997 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering springs for 997.2

Old 04-18-2018, 11:15 AM
HenryPcar
User

Originally Posted by shekmark View Post
Did you lower your car yet? If so, what spring did you choose?
No I've decided not to because my 997.2 came with PASM which is about 1" lower than stock already. As far as handling I'm ok with it. Cosmetically, the gap within the wheel well is not that bad.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:02 PM
shyamvenky
Addict
Rennlist Member

I recently had my 05 997's shocks/struts and springs refreshed. I went with the Bilstein B12 kit's equivalent - B8 dampers + Eibach Pro Kit springs since Bilstein said they'd get the kit ready in late July.
The change is a day-night different, since my car has 90k miles on stock dampers and annoying H&R springs. Car now rides much better.

I checked the components after they were removed - dampers were very worn, the valves pretty much broke. The springs had bottomed out (adjacent coil rings touched each other and had deep cracks).
Old 04-18-2018, 07:21 PM
shekmark
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shyamvenky View Post
I recently had my 05 997's shocks/struts and springs refreshed. I went with the Bilstein B12 kit's equivalent - B8 dampers + Eibach Pro Kit springs since Bilstein said they'd get the kit ready in late July.
The change is a day-night different, since my car has 90k miles on stock dampers and annoying H&R springs. Car now rides much better.

I checked the components after they were removed - dampers were very worn, the valves pretty much broke. The springs had bottomed out (adjacent coil rings touched each other and had deep cracks).
What was annoying about the H&R? I am still undecided about what to do to lower. Do you have PASM?
Old 04-18-2018, 09:50 PM
shyamvenky
Addict
Rennlist Member

What was annoying about the H&R? I am still undecided about what to do to lower. Do you have PASM?
My experience could be because the springs and the dampers were pretty much destroyed when I bought this car, so that is all I've felt.
But I "tried" to remember how my old 997 (all stock at ~90k chassis miles) rode and pass a less biased judgement.

H&R has higher spring rates I think - translates to harsher ride than the Eibach Pro springs.
Eibach springs are progressive so they're more compliant on potholes than the H&R which are constant rate.

I had posted the pictures of the H&R springs on my car in another thread - they sagged and that possibly damaged the dampers as well.
The springs sagged so bad that adjacent "coil-rings" collided and there were grooves and cracks in all of them.
I read that the sagging was pretty common for H&Rs and so didn't want to go down that route again.

I'll update those threads with before/after pictures. My car is a base, so no PASM.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:11 AM
sandwedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've had stock springs, Eibach and H&R springs on my three 997's. You could hold a gun to my head and I would swear I couldn't tell the difference in ride quality between the three setups. I would say that all three are "firm" as well they should be but I can't say that one is firmer than the other. The H&R's are getting an undeserved bad rap around here imo. I've had them on all three cars and again, the ride quality is just fine and comparable to stock. They also got the drop just right with the additional .25" over Eibach. Doesn't sound like much but makes all the difference in closing the gap instead of almost closing the gap.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:16 AM
svb
User

If you have a 4S you can also go with GMG. I had it on my 4S and it was awesome.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:01 PM
wjk_glynn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by okbarnett View Post
you should try the porsche row spring if you complain about hard ride. They are stock in rest of world.
Originally Posted by okbarnett View Post
Ive had row on 2 cars
By chance were they on any 997.2 models? I'd be very interested to know more...

I know back in the day (e.g. 993 days) there were definitely differences between standard US and RoW springs.

But I thought that Porsche had harmonized things by the time the 997.2 came along (and possibly even with the 997.1). And by that I mean a Carrera S with standard PASM (Option 475) in the US has the same springs as a Carrera S with PASM in say the UK or Germany. If a car was fitted with P17 (i.e. options 030 + 220), again the same springs in the US and EU (at least on the 997.2).

Speaking of which, as a quick test I checked the part numbers of the 997.2 front springs in the US, UK and German versions of PET:
-
The part numbers were all identical in each case, right down to the color codes. I'm assuming if the springs were different in the US vs. EU, the part numbers would also have to differ...

Thanks.

