997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is PSE so hard to find in a 997?

Old 03-20-2018, 02:42 AM
Presto
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

PSE not worth the price. I have it so I know. Even the sharkwers paired with PSE is not really that great or aggressive.
id suggest you spend that money on a proper aftermarket side mufflers and center muffler with valves that you can control from inside so that your neighbors don’t hate you.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:52 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by bstmusic
Fined, how did you modify your PSE?

The very common center muffler delete. I have the Sharkwerks bypass in its place. It does sound much much better than just PSE but even with that I still want just a little bit more.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:36 AM
mfonseca
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

I'll have to look into the aftermarket options mentioned above. Thanks to everyone for the information.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:14 AM
Damon88
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2012 997.2 C4S didn't have that option. I had my local dealership price it out at $5800.00... Decided to go with the Gundo Mod and Sharkwerks.. It sounds absolutely awesome.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:22 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,128 Likes on 3,903 Posts

Love the combination of my full Fabspeed setup with their NLA Valved mufflers, tied into my factory PSE control - plenty of sound when you want it and the ability to quiet it down on demand. Mine's a .1 though.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:50 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
You're totally right, but if the OP is in California I'd suggest doing some research before adding an aftermarket exhaust. It doesn't seem like many are approved by CARB (California Air Resources Board) and inspectors seem to know which are okay and which are not.
I live in CA and have PSE on my 2009, and its underwhelming. I got my smog check on Sunday, and after watching the smog tech crawl under my car with a flashlight looking for exhaust mods, i guess I’m content with what I have. But I’m curious what other CA owners have experienced when smog checking their cat back exhausts? I think Fister is in Irvine , so unless people are hanging onto their OEM mufflers (which i totally would do) and swapping them out for smog checks (which I would not do) this probably isn’t a big issue.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:46 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

My well optioned 2011 C4S was ordered and built without PSE. Go figure. I had it added by my indy figuring it’d be the way to go. Porsche OEM and all that.

I agree PSE is underwhelming and certainly not worth the cost. I would go the Fister route if I had it to do over again.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:48 PM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

When I was in the market for a 997.2, I didn't see any new models on dealer lots with PSE. This was before GTS. I ordered mine with PSE, and I'm glad I did.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:28 AM
LISsailor
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 84 Posts

When I originally started shopping cars, PSE was one of my must haves. I quickly realized that fister or other exhaust mod would suffice and that opened up many more cars that would better suit my criteria. Don’t let PSE back you into a car that otherwise would not be your ideal spec. The exhaust is an easy fix. I got the Fister and it’s magical.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:38 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The Gundo is really just the PSE in permanent Sport mode. Isn't Fister essentially the same thing or do they change the internals in the mufflers as well creating the sport exhaust path? My wife's car has the Gundo hack and it sounds great, but its not better than PSE as you lose the valve sound flexibility, but I rum my Fabspeed PSEs 90% in Sport mode anyway, so I'd agree that it's not a must have, but still a nice to have as a value ad.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:04 AM
mfonseca
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
The Gundo is really just the PSE in permanent Sport mode. Isn't Fister essentially the same thing or do they change the internals in the mufflers as well creating the sport exhaust path? My wife's car has the Gundo hack and it sounds great, but its not better than PSE as you lose the valve sound flexibility, but I rum my Fabspeed PSEs 90% in Sport mode anyway, so I'd agree that it's not a must have, but still a nice to have as a value ad.
Would the Gundo or other aftermarket be too loud on a non PSE car since I wouldn't have the ability to control it? I am just afraid that I would grow tired of an aftermarket exhaust on longer drives or days where I am just cruising with the wife.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:35 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mfonseca
Would the Gundo or other aftermarket be too loud on a non PSE car since I wouldn't have the ability to control it? I am just afraid that I would grow tired of an aftermarket exhaust on longer drives or days where I am just cruising with the wife.
Might depend on your threshold for exhaust noise. If on a trip the wife wants the car whisper quiet with the windows up and A/C on, then yes, it will be louder than that all the time. I personally make all my cars louder with performance aftermarket exhausts and am lucky that my wife thinks a Porsche should sound like a Porsche - it's her 997 that has the Gundo mufflers on them and it might actually be louder than my Fabspeeds in Sport mode, until the really high RPMs, where the Fabspeed then screams like an F1 car, but her's sounds great to us - crackles and pops on downshifts, etc. Now the 928 with headers to a Y-Pipe into a performance Borla exhaust and no cats, she says is too loud, but she doesn't ride in that one much.

Here's a video of my Fabspeed's in sport mode on a Drive by and attached is an audio clip of the setup on my Cayenne Turbo S.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:56 PM
Chris Ferrell
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure if it was an issue on the 997.2's, but the 997.1's PSE had issues with the clamps snapping. I've had to weld mine a couple of times. When it snaps, you get a intense rattle at certain rpm's
Old 03-23-2018, 09:06 AM
LISsailor
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mfonseca
Its really only noticeable on the throttle and windows down. Windows up and casual cruising is not intrusive at all.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:54 PM
HiAperture
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems to me a noticeably higher % of Targa 4S models have the Sport Exhaust compared to Coupes. Same with Sport Chrono, Full Leather, and other desirable options. I wonder why that would be, I guess because they were more money to start with people tended to be more generous with options?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why is PSE so hard to find in a 997?