Sponsored by:

Apple CarPlay Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 11:08 PM
Raky
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apple CarPlay Install Questions

Hey guys, I did a search but was hoping for a little clarity. I have an 07 Targa 4S with factory Bose system and navigation. I am interested in swapping out this unit with perhaps a Kenwood unit with Apple CarPlay. It appears that I will need a wiring harness to work with the Bose speakers from what I read. A few questions:

Is it possible to use the factory Bose speakers/factory amp and steering wheel controls with an aftermarket headunit?
Will sound quality be better? What is the approximate cost of a project like this?
The headunit I am looking at is around $500. I am estimating at least $1000 including labor but am I totally off?
What parts will be needed?
Also, how long would it take a professional installer to do?

I found a shop in Houston that can do it but I have only spoken with them on the phone. They have not given me many details and I would like to appear somewhat knowledgeable so I don't get ripped off.

I just simply want to be able to use Pandora in my car. It is surprising that the car doesn't have an Aux jack (at least I haven't found one - just got the car on Sunday).
Old 02-21-2018, 11:43 PM
rwdds
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Congratulations on your new toy and welcome to the club. The OEM Nav and audio equipment in these 997 models was so bad...

Full disclosure: In my opinion, Bose equipment is cheap and unworthy. This is my opinion alone an with that being said:

Yes. You can use the factory Bose amp & speakers with an aftermarket headunit, but mine didn't have the steering wheel controls, so I don't know if the wheel buttons will still work, but it's doubtful. Someone else on the forum may have first hand knowledge that it does.

You will still get the same audio field/distortion and audio quality inherent in the Bose product line. It will work, perhaps with a slightly improved dynamic range, etc., but don't expect it to be totally improved. If you like Bose... go with it.

Estimate between 300-600 labor to swap the headunits and install connections.

You will need the radio harness (you are aware) to match the modern output connectors on the Kenwood to the dated Bose amp. You'll also need an antenna adapter and a dash kit to properly finish the dash surround surface surrounding the new HU.

Time to install could be 1-3 days, depending on your audio guy's skill level, experience, shop efficiency and such. I would make sure they have had experience doing other 997's, if possible.

It will still be totally worth it.

Have fun with your new addiction!
Old 02-22-2018, 11:46 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Odd, I was under the impression from everything I read that with Bose you either need a MOST-HUR converter/adapter (cheap ones on ebay or $500-ish from NAV-TV) or else have to change out the amp and all the speakers. The reason I haven't done it to mine as of yet, still sticking with the Tranzit and OEM PCM until it croaks.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:01 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

If you swap out the head unit, you lose all of the Trip computer and other features of you have sports chrono using the OEM display. If you keep the bose amplifier... then yes you need the fiber optic Most TV adapter to have it talk to the new head unit. To add GPS and/or XM you will need a new antenna/LNA for that as well. The small wire from it need to go through the firewall if you place it in the normal spot. I opted to not do that and just placed mine in the corner of the windshield. That fiber optic connector has itty bitty parts that can drive you crazy. I would not trust a shop to do this for you, unless they have done a few already. You can bypass the Bose amp too if you want, or add your own amp...then you don't need the Most fiber adapter. However if you have the six disc CD changer, it becomes a useless piece of weight if you do that. A person in the UK was able to get a PCM 3.0 to work with the 997.1, and that would be good to do. But he spent lots of time doing it. Its in the UK Porsche Boards.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:10 PM
Raky
Intermediate

Thanks guys! I still need to take a trip to the audio shop. They are supposed to call me today to give me an idea of what all is needed. In doing some research however, I think Pioneer may be a better choice than Kenwood.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:13 PM
Raky
Intermediate

@DC911S I have the sport chrono package. I don't see myself ever using it but if I wanted to, couldn't I access it from screen under the speedometer?
Old 02-22-2018, 12:30 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

You can activate sport mode, but you will not be able to have access to any of the sports chrono control or features using the non-OEM head unit that use the screen of the OEM head unit. Nobody makes a new head unit that keeps full OEM functions that lets you keep sports chrono and trip computer functions. If they did, it would sell quite well.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:33 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure you want/need to go thru all this grief for CarPlay/Pandora? Think about it
Old 02-22-2018, 03:01 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I can stream Pandora (Spotify in my case) and GPS through the stock PCM with my Tranzit. Personally I don't see the point in having my phone screen mirrored on the stereo, I mean it's not like I'm going to go on facebook at a stoplight. I don't even bother with a phone mount, just rest it on the console in front of the shifter boot and against the stack below the AC controls where I could see the GPS map out the corner of my eye if I really needed to, but I prefer to just listen to the voice commands, it's a lot safer.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:31 PM
Raky
Intermediate

@Ben Z can you please give me more info regarding Tranzit:

1. Cost including install?
2. Where to get it?

I will only drive this car 2k miles a year or so. I really like the stock look and would be good with just an aux jack of some sort.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:41 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Raky
@Ben Z can you please give me more info regarding Tranzit:

1. Cost including install?
2. Where to get it?

I will only drive this car 2k miles a year or so. I really like the stock look and would be good with just an aux jack of some sort.
You can get the Tranzit Blu Hf from Amazon (http://a.co/6xdGj0d) or eBay even. They're all around the $70-$80 range.
You may need an antenna adapter in addition to the module I think - or maybe they come with the adapter (<$10 online)
Installation should be simple enough as the module fits behind the PCM and you can route the mic to the vanity mirror or near the steering wheel.

I have this setup in my car, although.. Having done a head unit swap in my old 997, I'm looking to do it now as well

Thanks
Shyam

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay Install Questions