Karl.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:26 AM
bloomjbmw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default H&R experience ...and question

I have a 2012 997.2 S w/ standard PASM (no Sport Chrono package). PO had H&R springs, GT3 swaybars installed. I think the car looks fantastic. I dislike the ride quality. As a side note I cannot tell any difference in feel or handling between the PASM “normal” setting and “sport” setting. Since I do not race, ultimate handling is not top priority for me...though I do love the look. I have the stock parts and could return to stock.

Questions:

do the sway bars contribute to the ride harshness? I wouldn’t think so but I’m no suspension expert. Keeping the body roll away is great but again, I could give a little on that to make the car a little more forgiving in ride.

Springs: I’ve read this thread and it seems a bit debatable on which springs are the best compromise for “stock ride quality” while still lowering the car for a nice look. I could accept a 0.25” raise if it gets me back to what I imagine is stock ride quality (I’ve owned a stock Cayman S and have a 986 BS now and while I recognize that both of those lack PASM, they both ride quite nicely to me, and more comfortable than the 997.2).

Thoughts?

P.S. the side markers have been swapped for the clear units since the picture was taken!
Old 04-20-2018, 07:30 AM
bloomjbmw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Your wheels

Originally Posted by ATSR View Post
The only difference between Eibach and TechArt is the price. FYI, the TechArt springs are made by Eibach.

Get the Eibachs. The drop is perfect and the ride quality improvement is substantial. It’s one of the best mods I’ve done to my car. Pic below:

I’ve never seen those wheels on a 997. Can you provide details? I love a wheel with a lip...
Old 04-20-2018, 10:58 AM
nwGTS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bloomjbmw View Post
............do the sway bars contribute to the ride harshness? I wouldn’t think so but I’m no suspension expert. Keeping the body roll away is great but again, I could give a little on that to make the car a little more forgiving in ride.

Springs: I’ve read this thread and it seems a bit debatable on which springs are the best compromise for “stock ride quality” while still lowering the car for a nice look. I could accept a 0.25” raise if it gets me back to what I imagine is stock ride quality (I’ve owned a stock Cayman S and have a 986 BS now and while I recognize that both of those lack PASM, they both ride quite nicely to me, and more comfortable than the 997.2).

Thoughts?........
stabilizer bars do contribute but less so compared to spring rate and damper settings. If you are on H&R now, your best bet to incrementally improve the ride quality is to move to Eibach/Techart or OEM SPASM springs. This is all assuming spring rate and height is what is contributing to your perception of 'ride harshness'.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:13 AM
bloomjbmw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Spring change

well, I read a diy on this...while I’m capable, it looks like a pain. Also since I’ll end up with an alignment, I’d just take it to the local shop.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:59 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn View Post
By chance were they on any 997.2 models? I'd be very interested to know more...

I know back in the day (e.g. 993 days) there were definitely differences between standard US and RoW springs.

But I thought that Porsche had harmonized things by the time the 997.2 came along (and possibly even with the 997.1). And by that I mean a Carrera S with standard PASM (Option 475) in the US has the same springs as a Carrera S with PASM in say the UK or Germany. If a car was fitted with P17 (i.e. options 030 + 220), again the same springs in the US and EU (at least on the 997.2).

Speaking of which, as a quick test I checked the part numbers of the 997.2 front springs in the US, UK and German versions of PET:
-
The part numbers were all identical in each case, right down to the color codes. I'm assuming if the springs were different in the US vs. EU, the part numbers would also have to differ...

Thanks.

