Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are there so many (ex-)BMW owners driving Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 11:06 AM
rogersmj
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Late to the thread, but I currently own a BMW and am looking to add a Porsche to the stable. I think there's something inherent to the design and approach of BMW and Porsche that appeal to the same type of people. The...cleanliness? of the designs, the overall Teutonic efficiency. They have the right balance between reserved elegance and striking lines.

I've had two BMWs; a 1997 540i (E39 baby!), which hooked me on BMWs (but also taught me the important caveat of always own a BMW with a warranty). Since we're posting pictures, here's my current whip with its winter wheels on. 2016 340i.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:22 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not still have both?
I don't have a 997, but I have a 80 930 and a 04 996tt. For BMW's, 95 e36 M3, 08 e93 M3 and a 15 x6.

-Jason
Old 03-09-2018, 06:28 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Almost all BMWs used to be great, but that was a long time ago. I owned an '87 325i and a '97 M3. both bought new. Both were great. I'd never own a new one now. They're just not great like they used to be.

BMW sold their soul in their quest for sales and most of their product line is now bland, fat, over-loaded with worthless tech and/or downright boring or ugly. Oh, and also not that reliable often times either.

There are a few exceptions, but modern BMW lost it's enthusiast leanings a long time ago.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:58 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

My little 128i

Name:  jnObM6b.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  851.6 KB
Old 03-09-2018, 06:58 PM
Wpgb
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Almost all BMWs used to be great, but that was a long time ago. I owned an '87 325i and a '97 M3. both bought new. Both were great. I'd never own a new one now. They're just not great like they used to be.

BMW sold their soul in their quest for sales and most of their product line is now bland, fat, over-loaded with worthless tech and/or downright boring or ugly. Oh, and also not that reliable often times either.

There are a few exceptions, but modern BMW lost it's enthusiast leanings a long time ago.
I will agree with you about many of their models, but the X5M I just leased is incredible. Power, handling and overall fit and finish are amazing.

The M buttons are fun and the variety of combinations you can create between suspension, steering, power and transmission settings give the driver tons of ways to shape the personality of the vehicle.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:43 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wpgb

I will agree with you about many of their models, but the X5M I just leased is incredible. Power, handling and overall fit and finish are amazing.

The M buttons are fun and the variety of combinations you can create between suspension, steering, power and transmission settings give the driver tons of ways to shape the personality of the vehicle.

Yeah I get the fun of a brand new car. And, no disrespect intended towards you AT ALL, but the fact that BMW slapped it's (once) respected M badge on a 5000 pound SUV as a lame marketing ploy was one of the many moments I realized BMW was no longer "BMW" for me
Old 03-09-2018, 09:09 PM
Wpgb
Rennlist Member

Yeah I get the fun of a brand new car. And, no disrespect intended towards you AT ALL, but the fact that BMW slapped it's (once) respected M badge on a 5000 pound SUV as a lame marketing ploy was one of the many moments I realized BMW was no longer "BMW" for me
Yeah, no offense “AT ALL” to you either, but I’m sure you’re one of those nostalgic guys who would argue that the last real BMW was the 2002 lmao. Go drive the 567 HP twin turbo V8 X5M before you comment on it then maybe you’ll have some actual experience behind your opinions.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:26 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Yeah, no offense “AT ALL” to you either, but I’m sure you’re one of those nostalgic guys who would argue that the last real BMW was the 2002 lmao. Go drive the 567 HP twin turbo V8 X5M before you comment on it then maybe you’ll have some actual experience behind your opinions.

Oh I have. They're a big and fast SUV. Kinda not at all what M was about, but hey, I didn't mean to get your panties in a twist. Enjoy your SUV. Sounds like BMW's modern philosophy fits you perfectly.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:35 PM
Wpgb
Rennlist Member

Oh I have. They're a big and fast SUV. Kinda not what M was about, but I didn't mean to get your panties in a twist. Enjoy your SUV.
No need to be antagonistic with the panties comment, bud lmao.

Like you, I’m also allowed to have an opinion and to make a point. What’s important to realize is that the X5M is essentially the equivalent of the M5 sitting on the X5 platform. Wait. I just remembered that’s irrelevant. The M5 isn’t a “real” BMW either.

Meanwhile, we’re on a 997 forum so enough with the BMW debate. How about we agree to disagree and you can just accept that others may have opinions that differ from yours.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:45 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

What’s important to realize is that the X5M is essentially the equivalent of the M5 sitting on the X5 platform. Wait. I just remembered that’s irrelevant. The M5 isn’t a “real” BMW either.

Meanwhile, we’re on a 997 forum so enough with the BMW debate. How about we agree to disagree and you can just accept that others may have opinions that differ from yours.
Hmm pretty sure I said the marketing ploy to slap the M badge on a 5000 lb. SUV was lame. I never said a proper sports sedan like the M5 wasn't a "real BMW", unless now the M5 is a family hauler pushing 2.5 tons now?

Anyway, yep. Drive what you want; think what you want as well; none of it is my concern.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:13 PM
Wpgb
Rennlist Member

Hmm pretty sure I said the marketing ploy to slap the M badge on a 5000 lb. SUV was lame. I never said a proper sports sedan like the M5 wasn't a "real BMW", unless now the M5 is a family hauler pushing 2.5 tons now?

Anyway, yep. Drive what you want; think what you want as well; none of it is my concern.
waaaait a second....you said that ever since BMW put an M badge on an SUV that BMW was no longer BMW to you. So, given that the M5 that the X5M is based on was designed and manufactured concurrently with the X5M, you did indeed imply that the M5 - at least the current generation and the one immediately before this one - isn’t a real BMW in your view.

Plus, I think I’ll rely on BMW to interpret what an M car is and isn’t “supposed” to be. No offense to you, but BMW’s M division is charged with taking their normal production cars and giving them dramatically enhanced performance characteristics...something that I think anyone who drives the X5M could agree they’ve accomplished.

Times change and the market calls for - and buys - BMW M platforms other than a small 2 door or 4 door coupe.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:20 PM
Rodie
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Also in this group...

Had an E32, E36, E39, E46, and E53. First Porsche not quite a year ago. For me, the 997 is a great 'fun' car and a BMW (or Audi for that matter) makes a better DD for me.

I gave these up for my 997....!

Old 03-10-2018, 01:04 AM
911grizzly
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Owned 5 BMWs in my life

First was a 1972 Bavaria I bought used from my father, a few years after convincing him to buy one of the first BMWs imported to Canada. The last one was an E34 series M5, replaced with my 997 in 2011.

Then BMW built the X6. A monstrosity of a vehicle. BMW has lost its way on the way to increased profitability, although some of the Euro only models are still OK for drivers rather than the poseurs who buy most of them.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:02 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

i have thinned the bimmer herd as i've ramped up on p-cars but these i have trouble letting go...
na is good

e46 zhp

e46 m3

e39 e46 m's

e92 m
Old 03-10-2018, 05:48 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One is a sports car and the other is a sports sedan? Im sure BMW puts out a great car and Ive wanted to buy more than one over the years. But my first, real 'I gota have it car was a 911' (meaning cars that I could afford). I just adjusted the year to fit in my budget at the time. Now Porsche makes SUV's, 4 door models etc so the lines are blurred a little. But a 911 is iconic across the board.

I do have a full sized Range Rover that has BMW guts so I guess I do own a BMW in a strict sense. I also would love to have a mid 2000's 7 series to add to the fleet but I read they are maintenance nightmares. But what do I know?.......... I read the same thing about Range Rovers and Ive been blessed by a great rig for many, many years.

Quick Reply: Why are there so many (ex-)BMW owners driving Porsche?