Sponsored by:

2012 Porsche 911 GTS at Millenia Motors FL

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 12:15 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS Sully
Agree. That tan clashes with the black and that alone would have me pass on the car if I was looking.
In person, my beige with black mats interior got way more positive comments than my usual black and my current black interior on my chalk 991.2 turbo. After having both Black and Tan in a 997.2, I actually prefer the tan now. Looks and feels better in person.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:00 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Two weeks ago, I was talking to a buddy of mine that has a super high end exotic dealership close by that typically handles cars in the $200k + range. They had a GTS that he said was perfect and they got stuck with it for a long time. They finally sold it wholesale at a loss because they could not move it. Accordingly, I would call around and low ball like crazy if you are in the market for one. Someone will likely sell you one cheap.
That’s interesting, and not surprising. Clientele of a dealer that pay $200K+ for cars probably are not in the market for a $60K to $70K GTS so it makes sense that it would be a hard sell. It makes me wonder why the dealer just didn’t offer in trade around what they could get for the car at auction and simply take the profit on whatever the GTS was traded for. I know that a few K here and there add up but if you are not moving volume then whatever you paid for the trade is cash not working for you, and that may negate the profit a dealer is looking to make on a trade in. I know it is not an exact science though and there are a lot of factors that come into play when deciding whether to make a few $K or just sell at auction prices - still, you need to know the market for various brands and the type of people you sell to.

You are right about low balling like crazy. If you pester the dealer enough with offers, and are willing to walk away, it is going to make them think a little harder about whether they want to sell it now and get a few $K less or sit on the cash in the hopes of finding a buyer down the road. I mean, with the cash tied up in a GTS that isn’t moving a dealer could buy other models that are quick sellers. So instead of holding out for the $X thousand dollars profit you are hoping to make you could have parlayed a lower cash offer into a new model that you’d have made more profit from. I don’t mean to suggest that dealers shouldn’t make a profit, it’s just that car sales is a volume business. Unless you are a pretty rich dealer to begin with and care a lot about every penny of profit, negotiate a price you can live with and move on to the next sale.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:15 PM
Paolo123
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Lowball the heck out of it. Nobody wants a beige interior. It will suck once its yours and try to unload it.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:06 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Tan interior and no sport seats would be a deal breaker for many.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:53 PM
HiAperture
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, and here I thought black and tan was a classic look. I say buy whatever you are going to like. They aren't making any more 997 GTS's.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:35 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
I know its preference and some people may like them but alot of people shy away from tan interiors.

mike

agreed. I think it looks awful. I don't want it in any car no matter the exterior color.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:45 PM
Saltybrad
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

I feel horrible we first fell in love with this car at Millenia. I didn't know what a horrible color the tan was when we purchased our 2010 s. But now I guess we will just love our classic black and tan ugly duckling...
Old 03-25-2018, 01:15 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tcc1999

That’s interesting, and not surprising. Clientele of a dealer that pay $200K+ for cars probably are not in the market for a $60K to $70K GTS so it makes sense that it would be a hard sell. It makes me wonder why the dealer just didn’t offer in trade around what they could get for the car at auction and simply take the profit on whatever the GTS was traded for.

They sell a lot of Porsches, both common and rare models, and know the Porsche market as well as anyone . . . and they run their cars on ebay, cars.com, gurus, trader and etc. just as everyone else. GTSs have just become a more difficult sale recently at current price points.

Looks like Millenia's grey/black GTS cab with 10k miles for $74k came from the same situation . . . dealer before Millenia (Porsche of Ocala) could not sell it and ran it through auction to get rid of it before Millenia picked it up just as my buddy did with their GTS. Check out the Carfax.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...6559/overview/

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=WP0CB2A96BS755323&partner=CDM_U

Porsche Ocala had it listed at $83k and dumped it off at auction to get rid of it. Just as my friend, they got in it too high and the market softened.

https://picclick.com/2011-Porsche-91...815168089.html

Last edited by Doug H; 03-25-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:33 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Paolo123
Lowball the heck out of it. Nobody wants a beige interior. It will suck once its yours and try to unload it.
Originally Posted by WantA997
Tan interior and no sport seats would be a deal breaker for many.
Originally Posted by Fined
agreed. I think it looks awful. I don't want it in any car no matter the exterior color.
Lol, market analysis by those with 10 minutes of ownership. White/Beige and black/beige certainly has a broader market than grey/any color or white/black, white/blue or white/red. I just flipped a white/tan and had 2 ask offers and another offer $1k less than ask within 60 hours of listing. Many look for Beige or lighter interiors because black leather gets so hot.

Last edited by Doug H; 03-25-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:04 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

For whatever reasons, GTS are moving slowly right now including the low mileage and certified cars. I have been looking at them closely, but holding out for one with aero kit. I came close to 2 others currently listed and thought about this one. The other two I looked at were super clean certified cars that had been sitting for a while.

My thought was these have bumped up to high into turbo price range. 99% of the time I would purchase the turbo if going to actually drive it, except now I am looking for a pristine GTS with aero kit to put back and never sale.

I think the better purchase right now for most is the last Mezger, 2009 tt or someone the 997.2 tt that had come down to the $80k range. Those turbos will hold value if not wrecked, no paint work and the mileage is kept reasonably in check. I have some smoking deals on 2009 tuirbos.