Karl.
I believe ROW is the GTS equivalent..... ECS sells them got the part # from another thread i just revived..lol - https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...r-install.html
front - https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...9734353149504/
rear - https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...9733353188504/
Old 04-28-2018, 02:20 PM
wjk_glynn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alex911s View Post
I believe ROW is the GTS equivalent..... ECS sells them got the part # from another thread i just revived..lol - https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...r-install.html
front - https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...9734353149504/
rear - https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...9733353188504/
Hi Alex,

Those two parts are the 997.2 "030" springs:
-
  • They were part of the P17 Sports-PASM (a.k.a. "SPASM") option for 997.2 cars
  • The P17 option also included a mechanical LSD ("220") and at only $950 back in the day, it was a bargain
  • I believe the GTS models did not have P17 as standard, you still had to select it as an option

I put together a list of just the suspension parts in the 997.2 P17 option (if it were to retrofit it to my 2010 C2S): https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post14659093
-
  • If you're ever thinking of replicating the P17 option on your car, I personally don't think you need all the parts that came with the P17 option
  • If it were me, I'd just throw on the 030/SPASM springs (that you listed), and maybe the rear sway bar, and be done

Since the P17 option was available to US and international 997.2 buyers, there isn't a US vs. RoW thing when it comes to springs specifically for the 997.2. They were a worldwide option.

But prior to the 997.2 (and maybe the 997.1, not sure...), there were various true RoW springs. Elephant Racing advertises both M030 and X74 springs with common 996 part numbers for 1999-2012 996/997 models at https://www.elephantracing.com/porsc...-coil-springs/

Front Springs

Rear Springs

The fact that they list common 996 part numbers as fitting across multiple 996/997 models is mystifying to me because I didn't think 996 springs would fit on a 997.2 strut. But that's what they advertise, and they know their stuff...

Does anyone know if you can fit a 996 spring to a 997.2 strut?

Thanks.

Karl.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:45 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn View Post
Hi Alex,

Those two parts are the 997.2 "030" springs:
-
  • They were part of the P17 Sports-PASM (a.k.a. "SPASM") option for 997.2 cars
  • The P17 option also included a mechanical LSD ("220") and at only $950 back in the day, it was a bargain
  • I believe the GTS models did not have P17 as standard, you still had to select it as an option
I put together a list of just the suspension parts in the 997.2 P17 option (if it were to retrofit it to my 2010 C2S): https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post14659093
-
  • If you're ever thinking of replicating the P17 option on your car, I personally don't think you need all the parts that came with the P17 option
  • If it were me, I'd just throw on the 030/SPASM springs (that you listed), and maybe the rear sway bar, and be done
Since the P17 option was available to US and international 997.2 buyers, there isn't a US vs. RoW thing when it comes to springs specifically for the 997.2. They were a worldwide option.

But prior to the 997.2 (and maybe the 997.1, not sure...), there were various true RoW springs. Elephant Racing advertises both M030 and X74 springs with common 996 part numbers for 1999-2012 996/997 models at https://www.elephantracing.com/porsc...-coil-springs/

Front Springs

Rear Springs

The fact that they list common 996 part numbers as fitting across multiple 996/997 models is mystifying to me because I didn't think 996 springs would fit on a 997.2 strut. But that's what they advertise, and they know their stuff...

Does anyone know if you can fit a 996 spring to a 997.2 strut?

Thanks.

Karl.
thanks a lot Karl appreciate the help.... the pricing is high on elepahnt racing..... can buy a KW V3 for that or Bilstein PSS
last time i mod suspension on a 911 was X74 on a 996c2 and x73 on my 996 turbo been awhile.... i just did my '10 boxster S with Vogtland and Bilstein B6 pretty stiff wifey hates it....lol
Old 05-22-2018, 12:24 PM
bhoov14
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bloomjbmw View Post

I have a 2012 997.2 S w/ standard PASM (no Sport Chrono package). PO had H&R springs, GT3 swaybars installed. I think the car looks fantastic. I dislike the ride quality. As a side note I cannot tell any difference in feel or handling between the PASM “normal” setting and “sport” setting. Since I do not race, ultimate handling is not top priority for me...though I do love the look. I have the stock parts and could return to stock.

Questions:

do the sway bars contribute to the ride harshness? I wouldn’t think so but I’m no suspension expert. Keeping the body roll away is great but again, I could give a little on that to make the car a little more forgiving in ride.

Thoughts?

P.S. the side markers have been swapped for the clear units since the picture was taken!
The set-up you listed is what I am planning on building (I was going to purchase Eibach springs, but I can do H+R), If you decide to return to stock please let em know, I would be interested in purchasing from you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lowering springs for 997.2

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: