Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$30k 911 budget - what do I need to know?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 11:16 AM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Wow! That's a heck of a nice car and price! To OP, check this car out!!!
Agreed. A good PPI and review of his service records. Then make an offer if everything lines up.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:02 PM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some good advice here... be willing to wait and be patient. If exterior color matters to you, be prepared to be even more patient. If interior and exterior color matter to you--the wait could be long.

Something I don't see mentioned often is that buyers that smoke/eat/drink/etc. in their cars will likely have more remote purchase options. If you (or your intended passenger) insist on new-car-smell you will have to take your nose to the car wherever that may be. Asking a remote seller or PPI provider if the interior smells would be like asking them if the seats are comfortable.

Consider getting to know a salesman at (each of) your local P-car dealership(s). They have lots of return customers and will make you aware of trades coming in. My local dealer wholesales 997.1 that are traded-in rather than putting these "antiques" on their lot. He has a wait list of frugal buyers ready to snap up these low end 911s. In my experience these cars don't last long--sometimes just an hour or two. Be ready to buy or don't bother.

You will likely raise your budget. As your search continues you will come to realize that the extra $6,000-10,000 makes the difference between buying a "compromise car" (with regrets) and an amazing 911 that you really want.

Do your own oil changes. I don't know of a car with easier to change oil and filter than a 997.1. For some reason local Walmart stores sell 0W-40 Mobil 1 for $25 for a five quart bottle. $74 total including a Napa/WIX 7211 filter and fresh drain plug washer. You will need two shallow 5 qt. drain pans.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:27 PM
Zettinger
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

Buy this https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...39053599912584
Take ~2k in your hand to fix shaking passenger seat, I heard the alternator was a bit noisy, front bumper needs a paint job and rip out the cheesy aftermarket radio.
Flush all fluids and filters just to be sure.
Besides the mentioned points, run a PPI.and let the ECU read out for over revs.

I looked a several cars and was amazed what good 997 are on the market but it seems they are getting rare since I bought mine.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:44 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,417 Likes on 2,692 Posts

I suggest waiting for an "S" model - Nicer wheels, more HP & PASM
Old 03-08-2018, 02:10 PM
Zettinger
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
I suggest waiting for an "S" model - Nicer wheels, more HP & PASM
and more bore score.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:43 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Like I've said, these engine issues are such small percentages but on forums like these it gets blown out of proportion - People should enjoy their cars/stay off of facebook and be less paranoid.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:56 PM
soxforce
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really great comments guys - exactly what I need. The $30k isn't so much a stretch, I am budgeting out maintenance in the years ahead. At the mileage range I'll likely be in, the IMS/RMS (maybe a clutch) would ideally have been performed, or I'd need to budget for that too. I am flexible on color (but have favorites as we all do - why are there less awesome reds and whites?!). That is why if I can pull a clean 996 and put a bit into it as explained above, I can have a fun ride for a while. But the deals are out there it seems.

Someone brought up looking nationally - this appeals for 2 reasons, more availability and theoretically better condition if it hasn't been driven in my atrocious New England (rust, roads, poorly tempered drivers . I was thinking about if I saw one up and down east coast, let's say GA or FL. And driving it home as a road trip with my son as someone else commented. How would I go about getting an inspection? Is it appropriate to drive the owners car to a Porsche dealer for this with them, I'd be in unfamiliar territory, what is the protocol in that situation with getting a PPI if I'm somewhere else? I'm assuming call the seller, tell him I'm serious, plan a trip down and organize that way.

I typically buy my cars new, and do not lease. Like to do a lot of research. So its out of the ordinary for me to "be ready to jump" when one comes on the market, instead of taking my time with an example I could always find at a dealer. But being ready to jump with the cash is something I'll have to prepare to do.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:41 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by soxforce
Really great comments guys - exactly what I need. The $30k isn't so much a stretch, I am budgeting out maintenance in the years ahead. At the mileage range I'll likely be in, the IMS/RMS (maybe a clutch) would ideally have been performed, or I'd need to budget for that too. I am flexible on color (but have favorites as we all do - why are there less awesome reds and whites?!). That is why if I can pull a clean 996 and put a bit into it as explained above, I can have a fun ride for a while. But the deals are out there it seems.

Someone brought up looking nationally - this appeals for 2 reasons, more availability and theoretically better condition if it hasn't been driven in my atrocious New England (rust, roads, poorly tempered drivers . I was thinking about if I saw one up and down east coast, let's say GA or FL. And driving it home as a road trip with my son as someone else commented. How would I go about getting an inspection? Is it appropriate to drive the owners car to a Porsche dealer for this with them, I'd be in unfamiliar territory, what is the protocol in that situation with getting a PPI if I'm somewhere else? I'm assuming call the seller, tell him I'm serious, plan a trip down and organize that way.