For whatever reason, the turbo market bottomed out. Could it be cars needing coolant lines pinned . . .
Good point. Some GTS's have been priced lately where they compete with -09 Turbos and even some -10 Turbos with some miles on them. Not sure about how slowly they move if priced right though. Just did a search on Porsche USA and found one single 997 GTS coupe for sale nationwide. A white manual 2012 with 12,620 miles on it for $86,991. http://locator.porsche.com/ipl-custo...ails.ipl?cid=1

Can't imagine they'll get anywhere close to this but will watch to see what happens with it.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:02 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Good point. Some GTS's have been priced lately where they compete with -09 Turbos and even some -10 Turbos with some miles on them. Not sure about how slowly they move if priced right though. Just did a search on Porsche USA and found one single 997 GTS coupe for sale nationwide. A white manual 2012 with 12,620 miles on it for $86,991. http://locator.porsche.com/ipl-custo...ails.ipl?cid=1

Can't imagine they'll get anywhere close to this but will watch to see what happens with it.
Here is a black on black GTS coupe at a Porsche dealership for $78k. It has been sitting for a couple of months.

https://www.aristocratmotors.com/veh...ks-id-22417839

I looked at this black/black GTS a while back and almost pulled the trigger on it for a price lower than their $79k list.

https://porscheofomaha.com/inventory...+Black+1297697

I have actually seen a decent selection of nice 997.2 turbos in the upper $70k to upper $80k range.. IMO, the turbo may be better choice at this price point if you want a driver and a great looking 911.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?mdId=20567&mkId=20081&page=1&perPage=20&prMx=90000&rd=99999&searchSourc e=GN_REFINEMENT&showMore=true&sort=price-highest&yrId=39723&yrId=34923&yrId=27381&zc=37221

Last edited by Doug H; 03-25-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:06 PM
Paolo123
AutoX

Lol, market analysis by those with 10 minutes of ownership. White/Beige and black/beige certainly has a broader market than grey/any color or white/black, white/blue or white/red. I just flipped a white/tan and had 2 ask offers and another offer $1k less than ask within 60 hours of listing. Many look for Beige or lighter interiors because black leather gets so hot.
The fact is light colored interior doesnt as age as well and require more care than a black/red one. This is the reason why most people shy away from it. People chose an interior color because of their preference on how it looks. Its a dumb reason to buy a light colored interior to solve a hot seat/steering wheel problem. All you need is a sun shade and problem solved.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:51 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

The fact is light colored interior doesnt as age as well and require more care than a black/red one. This is the reason why most people shy away from it. People chose an interior color because of their preference on how it looks. Its a dumb reason to buy a light colored interior to solve a hot seat/steering wheel problem. All you need is a sun shade and problem solved.
Lol, yeah those red interiors are in super high demand . . . talking about aging . . . lets see, Beige versus the black alcantara that comes in a lot of the GTSs. Alcantara never held up well in my GT3 or in my 360 CS or my 430 and 458 Challenge cars.

I, however, never had problems with Beige in a 997.2 we bought and just flipped for profit after driving it for a few months or the tans in my Italians over the years . . . and the tan interior in my Elise held up much better than the 3 transmissions I went through and the first engine . . .

Here are some interior pics of the one we just flipped that had 69k miles on it. The interior looked pretty mint and I am the worst at washing or cleaning cars.

Last edited by Doug H; 03-25-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:57 PM
Paolo123
AutoX

Lol, yeah those red interiors are in super high demand . . . talking about aging . . . lets see, Beige versus the black alcantara that comes in a lot of the GTSs. Alcantara never held up well in my GT3 or in my 360 CS or my 430 and 458 Challenge cars.

I, however, never had problems with Beige in a 997.2 we bought and just flipped for profit after driving it for a few months or the tans in my Italians over the years . . . and the tan interior in my Elise held up much better than the 3 transmissions I went through and the first engine . . .

Here are some interior pics of the one we just flipped that had 69k miles on it. The interior looked pretty mint and I am the worst at washing or cleaning cars.

Why compare alcantara with leather? Those are two different materials. Of course leather, black or beige, is going to hold up better. I owned beige leather interior cars before. Personally, I like how it looks but its something I would never do again specially if I plan to keep the car for a long time. I had to spend twice or thrice the effort to keep it looking good than my black interior cars.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:40 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Why compare alcantara with leather?
Because this a thread on GTSs and a whole lot of the black GTS interiors have alcantara, but the GTS with Luxor Beige that I have seen are leather.

I owned beige leather interior cars before. Personally, I like how it looks but its something I would never do again specially if I plan to keep the car for a long time. I had to spend twice or thrice the effort to keep it looking good than my black interior cars.
Have you had Porsche or high end sports cars with beige leather? I have never had a problem with lighter leathers in Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Lotus and so far with Aston Martin. Look at the above. That is a 2010 with 69k miles . . . and attached a DB11 photo by accident instead of 997.2 dash . . .

Cannot compare Honda, Kia, Nissan leather. I had a Lexus RCF briefly when it came out in black leather with like the dark blue ventilation holes and that stuff was coming apart and looking like hell after only a year.

Quick Reply: 2012 Porsche 911 GTS at Millenia Motors FL