine and don't worry about doom & gloom...YMMV
Old 03-28-2018, 02:32 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Zettinger
Scary video.

A friend of mine bought an 2005 Boxster and is on the 4th!!!! engine with 28k miles on the car.
He also loves to rev the **** out of the cold engine to "show engine sound" with firing up, revving high and turn engine off again and floors right when he leaves.
Basically a man with no technical understanding at all.
Hahaa!

Quick Reply: Disappointing video