Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel vibration over 80 mph

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 11:20 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Steering Wheel vibration over 80 mph

Does you steering wheel have any vibration at higher speeds like over 80? I'm getting it right around 80-85 mph.
I'm wondering if it should be as smooth at those speeds as it is at standard speeds of 50-70 mph. Any comments welcomed.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:51 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Likely one of a few things. Bent rim/wheel. This is easiest to determine, just have your local tire store check it. Most can be bent back. Next you could have an alignment issue. Some dealers will do a quick check for a small cost. The last one often not looked at first is inner tie rod. I've owned 7 Porsches three of them with over 50k miles, had one bad tie rod. I would have wasted a ton of money if I hadn't checked first and just gone to get an alignment. I don't know how many times I see folks immediately go for the alignment and their problem doesn't go away.

A lot of folks check front suspension issues by jacking up the car and trying to wiggle the wheel back and forth from side to side or back and forth from top to bottom. I've never found this method to work for an inner tie rod with less than a quarter inch of play. I find the best way to determine this is to pop the out tie rod off the hub and grab the inner tie rod and check if it clicks. Three out of three times I got this right, replaced and THEN got my alignment. Replacing a tie rod is not too hard if you bye the $35 too from Harbor Freight. It is high quality and works great!

Anyway this is my two cents .
Old 03-18-2018, 12:23 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Had a jiggle at 125mph.....turned out an outer link on the left front was bad, so I replace both inners and outers and it’s smooth to 150.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:13 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

double check to make sure your
- tires are inflated (tpms sensors would have thrown an error if not)
- all 5 lug bolts are tightened and torqued correctly
- see if there is any glue residue on your wheel if a wheel weight fell off
Old 03-18-2018, 03:02 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

probably balance issue, but could be any number of worn parts or alignment. Check tire pressure and visual of wheels for bends.
This is what road force balancing is for, to determine balance issues that arent pronounced. Have a knowledgeable road force balance shop diagnosis the problem
Old 03-19-2018, 12:19 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Most likely and the simplest is balance issue.
Just make sure that you go to a reputable shop to check the balance. It is incredible how many shops around (and some used by Porsche dealers) do not do good work either due to machine issues or even simply not doing proper machine calibration procedures. Don't ask how I know
Old 03-19-2018, 12:43 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

My car is perfectly smooth up to and beyond 125 so you definitely have a issue with vibration at only 85.

Are the wheels OEM or aftermarket. If aftermarket do they have the exactly correct center bore of 71.6mm to marry to the hubcentric flange on the wheel hub? When you remove a wheel from the car and take out all 5 lug bolts, the center bore should lightly still hold it stuck on the hub. If it falls off when the last bolt is removed, the center bore isn't correct. Also if the wheels are aftermarket are you sure you're using the correct lub bolt seat with them. Porsches OEM wheels take a radius or ball seat (rounded profile), but many aftermarket wheels take a conical or tapered seat and if you use a mismatched bolt and wheel seat type, it can allow the wheel to move around on the bolts at higher speeds.

Are you running spacers and if so, are they hubcentric spacers as these are the only kind that should be used. They have a center bore that marries to the hub and then the same size lip on the spacer to center the wheel bore.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:27 PM
loungin
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

Same issue here. Steering wheel wobbles above 65 mph. I guess it’s a speed limit warning =P

i had it aligned 3 times, changed the tires, had the wheels balanced. Still wobbles. I was thinking to have the shop check for any components that were broken.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:50 PM
jeffleept
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Had similar issue on my last 997. Steering/suspension/wheels cleared by two dealers and an indy. Ended up getting road force balanced again (after one dealership re-balanced) per advice of a colleague on a Hunter GSP 9700, which took away 75% of the problem. Perhaps a bad tire.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:59 PM
Greyghost230
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffleept
Had similar issue on my last 997. Steering/suspension/wheels cleared by two dealers and an indy. Ended up getting road force balanced again (after one dealership re-balanced) per advice of a colleague on a Hunter GSP 9700, which took away 75% of the problem. Perhaps a bad tire.

+1 to the Hunter Road Force system.
Just had both summer and winter's done on the weekend. Ask for a Road Force system to balance. The Road Force will run a cylinder up against the tire as it is spinning and applying pressure just as if the tire was on the road.
From this info, the machine can tell if the tire and wheel are not optimally aligned, and can make a recommendation for rotating the tire on the rim. This would require breaking the seal and turning the tire slightly.
I had never seen this before and was quite impressed. I used to balance tires in my brother's shop as a kid, and we didn't have any technology like this.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:10 AM
JABowders
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Has your car been sitting for a few months? If so, you might just have flat spotted your tires from sitting stationary. and other than replacing your tires, the way around it is to just drive the car and get the tires through a number of heat cycles to help round them out again. Of course one really good 20 minute stint of a HPDE would work as well...

My cars suffer this because my work occasionally requires me to be out and about and way from my stable, and as much as my neighbor enjoys the opportunity to drive them for me all my cars have suffered this form of tire deformation. But with some time off and a few open roads they generally are corrected in no time once I am home.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:50 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Sorry, as a non-member i cannot offer any assistance
Old 03-20-2018, 02:07 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Wheel Vibration

As a User and not a member I wouldn't want your opinion. Honestly, why are you still here. WE were hoping you had left.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:16 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

+1 on the Hunter. They can tell you all kinds of things about your rim and tire.... They told me I had bent rims.... read about it here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...nstallers.html

If they are a good shop, they will break the tire down and spin it to place heavy spots on the tire opposite heavy spots on the rims. Ask them about this.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-20-2018, 02:44 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

No one that I can see picked the simplest and most common cause: worn tires, front or back. Check before anything else.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel vibration over 80 mph