Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual unlock keyblade Help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 05:23 PM
jfort
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Are you sure the dealer had the blade ground according to the VIN? I've replaced several Cayenne keys by purchasing from a dealer with no problem. The fob electronics will work, but the blade and door receptacle are mechanical. Also, you are right. Not wise to leave car unlocked. It doesn't go to sleep like a locked car and drains the battery more quickly, compounding the problem.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:00 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by jfort
Are you sure the dealer had the blade ground according to the VIN? I've replaced several Cayenne keys by purchasing from a dealer with no problem. The fob electronics will work, but the blade and door receptacle are mechanical. Also, you are right. Not wise to leave car unlocked. It doesn't go to sleep like a locked car and drains the battery more quickly, compounding the problem.
His key works in the ignition and glovebox. I think that what he's saying is that the car is locked, went into hibernation and his (proper) key does not rotate the door locking cylinder. Locks go bad, get frozen, if unused. It is a good idea to operate the door lock with the key periodically. I would use some WD40 or equivalent and try moving the key gently. This may take several attempts.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:10 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

I feel compelled to ask—did the old key work in the door lock? Is there any possibility that the lock cylinder or even the whole door was changed out sometime in the car’s past?
Old 03-21-2018, 09:18 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Castor Troy
1. "In this case, unlock the driver’s door with the
key at the door lock. " -- How if the KEY BLADE wont turn...
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
No key slot on the passenger side.
Ah, that's right.

I dont love the idea of leaving my car unlocked all the time....
You have the key fob so as long as that works, you should be able to get around to locking and unlocking your car. So even when you unlock it with the key fob, you still can't lock it with the key?

Perhaps, try some WD-40 in the slot to see that might free it up.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:05 PM
Castor Troy
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Going to try WD-40...the suspense is killing you i'm sure..
Old 03-31-2018, 05:06 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Going to try WD-40...the suspense is killing you i'm sure..
You should try to push some WD40 around the rotating barrel. Give it a few tries. Once free, wait a while (days) and squirt in there some LPS or equivalent.
Old 03-29-2022, 11:58 AM
Lance Tran
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes, dealerships will with-hold the spare key. Most will do it when the vehicle is being financed outside of Porsche Financial service. This is typical of smaller dealerships.
Car key replacement in London might be able to program new Fob to car, if they have a security level license; you need to call, ask, price shop.

Last edited by Lance Tran; 03-29-2022 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-29-2022, 05:09 PM
8x57IRS
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 82 Posts

I would urgently follow Petza's recommendation for a dry lubricant like grafit. Liquids like WD-40 accumulate dust and dirt and make the problem worse. Unfortunately, the recommendation persists.
I also think it is a mechanical problem.
When the car is in sleep mode, pulling the door handle is enough to wake it up; then the key will work. No need for mechanical unlock.
Old 03-29-2022, 05:12 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

There are also hybrid Dry lubricants Blaster Dry Lube is one of my favorites. It's a Teflon suspended in a carrier solution so it sprays like an aerosol lubricant but once the carrier solution evaporates away, all that's left is the dry Teflon.
The following users liked this post:
8x57IRS (03-29-2022)

Quick Reply: Manual unlock keyblade Help?