Sponsored by:

Paintable Side Skirts

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 01:58 PM
Zachy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paintable Side Skirts

I've done quite a bit of research, exercising the google, rennlist and 6sp** search buttons. Information is kinda spread all over the place, and I can't seem to find a definitive answer to my ultimate question.

Here's what I know:
The earlier 997 GT2 paintable (primed) OEM side skirts are discontinued. Can't find them anywhere.
Those GT2 side skirts were used as replacements/mods to 997.1 widebody cars, including my 997.1 TT.
The 997 GTS had a similar or perhaps identical side skirt to the GT2. The GTS is a widebody configuration.
The GTS side skirt (primed) part number is 997-504-982-82 (right side). Similar number for left.
I have read that ALL wide body 997s have compatible side skirt mounts for factory options. I can't personally verify this.
I'm not interested in the matte black, non-paintable skirts. Nor non-OEM skirts. Nor the "basic" or standard skirt.

What I want to know:
Is the the GTS part number 997-504-982-82 compatible with the 997.1TT?
Is it essentially the same as the GT2 side skirt (discontinued)?

Thanks to anyone with explicit knowledge on this.
Cheers,
John
PS: I think I'll cross post on the busier 997 forum as well.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:32 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 160 Posts

The answer to your first question is yes.
The answer to your second question is also yes.

The 997.1 and .2 TT's side skirts are flat/smooth across the length of the skirt.

The GT2 skirts have a quarter twist for... reasons... and the GTS skirt, being identical to the GT2's, also shares that twist. So, if replacing a TTs skirts with the part number you have above, you will get the more aggressive looking quarter twist version. Most importantly, the mounting points and parts are all the same. So they are plug and play.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:58 PM
Zachy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks nwGTS. You da skirt-man!
Old 02-19-2018, 04:36 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

aside from different styles, models, shapes of rocker panels (side skirt is rocker panel) a widebody car has to have those rocker panels. Narrow body cars dont have them. All the wide body cars have the receiver holes under the sides. Doesnt matter if its a 4s, tt, gt2, gts they all have the holes and just get (may get) different looking rockers. But they all go in the same place the same way
And if youre trying to figure if you can paint them or not, everything is paintable.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:38 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by okbarnett
aside from different styles, models, shapes of rocker panels (side skirt is rocker panel) a widebody car has to have those rocker panels. Narrow body cars dont have them. All the wide body cars have the receiver holes under the sides. Doesnt matter if its a 4s, tt, gt2, gts they all have the holes and just get (may get) different looking rockers. But they all go in the same place the same way
And if youre trying to figure if you can paint them or not, everything is paintable.
What he is referring to is not the rocker panel. Rocker panel on unibody cars like the 997 are beneath the door sill. It’s what this side skirt attaches too. Rocker panels are a part of the body. This is just a decoration.
i realize this seems persnickety but they are two very different pieces of a car in that one is an actual part of the body and the other is just jewelry.

Porsche calls these both Rocker Molding and Sill Cover in PET which doesn’t clarify matters.

Quick Reply: Paintable Side Skirts