I typically buy my cars new, and do not lease. Like to do a lot of research. So its out of the ordinary for me to "be ready to jump" when one comes on the market, instead of taking my time with an example I could always find at a dealer. But being ready to jump with the cash is something I'll have to prepare to do.
**I have some good information for you on a 997 - send me an email: cerialephotography@yahoo.com
Old 03-10-2018, 12:23 AM
spdracer35
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Buying a car long distance can be a little unnerving. I have had great experiences (the 997), and terrible ones (previous Audi which had major issues even with a clean dealer PPI). For my car, after spending a lot of time on the phone with the seller (and getting a good feeling about the car), I did some research and found a local independent to perform the PPI, and coordinated everything remotely. The seller had no problem bringing in the car, and the shop called me and spent some time on the phone with me going over the results. It's definitely more leg work than some people want to deal with, but it was worth it for me as I found the right car for me without having to settle.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:50 AM
laphan
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

I was in similar situation with you. I live in Michigan, the pothole and salt capital of USA. I wanted to get a southern car. I broadened my search to nationwide and found mine from Texas.
This forum helped me tremendously by recommending shops for PPI.
Also, you can join PCA and get someone local to help you to look at the car even before PPI.

I bought car from out of state sight unseen twice so far and both worked out good. I definitely would do it again. The first time was unnerving though I tried it with cheap purchase (NC miata) before my 997 😛
Old 03-10-2018, 09:50 AM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

Experts - this is my first Porsche, after research and driving a friends 2000 911, I have committed to looking for the right one for me. But I am overwhelmed.
  • Budget is around $30k, would like to be under
  • "Prefer" a 997 based on several trips to dealers and the condition of 996's I've seen are just ok. I'm in Massachusetts. Condition to me is important, but I understand what I am getting with an older car like this
  • Must be manual, coupe
So my questions are:
  1. What questions should I absolutely ask/know about the history and service?
  2. Are there any red flags that if I see, I should just move on?
  3. Really - should I be concerned about higher mileage 996/997? [Definition of that will vary, but let's just say 70k+ miles]
Thanks for the help.
I'm new to Porsche after a string of nine BMWs. While I was waiting for the last one to sell I had time to do some research. One of the best references I found was a Buyer's Guide from Excellence Magazine ($15, order from their website excellence-mag.com). Very comprehensive coverage on all the models, though I had no interest (nor budget) for the previous air-cooled cars. I was looking at Carreras and Caymans, and settled on an '09 Base 997.2 with 35k miles. Here's what I know to answer about your questions:

1. Ideally you're looking for an enthusiast owner who loved the car and took care of it.
2. IMS bearing is the elephant in the tent. There's lots of information out there on it.
3. No concern about higher mileage car, provided you're buying from the right PO. These are solid well-built cars.

PCA has a trial 6 month membership called Test Drive for about $45 I think. Signing up for that gives you ability to contact members that have cars for sale. You should also look at the For Sale section of this forum. Good luck with your hunt.

Last edited by swingwing; 03-10-2018 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Added sentences.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:36 PM
JJ 88 Cab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like I am going to list my 06 997 coupe in Northeast FL for sale in the next few days. I purchased it last summer from the estate of the original owner, Red/Tan, manual with 48k miles, excellent condition with every service record from new, window sticker, etc. Love the car, had it up at Amelia Island events last weekend, but medical bills are going to force me to sell. It's bit over what you are looking to spend - was thinking about asking $36k but can be a little flexible. Let me know if you (or anyone else) have any interest.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:37 PM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracer35
Buying a car long distance can be a little unnerving. I have had great experiences (the 997), and terrible ones (previous Audi which had major issues even with a clean dealer PPI). For my car, after spending a lot of time on the phone with the seller (and getting a good feeling about the car), I did some research and found a local independent to perform the PPI, and coordinated everything remotely. The seller had no problem bringing in the car, and the shop called me and spent some time on the phone with me going over the results. It's definitely more leg work than some people want to deal with, but it was worth it for me as I found the right car for me without having to settle.
I'm assuming you had your car shipped to you? How was that experience like and was it costly?
Old 03-13-2018, 10:10 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracer35
This is how I bought my 997. Did the majority of the legwork via phone. Carfax first/seller provided service records, then PPI from reputable shop, then negotiated price a little to cover the tires and brakes. We came to an agreement and took a train down the coast, drove home. Easy peasy.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:39 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

I am also in Boston. There are a lot of good advises here and also not so much based on spending too much time on forums. You can contact me if you want and we can go over a few things. One condition: you have to join our local club NER PCA and later start DE events to become a better driver.
Best luck with your search. That is part of fun especially in winter days like today in North East.

Quick Reply: $30k 911 budget - what do I need to know?